+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The only mistake last night was ...........

The only mistake last night was ...........

...... the selection of Jacob Murphy. I don't want to knock an individual for us not progressing but what he 'brings to the party' I just don't know. He is far too lightweight, often shirks the tackle, chooses the wrong option and doesn't exert himself to get the ball if it doesn't come straight to him. I'm sure that Jimmy Morrison would have been a much better selection. Having said this, as I've said in another post, I thought that as a team, we gave our all and deserve great credit for the performance last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    ...... the selection of Jacob Murphy. I don't want to knock an individual for us not progressing but what he 'brings to the party' I just don't know. He is far too lightweight, often shirks the tackle, chooses the wrong option and doesn't exert himself to get the ball if it doesn't come straight to him. I'm sure that Jimmy Morrison would have been a much better selection. Having said this, as I've said in another post, I thought that as a team, we gave our all and deserve great credit for the performance last night.
    Completely Agree..

I would rather us have played Leko or Edwards than Murphy.

I think that was possibly the only thing Shan got wrong last night.

It was an awesome performance, just wish we'd had another forward player on the bench instead of Montero, who was never going to get on.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Completely Agree..

I would rather us have played Leko or Edwards than Murphy.

I think that was possibly the only thing Shan got wrong last night.
    an experienced manager would have taken brunt off at half time,and would not have leko take such a early pen neither hegazi.

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    an experienced manager would have taken brunt off at half time,and would not have leko take such a early pen neither hegazi.
    Completely disagree,

For the following reasons..

- Brunt wasn't even booked at half time.
    - We were most threatening from set pieces, why would you take off your key set piece taker?
    - Brunt should have been trusted, with his experience, not to slide in as he did on a yellow
    - Leko didn't take a penalty
    - We had few attacking options left at full time to take penalties
    - To blame Shan for losing is poor

Seems people think its easy to criticise 'lack of experience'....

I thought Shan got his tactics spot on across the two legs. A combination of bad refereeing calls, injury and sendings off was what lost us the tie

Brunts lack of control. I really felt we were home and dry before the sending off. The substitutions did nothing for strengthening our hand regarding a penalty shoot out. Smith was forward looking in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Brunts lack of control. I really felt we were home and dry before the sending off. The substitutions did nothing for strengthening our hand regarding a penalty shoot out. Smith was forward looking in this regard.
    Difference was we had a lot of enforced substitutions...

Johanson, Phillips, JRod all came off with injury/tiredness,

Murphy came off for tactical reasons because Brunt was sent off.

Completely disagree,

For the following reasons..

- Brunt wasn't even booked at half time.
    - We were most threatening from set pieces, why would you take off your key set piece taker?
    - Brunt should have been trusted, with his experience, not to slide in as he did on a yellow
    - Leko didn't take a penalty
    - We had few attacking options left at full time to take penalties
    - To blame Shan for losing is poor

Seems people think its easy to criticise 'lack of experience'....

I thought Shan got his tactics spot on across the two legs. A combination of bad refereeing calls, injury and sendings off was what lost us the tie
    I totally agree with you Shan/Appleton/Reid got the tactics spot on in both games and only our lack of legs in midfield cost us as to be honest they have all season the only mistake in hindsight Shan made was not having Field on the bench last night.

Difference was we had a lot of enforced substitutions...

Johanson, Phillips, JRod all came off with injury/tiredness,

Murphy came off for tactical reasons because Brunt was sent off.
    None of it helped did it 123. Next season now.

Regarding Leko not taking a penalty. EXACTLY! Leko didn't take a penalty. What use was that? didn't have the nerve? All forwards should step up to the plate.
    Last edited by boingy; 15-05-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)