+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot Which City would you like to have been born

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    I've read this book and it's an excellent read. To say the author has had a full and interesting life is an understatement. Well written too.
    Thanks, Sota. (Postal order's on its way!)

Id have been in my mid ****s in the mid 70s. New York always appeared glamorous where anything and everything was possible. Music, fashion, clubs. Musicians of the time all seemed to head there. It was shrouded in a sort of iconic mystery. I was probably seduced by the perception of its culture.

Its very different now. Ease of travel and social media make these places more easily accessible and real.

Of course it had no football cricket or rugby so would never have moved there. And I never actually had any desire to travel there.

History says NY was in serious decline through the first part of the 70s. But, to be fair, it was probably the first modern city state and followed by many others - London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur.

I’m very happy that I was born in the front bedroom of a council house in East Herringthorpe and had a great childhood playing football from the minute I got in from school until it got too dark to carry on. Played hiddy, kick can, tiggy and mabs, learned how to scrap and made some lifelong friends along the way. Wouldn’t change a thing.
    Thankful for where I live now too x
    My mother was taken from the front bedroom of our EH council house to Listerdale Maternity Home for the arrival of yours truly owing to complications with the birth. Nothing I have experienced in later life matches the romance of those early years, footy off Valley Road, explorations in the Big and Little Woods, cries of "Green'Un" on Saturday evenings and the majestic volcanic splendour of the slag tips away in the distance. Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    My mother was taken from the front bedroom of our EH council house to Listerdale Maternity Home for the arrival of yours truly owing to complications with the birth. Nothing I have experienced in later life matches the romance of those early years, footy off Valley Road, explorations in the Big and Little Woods, cries of "Green'Un" on Saturday evenings and the majestic volcanic splendour of the slag tips away in the distance. Magic.
    ...and if you tell that to the young people today, they won't believe you

When i look back..masbro..and towards town..before the dual carriageways..the streets..the shops ..the pubs..black soot covered buildings from steelos blowing over millmoor to everywhere in masbro and holmes ..king street..albert street..falding street..chapel walk..thornhill..amen corner..sarsaparilla shop..thornhill tavern..red house..holmes hotel..turners..george..carters..golden cup..stag..butchers..waltons herbalist shop ..there was a shop where you could buy some kind of chinese nuts..they were sweet tasting..anybody know what they were ?

I've lived in five different cities in England , most of which had a lot of positive aspects. I don't particularly like any that are too big though.
    Berlin during the Weimar republic would have been interesting, but somewhat dangerous (although there were some entertaining cabaret acts!)
    York looks quite good, if you keep out of the flood-alert zone.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    I've lived in five different cities in England , most of which had a lot of positive aspects. I don't particularly like any that are too big though.
    Berlin during the Weimar republic would have been interesting, but somewhat dangerous (although there were some entertaining cabaret acts!)
    York looks quite good, if you keep out of the flood-alert zone.
    Mike, as I age I find I prefer smaller and smaller places and have ended up in a village. I loved London - lived off the Portobello and worked near the Palladium in an office on Great Marlborough Street, drank in a Mexican bar Break For The Border, the Blenheim, the Seven Stars and Finches - but couldn't hack it now. Too many people. Weimar Berlin was definitely edgy! York will probably become uninhabitable so don't buy a house there.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Great stuff Wendun. "majestic volcanic splendour of the slag tips away in the distance". Love it :-)

Great stuff Wendun. "majestic volcanic splendour of the slag tips away in the distance". Love it :-)
    Cheers, sota. You show a rare sensitivity which is what I expect from a fellow EH lad. Just because this is a footie forum there's no excuse for sloppy writing.

Wendun, as a 16 year old kid I used to walk into the Davy Lamp on a Saturday night armed with a shoulder bag full of Green 'Uns trying to compete with the cockle and mussel man for business ;-)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast