+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Favourite starting 11...

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    you're thinking of Darren Davis from barnwells team surely, i meant Ben Davies

I went on the pitch before a game when i was a kid and got Darren Davis autograph, i got a few that day i think dave kevan was another all i remember though was mick leonard being a pri*k and not signing my little book, i was probably too young to know what a dic*khead was but i now realise he was one
    Kevan was a good player as well. Darren davis was ok but he always looked like his face was going to explode when he ran

GKWard

LBBaraclough
    CBYates
    CBShort
    RBWilder

LWKennedy
    CMDraper
    CMA.Hughes
    RWFinnan

CFMcSwegan
    CFL.Hughes

M.Walker

As the question says, this is a favourite rather than best XI

Ward

Pedro
    Short
    Stubbs
    RayO

Carter
    Masson
    Draper
    Thorpe

McCulloch
    Bartlett

Best (1968 and onwards) would be something like: Raddy, Pedro, Needham, Short, O'Brien, Carter (notwithstanding the arguments in favour of Chid), Masson, Draper, Tommy, McCulloch, Rideout.
    The battle for the GK and CB places in that team is staggering given that we've had mixed fortunes.

its nice to see this thread people remembering players that don't always get a mention when we talk about our club legends, there seems to be a lot of love for the likes of aidey thorpe ,gary mcswegan and kevin bartlett, and a few other forgotten heroes like richard walker, gary lund and phil turner.

we haven't had a great many good seasons in my 35 years its mostly been pretty pants and sometimes quite embarrassing being a notts fan but some of the guys on these lists really brought a smile to my face and made my monday mornings at school a little more tolerable being one of only 3 notts fans in the whole school surrounded by florist fans

A few others didn't even make it onto these lists but honourable mentions must go to the likes of dave regis, rico ,dean thomas, don o'riordan and many many more that we've loved, what we'd have given for just a few of those names this year.
    Last edited by bridpie78; 17-05-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    I went on the pitch before a game when i was a kid and got Darren Davis autograph, i got a few that day i think dave kevan was another all i remember though was mick leonard being a pri*k and not signing my little book, i was probably too young to know what a dic*khead was but i now realise he was one
    I hated a number of ex players for that same reason. Not just Notts, but nationally. Often, the better they were, the nicer, like Bobby Moore and Pat Jennings. Sammy Chapman and Jeff Blockley were the rudest, then we went and signed them. Shilton was a bit of a **** too. Oh, and in cricket, Gary Sobers was miserable, but Derek Randall was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    I hated a number of ex players for that same reason. Not just Notts, but nationally. Often, the better they were, the nicer, like Bobby Moore and Pat Jennings. Sammy Chapman and Jeff Blockley were the rudest, then we went and signed them. Shilton was a bit of a **** too. Oh, and in cricket, Gary Sobers was miserable, but Derek Randall was great.
    yeah i'll never know why he refused to sign it or whether he was a good bloke or not but since i was about 7 in my head he has always been a di*k and he always will be, i can't even look at his picture without getting annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Derek Randall would always say hello and chat to fans ( players these days would want a fee ) at Trent Bridge. I remember him plonking him-sen next to me once. 5 minutes later he couldn't get away quick enough.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345