+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot Which City would you like to have been born

Ot Which City would you like to have been born

And which era.

Putting Rotherham aside of course.

Always fancied New York in the 70s and 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    And which era.

Putting Rotherham aside of course.

Always fancied New York in the 70s and 80's.
    You would be 21 by time twin towers went down if you was born in 1980, not sure I’d like to be around that.

Miami 2400 i would want some place sunny in the future when they can master virtual reality lol

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    You would be 21 by time twin towers went down if you was born in 1980, not sure I’d like to be around that.

Miami 2400 i would want some place sunny in the future when they can master virtual reality lol
    Everywhere will be sunny by then and Miami will be under water

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    Everywhere will be sunny by then and Miami will be under water
    ...but Nintendo will have built the cyber-reality bubble by then and you'll be able to climb in and dial in whatever world you fancy - including an imagined Miami 2400 that isn't under 20 feet of water!

To the OP's choice, I was living near Detroit in the mid-seventies but spent a fair amount of time in New York on visits. (I also worked there for five years in the mid-nineties commuting in from Connecticut.) New York 40 years ago was as different from New York today as contemporary London is from 40 years before. I stayed in the Bronx - an area I would try to avoid these days - even just driving through. Manhattan was definitely scruffier but more raffish and vibrant. There were neighborhoods where people could afford to live and small cafes and markets off the main thoroughfares. These days everything is driven by big money and largely homogenised. There was more begging on the streets and petty crime but it had character. I remember driving with a friend through neighborhoods where, each time you stopped at a traffic light, youths would come up and spray your windscreen with soapy water and try to wash it. My friend had a clip of quarters attached to his dashboard and would hand one out before they even started in order to avoid the usually messy "attack" - definitely a threat rather than a service.

Moscow under Stalin , torturing and shooting capitalists with full immunity .

My kind of heaven .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Moscow under Stalin , torturing and shooting capitalists with full immunity .

My kind of heaven .
    Did you see the film Death of Stalin?

The Vatican about 1510.

Michelangelo would have been on his back about half way through painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel

I could have shouted up to him “ that’s all very nice Mike but two coats of magnolia would have been ok”

Boston Massachusetts, 2000.
    Never been but was recommended to me as a very nice place to live / visit.

Manchester City would have been good to be born into.

Sign who they like and maximize the fair play rules.

A very good topic, WanChai. Very difficult to give a sensible answer. Classical Athens, Renaissance Florence, Constantinople before it fell to the heathens. Perhaps even Berlin under the Weimar Republic; drugs, music, women and booze.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast