+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:-Henry Miller.

O/T:-Henry Miller.

Its pretty certain that most of you are younger than me and will never have heard of this author, and you will never have read anything like this before. Part of posting this is trying to keep his work alive. Part of his fame was about the ***ual content in his novels, which was as kinky as it gets, but that is not the point of his work.

If one person reads Miller it will be worth it. It is beyond the scope of my powers to describe him, but the first five pages of the Tropic Of Capricorn are some of the best ever written. Some say what comes after is better.

The forword, or as Miller puts it..Historia Calamitum, the story of my misfortunes, is written by Peter Abelard.

Often the hearts of men and women are stirred, as likewise they are soothed in their sorrows, more by example than by words.
    And therefore, because i too have known sufferings which have sprung out of my misfortunes, for the eyes of one who, though absent, is of himself ever a consoler.
    This i do so that, in comparing your sorrows to mine, you may discover that yours are in truth nought, or at most small account,and so shall come to bear them more easily.

And your consoler is me...a Cambridge fan. Your sufferings compared to mine are nowt. Miller ended up as a tramp in Paris, then wrote about it a god like way.....
    Last edited by SwalePie; 15-05-2019 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Added omitted O.T. prefix

Read the lot.. "If it was not good, it was true; if it was not artistic, it was sincere; if it was in bad taste, it was on the side of life." ..

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    Its pretty certain that most of you are younger than me and will never have heard of this author, and you will never have read anything like this before. Part of posting this is trying to keep his work alive. Part of his fame was about the ***ual content in his novels, which was as kinky as it gets, but that is not the point of his work.

If one person reads Miller it will be worth it. It is beyond the scope of my powers to describe him, but the first five pages of the Tropic Of Capricorn are some of the best ever written. Some say what comes after is better.

The forword, or as Miller puts it..Historia Calamitum, the story of my misfortunes, is written by Peter Abelard.

Often the hearts of men and women are stirred, as likewise they are soothed in their sorrows, more by example than by words.
    And therefore, because i too have known sufferings which have sprung out of my misfortunes, for the eyes of one who, though absent, is of himself ever a consoler.
    This i do so that, in comparing your sorrows to mine, you may discover that yours are in truth nought, or at most small account,and so shall come to bear them more easily.

And your consoler is me...a Cambridge fan. Your sufferings compared to mine are nowt. Miller ended up as a tramp in Paris, then wrote about it a god like way.....

I prefer Glenn Miller.

I’m more like windy miller

“Introducing Henry Miller,
    Just as busy as a fizzy sasparilla...”

One for the late Doris Day fans.

Anyone click on this load of bolox cos you thought Henry Miller was something to do with the takeover?

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    I prefer Glenn Miller.
    or even Max Miller

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    I prefer Glenn Miller.
    Find him, find our lost season.

I prefer Arthur Miller's wife.

Think he's related to the Scottish soul singer,darlin'.