+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2019 Post Mortem & 2020 Progress.

The 2019 Post Mortem & 2020 Progress.

A few seasons back I wrote this rambling article which showed my musings of where the club were at the time. It proved quite popular, so I figured I’d take a crack again.

http://boards.footymad.net/showthrea...citizen+erased

First of all, this seasons has been exceedingly frustrating and yes, we are down. Sadly we’ve simply given away points and yes we’ve been effectively cheated out of some too – SWFC case and point. That being said, some of the larger failings for us being where we are now – today – are and were utterly avoidable. More on that story later.

I was surprised, not shocked, we got promoted last season but Im not shocked by this seasons overall play out. Infact im surprised we’ve got as many points as we have and its testament to PW that we’ve done what weve done this season.

In my last big thread I stated that we should;

1) Recruit a manager with proven records of managing clubs in League One & Two
    2) Hire a new commercial manager / aim for new revenue through innovation.
    3) Commission the training ground
    4) Forget youth & youth loans
    5) Focus on a seasoned pro in every other position
    6) A degree of honesty and realism

Point 1 is a null and void point now. I like PW – though he has BIG failings at times and they have contributed to our relegation this season. They are also the reason we aren’t on sub 30 points. I believe he should stay and I want him to stay.

Point 2 – Sort of did and didn’t happen. We still haven’t improved revenue streams and the club is still struggling with developing around the ground. With the new development coming on Forge Island the time is coming to get an on-site RU Estates owned eatery / craft ale pub up and running.

Point 3 – The training ground at Brinsworth / Tinsley was a red-herring. It appears they are trying to get around the restrictions on the use of the site by leaving it unused for a period of years, then its ear-marked for housing. I’ve been told this directly by someone who was heavily involved with the site and the purchase by TS.

Point 4 – Largely happened giving only credible talent a path. This is good. That being said Zak Vyner had no business playing as our RB when he’s a young CB who needed 60+ League One game time to learn his trade.

Point 5 – This happened and is part of the reason we’ve been successful. Some of this has come about through having our own players who were around in the 2016/17 relegation season mature, in others its been through bringing in players like Jones or

Point 6
    – To a large extent this has happened too, Warne being much more open and of course TS keeping quiet – for good or ill reasons.

That leaves me able to reflect on this season, last season and the reasons for our ultimate failure to survive. In my opinion there are four main reasons for our failure and are continued weaknesses. In no particular order;

1 – Player Recruitment & Window failure

It has not been good enough and our ex-head of recruitment has done a poor job, indeed not relocating and working remotely hasn’t helped either. I’ve been told he hadn’t seen many games of ours too. That’s poor if true. If he had been forwarding targets to PW, PD and TS then they haven’t been appropriate for our budget constraints. If targets were put forward and were within a realistic budget then there is a big issue with financial backing at the club. I suspect the latter, still. This would not be against historic form for the past 3 seasons. Other than Crookes have we spent owt? Smith & Rodak were both good additions last season, beyond that I’m afraid there isn’t many highlights. Rodak was also a loan.

We must get better at bringing in talent, with a complimentary skillset focus for improvement of the squad, IE giving us actual options. As I’ll allude to in point 3, the team has no real threat beyond a flick on from a Vaulks throw or a corner, save the odd Ajayi header and screamer. Smith works hard only for no one to run onto his workloads fruit, save for Taylor, Forde or Towell – none of which are regular scorers really – they don’t cut in when they should and their shooting isn’t the best. Vassell and Proctor will maybe change this – if and when fit.

This is the reason we haven’t put teams to the sword this season, why Warne has all to often used a 4-5-1 or a weird 4-1-2-2-1. In short we’ve brought in Good Eggs that try hard, but who’s skillset don’t complement each other enough to give a diverse, threatening team. The results we’ve had have come because we’ve just hung in and tried harder than the opposition. You cant play every game like an underdog part time outfit in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, but that’s largely been the game plan. It worked in L1, it won’t in the championship unless there is some talent to make the effort pay. We didn’t acquire the talent.

Facilities aren’t helping either, come on TS. Roundwood looks like a Comprehensive Schools setup. Sheffield Hallam (What was Aurora) and Sheffield University have better facilities. At Championship level, as I said before, “look at our new stadium” doesn’t work. Players expect a certain level of standard for things like this and we dont have it.

January was a joke of a window. Ill say no more than that. Biggest miss? Leon Clarke would have saved our season, lived in Sheffield, close to Rotherham – Chose Wigan over us (apparently). IF we had signed him wed be staying up.

Ball, though not doing the business for Bradford would have been a better shout than Yates – why was he not recalled? Not that it matters now.

Looking at the new men…..

Vassell was brought in for goals, but has been played wider than he did in his past Goal scoring spell, the result – Round Peg Into Square Hole. A player who was recruited to do two jobs in one and has been successful in neither and then went on the sick list. He must be utilized better next year – down the middle playing off Smith or Smiths eventual replacement if hes gone. That’s assuming we go 4-4-2 and I wouldn’t mind staying on 4-5-1 to be honest, if we do it right (more on that later).

Vyner – A CB that’s young and in need of experience in L1 and playing regular football is brought in and played at RB. Warne and the management staff then wonder why he kept going deep and central during the first half of the season. Well… why do you think that is Paul? An RB who is a CB at heart is always going to drift deep and leave the right hand side exposed, that’s exactly what hes done. PW mentioned this against I think Reading at home post game and its like he had no idea why Vyner is drifting.. Really? I actually think there is the making of a good CB in him and id snap him up on a free. He can tackle and his game reading has got better as its gone on.. His weakness was being played out of position, which is why he was awful for large spells.

Crookes – Looks good, promising player who did not look out of place. More of him next season please, Id quite like him in the side in the middle of a 5.

Robertson – Good signing.

Towell – Wasn’t balled over by him in League One but he put a shift in. He still does. I understand the logic of wanting him, but his lack of finishing skill and poor decisions have cost us several points this season. Where Towell was playing and getting into positions we needed someone who can execute the attack as well as be part of the movement for it.

2 – Commerce & Budget

We MUST do more here.

It seems the club is still acting as though its in League Two when it comes to getting in revenue. Sure, away followings are bigger and TV revenue is higher but we’ve done very little to get cash in. Ask yourself, what’s changed since 2012/2013? With the exception of Chris at AESSEAL whats come on for the club?

Are a relatively small outfit like Hodge Clemco the best we can do for a Championship Clubs main sponsor? Have we really taken 6/7 years to develop exactly ZERO supporting commerce around the new ground, which is in the a busy town centre? Why? G&C site still undeveloped after nearly 9 years of planning. Why? The club desperately needs a new commercial director. The recession is over, the region is growing and Rotherham has a stadium in the town centre, get the matchday money in, get the revenue out of season and post-match in.

The Forge island development is a fantastic opportunity for the club to make use of the G&C site and the car park, get people in and make the area a venue / hub for the town. A bar on site with real ale from the local area would do wonders for foot fall, more events at the stadium and the like and we can at least get some extra cash in.

3 – Team Management & Tactics

Let me be clear, I want Warne to stay for years to come. His heart is in it, his man management can do it, he just needs time and lessons taught by failure – hes got better. Unless we’ve got bags of money to burn year in year out (which we don’t) then all we have is time. It’s a good match. Ive heard and read people saying we should get a young manager from Germany or Spain or wherever. Why? Theres no additional money, theres no pan-Europe scout network and theres a huge change AGAIN at the backroom staff level for no gains. If said manager did come and be successful, do you honestly think hed stay and not go to a larger CHAMP or lower PREM club? Come on, get real.

That being said, as much as Pauls “Good Guy” recruitment and man-management has done us good, he’s really hurt us with at times Sunday League tactics and very odd to the point of ridiculous starting line ups. Case and point was Birmingham. Wood, who hasn’t had the pace for a few years and is now looking low on fitness (in terms of age that is) being put into the first team against fast forwards, on the hottest day of the year to date was always going to be a stupid move. It was. No one planning properly would consider this a good plan, surely?

The “be solid” 4-5-1 and try to look for chaos in the box caused by Smith, knock on’s and headers is what weve done this season and for who and what we are it is a is a good and proven tactic. But it only works if you’re able to fully capitalise on a stronger midfield to force the opposition to create errors and to have someone around to make teams pay when we grind them down or catch them out. We haven’t done that because we don’t have those players in the team. Yes we have ground teams down, often grinding out a 1-1 or 2-2 when we really wasn’t expecting a point but we’ve not made those chances count because the tools haven’t been in the team. Sheff W, Sheff U, Stoke, Reading, Millwall, Wigan, Swansea and others are all case and point. You need a strong spine, a leader up front and fast wingers. The spine is not that bad with Ajayi in it as things stand but the wingers cant score like they need to do to offset only 1 striker.

