+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 2019 Post Mortem & 2020 Progress.

I really enjoyed reading that analysis and it's obvious that a lot of thought, time and effort went into it. I don't agree with everything, and when I've time I'll put my views down. But a good read, well done 👍

A very good read. Well done. I also enjoyed Joe Lightfoot's recent piece on RUFC. He concluded that we didn't have the confidence or self-belief to make it in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    A very good read. Well done. I also enjoyed Joe Lightfoot's recent piece on RUFC. He concluded that we didn't have the confidence or self-belief to make it in the Championship.
    That's a fair point Wendun. I don't think we as a collective (players, management, club, supporters, general local populous) truly believed "we belonged" in the division. It became tiresome week in, week out being told how big and special the opposition club were and, almost, how honoured we should be to he sharing a pitch with them. It became self fulfilling. We started to feel inferior.

I think I'd also extend that sentiment to our town as a whole. I've worked in other towns and believe me, Rotherham folk are the most self effacing and humble people you'll ever meet. I wont name them but the people (I know I'm generalising) of other towns not too far away are far more arrogant and ego centric than us. Those humble traits aren't necessarily bad traits but they sometimes spill over into a lack of self confidence.

My mission in life is to get the pride back into our town. We once had incredible civic pride. And, by God, I'll die trying!

[QUOTE=gkotw;39225749]That's a fair point Wendun. I don't think we as a collective (players, management, club, supporters, general local populous) truly believed "we belonged" in the division. It became tiresome week in, week out being told how big and special the opposition club were and, almost, how honoured we should be to he sharing a pitch with them. It became self fulfilling. We started to feel inferior.

Agreed. Millwall, for example, never doubt they belong in the Championship.

Its a historic thing, historically we have been smaller than many clubs.

The town easily deserves a top flight club if it worked on area alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12