+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Net spend

Quote Originally Posted by Nufcian View Post
    The reason our net spend is so low is we have sold off players that really had any value, and the SQUAD has become progressively worse over the last few seasons.

Out best player of this season (Rondon), last season (Kenedy) aren’t our players even FFS.

We’ve downgraded the squad and it’s taken years to get to where we are now, but the best striker on OUR books is deemed surplus to requirement in any Premiership team he’s been a member of, and we’ve got little to none premiership quality strength in depth and have survived because of a proven manager.

Also...I haven’t even read Ghosts comments, I saw they were long, and they’ll be the same we can’t compete so we shouldn’t bother, and should be happy with why we have... either he’s a wind up merchant or he’s just a bit simple.
    Nail on head comes to mind.

The reason our net spend is so low is we have sold off players that really had any value, and the SQUAD has become progressively worse over the last few seasons.
    The reason why our net spend is so low is due to players gaining in value and wanting out when they were touted by bigger clubs.
    All we could do is take advantage of the higher value.
    What else can the club do if a player wants out, but to get the best price for that player.

Out best player of this season (Rondon), last season (Kenedy) aren’t our players even FFS.
    Rondon's been a great addition, on loan but there's a few players that have been as good and came good. kenedy isn't one of those players. I recall many fans not being overly excited about Rondon but hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?
    We’ve downgraded the squad and it’s taken years to get to where we are now,
    No we haven't downgraded the squad.
    We've spent a lot less in cash on the squad but the squad is far better, in my opinion.

but the best striker on OUR books is deemed surplus to requirement in any Premiership team he’s been a member of, and we’ve got little to none premiership quality strength in depth and have survived because of a proven manager.
    We've got enough premiership quality strength in depth. It may not be top 8 premiership quality strength in depth but is definitely more than capable of holding its own in the premiership as it stands, with or without Rafa.

Too much smoke's been blown up his aris as if he's some kind of miracle worker. He's a decent manager but this same squad of players would have avoided relegation with many managers, as long as they respected the manager in charge of them. In my honest opinion.

Rafa's a miracle worker, no doubt. Not only in how he has made the team perform, but also in how he has acted in the past transfer windows under very restrained conditions bar the first fizzy window. He's managed to bring in some gems for very little money - we are saying all of these positive things and still we only finished 13th.

So obviously, either way you twist and turn it, we need to spend more money than we have done in the past to acquire the players to take us to the next level. Pretty basic, isn't it?

No we haven't downgraded the squad.
    We've spent a lot less in cash on the squad but the squad is far better, in my opinion.

This is simply comedy gold.

Yes I know, "It's your opinion and you are entitled to it!"

A great excuse for talking bollox.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Rafa's a miracle worker, no doubt. Not only in how he has made the team perform, but also in how he has acted in the past transfer windows under very restrained conditions bar the first fizzy window.
    He's no miracle worker. He's a decent manager who's being allowed a lot of rope...something many managers would not get at this point in time, fur us for the same returns.

He's managed to bring in some gems for very little money - we are saying all of these positive things and still we only finished 13th.
    Yes he's managed to bring in some gems and some duffs as well. Most managers tend to do stuff like that.
    We finished 13th with a decent enough squad after 3 and a quarter seasons at the helm. I expect us to do that as a minimum with what he's had to deal with in that time.
    He hasn't been afforded paupers wages. nor paupers bartering in his time. He just hasn't been afforded the high end wages of players or transfer fees which I would expect him not to considering what we're up against, among many other clubs chasing scraps.
    He's paid top end wages to edge us forward and up to now he's doing no better than reasonable.

So obviously, either way you twist and turn it, we need to spend more money than we have done in the past to acquire the players to take us to the next level. Pretty basic, isn't it?
    No need to twist anything. I have my thoughts and you have yours.
    Spending more money is what we're doing. Almiron is a latest example and I'd hazard a guess that we'll spend more money in the double figures of millions at a time on a player or 3.

As for taking us to the next level. It depends on what kind of money he thinks he needs to do that and also what fans think is the next level.
    The next level for me is cementing a top 10 place and inching towards the top 7.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    He's no miracle worker. He's a decent manager who's being allowed a lot of rope...something many managers would not get at this point in time, fur us for the same returns.

Yes he's managed to bring in some gems and some duffs as well. Most managers tend to do stuff like that.
    We finished 13th with a decent enough squad after 3 and a quarter seasons at the helm. I expect us to do that as a minimum with what he's had to deal with in that time.
    He hasn't been afforded paupers wages. nor paupers bartering in his time. He just hasn't been afforded the high end wages of players or transfer fees which I would expect him not to considering what we're up against, among many other clubs chasing scraps.
    He's paid top end wages to edge us forward and up to now he's doing no better than reasonable.

No need to twist anything. I have my thoughts and you have yours.
    Spending more money is what we're doing. Almiron is a latest example and I'd hazard a guess that we'll spend more money in the double figures of millions at a time on a player or 3.

As for taking us to the next level. It depends on what kind of money he thinks he needs to do that and also what fans think is the next level.
    The next level for me is cementing a top 10 place and inching towards the top 7.
    You just stated we are on the next level squad wise since Ashley has taken over...we could have cemented top 10 with more investment last year..and on and on...

About time you stopped supporting Ashley and started supporting Newcastle United.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeshearer View Post
    You just stated we are on the next level squad wise since Ashley has taken over...we could have cemented top 10 with more investment last year..and on and on...
    I didn't state anything of the sort.

I didn't state anything of the sort.
    Sorry if I misunderstood...it's hard to keep up with which part of the Ashley regime you are defending.

You DID say we have not spent any money but the squad is better in your opinion...

Now in this context it Has to be since Rafa has been in charge...which is also b0ll0x...

So please put me right. At what stage of us not spending did the squad become better?

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeshearer View Post
    Sorry if I misunderstood...it's hard to keep up with which part of the Ashley regime you are defending.

You DID say we have not spent any money but the squad is better in your opinion...

Now in this context it Has to be since Rafa has been in charge...which is also b0ll0x...

So please put me right. At what stage of us not spending did the squad become better?
    When did we not spend under Rafa?
    And by spend I mean using money gained from transfers out.

When did we not spend under Rafa?
    And by spend I mean using money gained from transfers out.
    Was that an answer to my question? Couldn't make anything up? Try again. ..

And keep in context Wilf...it started with you saying we've had no net spend but the squad is better!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)