Regarding that strong central midfield spine- in CM positions we don’t have a Frecklington any more, Towell isn’t that man sadly. Nor do we have a Smallwood breaking up play, Vaulks has done well – very much a Box-To-Box midfielder in my book, but those around haven’t had the spark. When weve had two in the midfield, Vaulks doesn’t have the specific skillset (though hes very talented) to be a sharp enough tool for a given role. Not quite a holding player, not a playmaker, not an attacking mid either. In a 3 midfield center hes a good asset, in a 2 he looks ineffective all too often. Especially with Towell and Newell in the side. Therefore the lack of a dedicated playmaker, attacking midfielder or the linking guy such as an Agard “Cut inside / inside forward” type has cost us dearly.

The same lack of finishing ability can be said for our “wide” men and indeed strikers 4-5-1, the very odd 4-1-2-2-1 with deep midfielder Ajayi sitting in front of the back 4 and Taylor and Forde behind Smith playing as inside forwards….. but not doing that job, or as proper wingers that cant quite cross to CHAMP standard hasnt worked. PW has cited fitness reasons for playing one CF but we’ve done this even when players have been available. Reading at home for example, we went 4-4-2 and nearly won that game.

How good would we look with 2 faster wingers / inside forwards with the likes of a Prime Frecklington, Smallwood / Ajayi and Vaulks in midfield? A Pringle type crosser on the left and an Agard style cut in behind smith on the right? We’ve had these players, in recent years, in budget. Why not now?

4 – Lady Luck

Beyond our control but lady luck just hasn’t been with us. You make your own luck? Well we’ve done enough to make plenty of it but we’ve not had the rub of the green at all this season. Sure it happens when you’re down in the dumps but I do wonder if our name and size is enough to let referees make the kind of bizarre and utterly outrageous decisions they’ve made this season. We’ve had teams be allowed to play until they scored, penalties not given, players play basketball into the net and so on.

Injuries have been a factor this season too, Proctor and Vassell immediately spring to mind as well as Potter and Jones. The lack of depth we’ve had has narrowed technical ability and therefore options, not a good place to be when you’re trying to change your form.

So what do we need to do to improve for next season and those going forward?

There are several items here we should address and address immediately. This leaves aside the financial and off the field improvements we need, which are well documented above.

Retained List:

I agree with all the releases made, for me though it doesn’t quite go far enough. It seems we’ve offered contracts to 4x wingers / widemen when really we only need to look to retain two of them – Williams and Taylor. Will “Nice Man” Mr Warne do it? Time will tell.

Palmer – What does he do? What has he done? Giles for me, lets develop the lad. Let Palmer go, even on a free.
    Yates – Shown very little, done very little. 2 goals in over 45 games is not good enough. Sadly, he needs 2-3 seasons in League 2 like Taylor did. If he’s retained he needs to be loaned out to L2, perhaps maybe even Chesterfield locally and given game time for long periods.
    Newell – Lot of talent, just cant deliver it. Id prefer his wages paid for Williams contract. Worth retaining if both Williams and Towell do go and don’t come back. Maybe worth a 1 year extension if we cant get Williams over the line?
    Towell – Good player on his day, which isn’t often enough. If we get rid of Newell and hes available for a good for us wage Id take him, but not for the sake of it.
    Forde – Hasn’t done enough since arrival, gives a lot of effort and heart and might be more effective in L1, but even when he was with us back in L1 last time he wasn’t the spark we needed him to be.
    Richard Wood - He has given everything for the club, been treated awfully at times and is a living legend after the close of last season in League One. However its clear he cant play for much longer and cant do 90 minutes, I suspect if he were to be a bench player he would just loose the edge and momentum that’s kept him going this long. I think its his time, but should be retained 100% for coaching, perhaps reserves and an off the bench player but for next season only in terms of playing.

I would retain Purrington, as Mattock may go or have his usual niggles and hes one for the future I think.

Adjust & Improve – Do not reinvent the Wheel.

This will not be popular here but I think the 4-5-1 tactic of this season was the correct approach, should we have had a better balanced squad. Indeed I say it would have worked better had we had that ability to either flood and boss in the centre of the park or cut in with pace or drill in crosses on the wings, we didn’t have either of these. In League One we can naturally be much, much more aggressive as teams will be less clinical and there is a good chance that well get more chances at the other ends onion bag. That being said, I think we should retain our current playing setup, just tweak the execution. 4-5-1, works for me if we retain smith and invest in proven goal scores in both the centre and the wing, with the ability to go 4-3-3 with that setup and punish teams or easily convert back into a 4-4-2 when we need to attack from the off, with this setup being do-able with essentially the same staff. This assumes we retain Smith, somehow.. Such an option allows for long ball, flanking and running at defenders, we can do 3 formations very easily with 1 core squad. A Plan A, B & C available for any game. Doing this in L1 means the system is familiar in the Championship should we go back up.

