+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can we please stop celebrating our relegation!

can we please stop celebrating our relegation!

Reading all the media reports you would be forgiven for thinking we had been promoted to the premiership!

Yes, I know we are a small club and we probably did finish higher than I expected but at the end of the day we achieved nothing and dropped down a division.

I don't really want to hear from the players, the manager or chairman until pre-season when I expect to see a steely determination to put things right and try and get us in the top 6.

In the current climate the club will probably organise an open top bus for the team for finishing 12th in league one next season.

Short and sweet...you are a tit.

Just been reading an article about Tony Stewart’s view on this season

Quote : “Of course when you look back, there are always things you think you could do better. We really wanted to add more players in January. It didn't happen, it certainly wasn't down to lack of effort, but it is something that we won't let happen again”

Sounds like he is regretting his decision on not spending to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    Just been reading an article about Tony Stewart’s view on this season

Quote : “Of course when you look back, there are always things you think you could do better. We really wanted to add more players in January. It didn't happen, it certainly wasn't down to lack of effort, but it is something that we won't let happen again”

Sounds like he is regretting his decision on not spending to me.
    From what you have quoted it seems to me like he is saying that there was money to spend but we didn't get the signings we wanted. Could he mean that there will be a plan b and plan c in place if the original targets don't come off? I.e getting Rob Scott in?

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    From what you have quoted it seems to me like he is saying that there was money to spend but we didn't get the signings we wanted. Could he mean that there will be a plan b and plan c in place if the original targets don't come off? I.e getting Rob Scott in?
    What do you think he meant by not letting it happen again? Seems kind of a odd thing to say don’t you think

What do you think he meant by not letting it happen again? Seems kind of a odd thing to say don’t you think
    Well we parted company with our recruitment guy shortly afterwards so maybe as Shark27 indicates that was his first step towards 'not letting it happen again'?

Why is it odd?
    Surely there’s lessons to be learned so it doesn’t happen again.
    Sounds to me cash was available and players either went elsewhere or chose not to come and stayed with their parent club.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 16-05-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    Think your correct Shark.

I suspect it was like that Casps.
    I'm sure we put a huge effort in but we either had to pay daft money, silly wages or players didn't fancy helping us out.

I seem to recall there was a winger from Liverpool who said no on the final evening of the window. I asked a die hard Lpool fan at work about him and he said he'd genuinely never heard of him. So a complete unknown turned us down

I was disappointed Neil or C Wilder didn't help us. They are forceful enough characters To say to their players and owners GO AND HELP THEM TO STOP UP
    Last edited by flourbasher; 16-05-2019 at 05:57 PM.

We were caught in that awful place in January where some prospective targets (not all of course - look at Ipswich's buying spree) were unlikely to sign for a club that was heading to a lower division - especially one that didn't have a mountain of money to start with.

There will always be people who say we didn't try hard enough or flash enough cash and others that accept the club's explanation that they worked their socks off but to no avail. I'm with Shark27 in his interpretation of Tony Stewart's statement.

To the OP, credit to you again, IBS, for starting a post with a polemic that will get get people responding. For what its worth, I don't see much celebration of our relegation - only resignation to the fact that it happened and that, despite the failure to survive, the management team and the players can look themselves in the mirror and say they gave it a really good go. I'd rather have that than the self-flagellation I think some people want to see. Of course, we wouldn't expect an open-top bus parade to celebrate mediocrity next season - but equally we don't need them all dragged through the streets on a tumbril for the near miss of the one that's just finished.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast