+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The morning after the sh ite before

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    bit of a conundrum tbh. Without Bielsa not sure anyone else would have got this squad to perform at the levels it did when playing well. The disappointing aspect seems to be that very single minded one strategy works mentality which gave us the highs didn’t allow for flexibility when to the fans it seemed obvious but he is a genius and I’m not so who am I to say.

had some of the biggest football highs and lows all in the same season - very odd.

at key points in the season we made some decisions which the benefit of hindsight look odd.

not replacing Saiz

leaving transfer business in the window late

not bringing in a reliable striker

not trying youth players or Izzy when the rest of the team looked mentally shot

club have offered MB a new contract if the YEP is to believed so let’s see where that ends.

Feel much better than at this stage last season when PH was still notionally in charge. Rome as they say wasn’t built in a day and Leeds is a much bigger challenge than that.
    Yes fair points, and maybe it is a bit harsh to blame Bielsa for not getting us over the line when without him we probably would have been nowhere near that line in the first place. But nevertheless I can't help but think that he didn't make the most of the opportunity we had by virtue of the position we were in at Xmas (nor did AR for that matter), and in the end it is those two factors which are the main reasons we're still in the Championship next season, (along with our horrendous injury list - but then was that all just bad luck, or also to some extent the result of pushing the same small group of players just too hard over the course of very very long Championship season?)

My workmate is a spurs fan who watched the game last night with his son, they raved about Shackleton and what a good engine he had and how good he is, they were flabbergasted when I told them he only played because if injuries to others, and he had been available all season.....says it all, we have all crazed for his inclusion, who says fans know nothing.

Bielsa's an entertaining manager and everything, but he goes with the Championship like custard on chips. The warning over how his teams run out of steam keeping up with his methods turned into reality. He's an ideologue who sees it as beneath him to shut up shop to defend a lead.

You've got a guy called Chris Hughton out there. He'd be a perfect fit. I'd certainly put a few bob on you if he was in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchouro View Post
    Bielsa's an entertaining manager and everything, but he goes with the Championship like custard on chips. The warning over how his teams run out of steam keeping up with his methods turned into reality. He's an ideologue who sees it as beneath him to shut up shop to defend a lead.

You've got a guy called Chris Hughton out there. He'd be a perfect fit. I'd certainly put a few bob on you if he was in charge.
    TBF I wouldn't put a penny on Leeds to win anything,that's 700 games now without premiership football ..Maybe next season though..

This is going to hurt for a while yet and I can't bring myself to watch the game again yet after last night. Just a thought though that occurred to me today, last night's atmosphere was electric and I don't begrudge the 5 and a half hours it took me to get to the ground, but I think the fans contributed to the debacle last night; the anxiety and expectation was palpable and I'm sure the players must have felt it, they played the occasion and not the game and I can't help thinking that if we were 1-0 up from a home leg first we'd have controlled the game away as we normally do and we'd be looking forward to Wembley now. As it is I think the shambles last night was in part due to the players having a meltdown in the cauldron we created last night.

Watched some of it again last night and whilst it was still painful we actually played some decent football with a few moments of sheer madness.

The ref was rubbish. Roofe got booked for being tackled by a Derby player - still not sure how he decided that. Bamford’s yellow was actually a decent shout for a pen - guess he is reaping what he sowed. there is no way that game should have had 11 bookings.

story of the second half of the season - Derby were so much more clinical than us when their chances came.

If if we can keep the coach and the bulk of the squad together (most signed up to 2021 and beyond) and add academy graduates and a few decent signings the next season should see us continue to play good attacking football.

we also won the PDL and the ladies teams did well so not all doom and gloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchouro View Post

Noooooooooooo

Bielsa got the same team from also rans into should have won the league players.
    So as someone said previously if it wasn't for him we would have been nowhere near the line.

I think it is obvious, he didn't rate Bamford as he only played when Roofe was injured.
    What other choice did he have?

We all thought Klich was a waste of space, he played every game! Ran as much as anyone against Derby so I don't agree he was shot.

For me the players i don't rate

Casilla
    Ayling
    Douglas
    Perhaps Cooper
    Forshaw
    Bamford

as squad players

Dallas
    Berardi
    Alioski

are all fine.

Young players all look good.
    Personally I would cash in on Clarke and use the money for a centre forward.

Other problem is Pablo won't get better!

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Watched some of it again last night and whilst it was still painful we actually played some decent football with a few moments of sheer madness.

The ref was rubbish. Roofe got booked for being tackled by a Derby player - still not sure how he decided that. Bamford’s yellow was actually a decent shout for a pen - guess he is reaping what he sowed. there is no way that game should have had 11 bookings.

story of the second half of the season - Derby were so much more clinical than us when their chances came.

If if we can keep the coach and the bulk of the squad together (most signed up to 2021 and beyond) and add academy graduates and a few decent signings the next season should see us continue to play good attacking football.

we also won the PDL and the ladies teams did well so not all doom and gloom.
    Roofe booked???? He wasn't even playing

Quote Originally Posted by denver11 View Post
    Roofe booked???? He wasn't even playing
    freudian slip was obviously wishing he had played - meant Phillips

I never thought Dallas was much good for us but he stood up and got counted when it really mattered. Was really pleased with him and for him over those 2 legs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)