I believe the midfield should be built with Crookes and Giles in mind, with Vaulks leaving and I suspect Ajayi too. If not id take a middle 3 of Giles, Crookes and Ajayi all day long in League One, with perhaps a new man in the middle too, someone in the Frecks class of attacking midfielder.

Recruitment:

As discussed, we need a ball player in midfield or someone who can make those clinical runs. We need an inside forward / winger style player to give an alternative to Taylor / Forde and Williams / Newell. Two of those 4 can go. We also need a striker to replace both Yates and Ball, possibly Smith if he goes.

Goalkeeper: Let price play. If he can do it, lets run with him. If not then release him and give Bilboe a shot for a stint as number 2..

Winger/Forward for the right of that 5 man formation in midfield. Enter Agard at MK Dons, go get him back. If not him then someone of that style. Hallam Hope at Carlisle is one, huge assist record and a good goal tally.

Striker: Speaking Of MKONS I really like Aneke. He would be a useful asset should they not make League One this year. Infact, him and Agard together would be good. Dreaming perhaps. Other than him theres the lad at Tranmere knocking them in for fun whos come from the lower leagues (forget the name) and I also like Akins at Burton. Connor Washington ex-Blades would be ideal, if we could afford him. I suspect there are other Championship clubs looking at him.

Central Defender: Beevers at Bolton would be a good fit. Experienced L1 and Champ central defender with years left in him. Ideal replacement for Wood and Ball – combining their wages and would certainly want to leave Bolton to move closer to home (Barnsley) and actually get paid.

Verstaile Defender: Martin Craine. Done the business with United and Huddersfield Town, I cant imagine wages are higher than Jones’ would be.

Central Midfielder: A Ball player and an attacking midfielder. Jorden Lyden (released by Villa) is a shout. Coutts from the blades would seem ideal for this sort of role too.

Centre Back : A replacement for Ajayi (who will leave or go midfield). Vyner in as a 3rd and Wood as a 4th would be ok for me.

5 players away from being a really decent side I think, for both L1 and the Championship.

Thoughts?

Well, you got the rambling bit right!

That green is not good on the eyes

Training facilities have been updated
    Loan players need paying, they’re not actually free
    So money has been spent just not the way fans want it.

Inexperience and injured players has played a part in us not improving maybe

I’d also like some more players to be released but I don’t know what goes off behind the scenes, maybe they think the players are good enough for L1 with a few extra signings, maybe we can’t get rid of some players for whatever reason

If you take a look at the player themself and see what they are about then maybe it was down to the why they were asked to play that makes them not look good enough?
    Vyner got stick by some but he was played out of position and was told to play more down middle that actually doing the job a LB/RB should be doing

There’s obviously always room for improvement and I also think Warney has learnt a lot, if he hasn’t then TS isn’t stupid

Can't disagree with much of the analysis, and I don't think I've wasted 15 minutes of my life.

Don't think we need a Beevers type and 2 other CBs. Icky and Robertson first choice for me, maybe Vyner as a squad player and hopefully bring through one of our own.

We have Ben Wiles, btw, not Johny Giles.

Great series of posts and very interesting. Agree with most of what you've said. With regard to the wingers we definately need a good crosser of the ball in the team and Newell is the best of those so just retaining Taylor and Williams means we would need to sign a good crosser. I can see Williams wanting champ football (in my opinion the best 'technical player/controller of the ball we have).

Agree with what you have said about the lack of a good midfield spine and it's a point I've heard made before. Crooks is a great start to adding some meat in the midfield and it's great that he looks a threat when he goes forward. I would actually have kept Potter for a year as a CDM to replace Ajayi

Good analysis and agree with the majority of all that.
    Agree also about 4-5-1, it can work for the reasons you mentioned.
    MK Dons - they're back in League 1- Aneke, stand out player for them and looks to be back to his best after bad injuries a few years ago.
    Agard- yes I would have him back, 41 goals between them last season.
    Both players have been offered contracts by MK so it will be interesting to see if they accept or move on.
    Jorden Lyden- Villa- didn't realise he had been released- good shout.
    Optimistic for next season, all to play for.
    Last edited by CASPER-64-FRANK; 17-05-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast