+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Deid - 1989 League Cup Final-related individual

Deid - 1989 League Cup Final-related individual

GB (George) Smith of Edinburgh, who awarded the tax-dodging version of the blue meanies a penalty in the 89-90 League Cup Final when McCoist backed into 6, and pirouetted to the floor like a low-rent, but less-masculine Wayne Sleep, to allow Walters to score an equaliser. Smith was booed ON to the field the following week when he refereed at Pittodrie (v Motherwell if my memory is intact).

He had previous, but with the opposite effect. Hark back to the 80-81 League Cup quarter final second leg at Pittodrie, with the filth leading 1-0 from the first leg (McMaster Johnston kiss of life etc), he awarded us TWO penalties as we won 3-1 and 3-2 on aggregate, the second coming in the dying seconds of the game as Hewitt was bundled over by Colin Jackson, just outside the box. Smith consulted with the linesman, deciding they couldn't be arsed with extra time and gave the penalty which Strachan converted.

Nae idea how old he was.

Surely nae off topic min

Phoenix introduced "Deid" in Off Topic many phases of the moon ago, and in his memory (a year ago last week since we buried him) it should continue.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Phoenix introduced "Deid" in Off Topic many phases of the moon ago, and in his memory (a year ago last week since we buried him) it should continue.
    Fair dos, fair dos

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Ach sorry to hear that about Phoen. Kent it'd been a while since he'd been on here.

Aye, we didnae get much out of Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrmntr75 View Post
    Ach sorry to hear that about Phoen. Kent it'd been a while since he'd been on here.
    Pete died on 26 April last year.

His funeral was on 3 May, the 38th anniversary of our winning the League at Easter Road. Bright sunshine, a great rural setting and commemorative input from a Humanist celebrant who talked warmly of Pete, whose first words were to the Glasgow-accented celebrant on a previous meeting "Ye're nae a hun, are ye?" and Stooge who spoke affectionately about the aul radge.

I was picked up at the hoose for the funeral at about 10.15. I got hame at around 2 next morning. He's left instructions that every beer drunk in Spin post-funeral was on him.

I think he'd have enjoyed it himsel.