+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flitcroft

Mansfield's full statement.

Mansfield Town can announce that the contract of David Flitcroft as manager has been terminated.

Head of football operations Greg Abbott, assistant manager Ben Futcher, goalkeeping coach Ian Pledger and performance analyst Dan Ashby have also been released from their positions.

Academy manager John Dempster has been appointed as first team manager and will be responsible for all of the club’s football operations.

In a statement, chairman John Radford said: “It is with a heavy heart that we part company with David and his staff, however, the decision has been made with the best interests of Mansfield Town Football Club in mind.

“Despite a season of progress, we were unable to fulfil our primary objective of earning promotion to League One, despite having a number of games to achieve this ambition.

“We thank David and his staff for their tireless endeavours and part ways amicably. David and his staff have been highly professional throughout their tenures and we wish them genuine success in the future.”

Commenting on the new appointment of John Dempster as manager, Mr Radford said: “In John, we have a man who is considered to be one of the brightest and most innovative young coaches in football.

“His success with the youth team over the past few seasons has been remarkable and he now deserves the opportunity to manage the first team.

“John will have our full backing. He is appointed as manager of a club which is widely considered as one of the best operations in football.

“His rebuilding process starts today and we encourage all Stags’ supporters to welcome John into the position as a new era at One Call Stadium gets under way.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Sacking Flitcroft would obviously have been a bit like Notts sacking Nolan after our play off failure. Call it madness if you like, but with the benefit of hindsight, we would have been better off doing that then recruiting without any pressure and letting the new man build his own squad.

The big but with this is making the Kiwomya type appointment that followed. For that reason, I don't think it was a brave decision, more like a financial one. Bet on them for relegation next year when they can't afford their loanees from their Red mates. It's the kind of thing Elite would do and then we all wish we'd done the same by January.
    True. If you're going to sack a manager, now is the time to do it, not 5 games into a new season. At least this new bloke (can't remember his name) will have time to get the players he wants in.

It's a massive gamble though, and one you'd surely only take if the main reason was to save cash. The fact that Abbot and the rest of the coaching staff have also gone shows that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    He is appointed as manager of a club which is widely considered as one of the best operations in football.”
    Yes, I'm sure most of the football world looks up to a lower-league club that splashes money around but achieves absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Yes, I'm sure most of the football world looks up to a lower-league club that splashes money around but achieves absolutely nothing.
    How arrogant, they're not sustainable and are reliant on their chairman paying the bills. I'd say Accrington Stanley and Burton are actually the best run football clubs

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Next thing will be an accidental photo of Carolyn with a dildo
    Ugh, I think I'd rather see Hardy's cock tbh

True. If you're going to sack a manager, now is the time to do it, not 5 games into a new season. At least this new bloke (can't remember his name) will have time to get the players he wants in.

It's a massive gamble though, and one you'd surely only take if the main reason was to save cash. The fact that Abbot and the rest of the coaching staff have also gone shows that too.
    I don't see it as a massive gamble at all, Radford appears to be a savvy businessman ,he doesn't come across as rash or emotional when it comes to his dealings with MTFC (if only all owners were more like him)

He has invested in a concerted effort to get promotion over the last 3 years while raising the profile of the club and they have fallen just short on the field.

To me it looks like he's weighed up the options and looked at next season and decided that Flitcroft is not the man to take his football club on, he's identified a viable candidate for his replacement from within the club who he has worked with for several years and he has been promoted,it may even point to a strategy of promoting youth prospects the club has developed who will move up with their manager, We know as well as anyone that a big name coming in as manager doesn't guarantee success.

i wouldn't be surprised if he already had his plan A B and C strategy for next season organised long before the penalty shootout in the week

his letter announcing the news of DF leaving and thanking him and his team for their efforts while keeping the fans in the loop about his replacement showed a level of class we haven't seen at our club in a long long time

I don't think they'll struggle next season they have a strong spine to the squad and stability off the field which at L2 level seems to go a long way, maybe not dead certs for promotion this time around but they'll still be in the mix for the playoffs

Talk of them going into financial meltdown and 'doing a notts' next season seems to be bitter wishful thinking

Agreed - cringy reading mosts post in this thread.

Maybe not getting rid, but certainly cutting their cloth accordingly. Three seasons of top-three budgets and nothing to show for it.

This season for the Stags seemed a bit like that year Trew threw money at Curle to get us out of L1, when we missed out on the playoffs on goal difference. He cut the budget the next year and then replaced Curle with Kiwomya, saying similar things about how talented a coach he was. The rest is history.
    I was thinking the same, will the players have respect for inexperienced manager.

Flitcroft is a liability. His post match interviews were an embarrassment...in fact they weren't interviews at all, just monologues full of clichés and ramblings. No wonder Chippers is glad to see the back of him. Mansfield will never have a better chance to be promoted and his results recently have been poor.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    Flitcroft is a liability. His post match interviews were an embarrassment...in fact they weren't interviews at all, just monologues full of clichés and ramblings. No wonder Chippers is glad to see the back of him. Mansfield will never have a better chance to be promoted and his results recently have been poor.
    Irrespective of his interview skills he did a solid job and is rewarded with the boot. Who would want to manage a football club at this level?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast