+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot Which City would you like to have been born

Frog, the only school I remember on Badsley Moor Lane was Badsley Moor Lane Infants, a CofE school. It was about two-thirds of the way down from Middle Lane set back well from the road behind iron railings and on the right side of the road if you're walking from Middle Lane down to VR.

My bad wendun. You're right it just seemed to me nearer Badsleymoor lane.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    My bad wendun. You're right it just seemed to me nearer Badsleymoor lane.
    You had me worried, mate. I thought if I've got the location of my old primary school wrong I'll definitely have to go on the wagon.

I'm bumping this as I'd like sota's view on CT's photo.

Just took some time to look at a map and educate myself about where this is. Not an area I know that well but realise now that I've made that painfully slow drive up Ridgeway more times than I would have liked to. I think the houses around there are of the same general build/design/age of the one I was brought up in in Rawmarsh. A friend did have an Auntie who lived a bit higher up Herringthorpe Valley Road in one of the bay windowed houses on the left just before The Stag roundabout. She used to pay us to do her garden.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Just took some time to look at a map and educate myself about where this is. Not an area I know that well but realise now that I've made that painfully slow drive up Ridgeway more times than I would have liked to. I think the houses around there are of the same general build/design/age of the one I was brought up in in Rawmarsh. A friend did have an Auntie who lived a bit higher up Herringthorpe Valley Road in one of the bay windowed houses on the left just before The Stag roundabout. She used to pay us to do her garden.
    Yes, one of the more depressing aspects of living on Ridgeway were the regular funeral processions. The houses were I think built just after the war. My parents moved from Primrose Hill to Ridgeway in 1948 and reckoned they were the first tenants. The houses up towards the Stag were very nice: I knew the area quite well as I stayed at The Stag pub almost every weekend and school holiday for a couple of years, 1963-1965 ish.

H
    Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Yes, one of the more depressing aspects of living on Ridgeway were the regular funeral processions. The houses were I think built just after the war. My parents moved from Primrose Hill to Ridgeway in 1948 and reckoned they were the first tenants. The houses up towards the Stag were very nice: I knew the area quite well as I stayed at The Stag pub almost every weekend and school holiday for a couple of years, 1963-1965 ish.
    I'm probably being more nosey than I should here - and tell me to mind my own - but why were you staying a pub in your non-school time in your first two years at secondary school, Wendun? I seem to remember you were at what the Americans call 'parochial' school but we're you some kind of weekly border? Im assuming your parents weren't publicans...

I had a very good school chum who lived on the Stag end of Allendale Road in the late fifties/early sixties so knew that area quite well, too. It was easy walking distance from my house which was up towards the Sitwell Park Golf Club.
    Last edited by CTMilller; 26-05-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    H

I'm probably being more nosey than I should here - and tell me to mind my own - but why were you staying a pub in your non-school time in your first two years at secondary school, Wendun? I seem to remember you were at what the Americans call 'parochial' school but we're you some kind of weekly border? Im assuming your parents weren't publicans...

I had a very good school chum who lived on the Stag end of Allendale Road in the late fifties/early sixties so knew that area quite well, too. It was easy walking distance from my house which was up towards the Sitwell Park Golf Club.
    Of course you're not being nosey, CT. At that time my parents were publicans, moving from Ridgeway to The Terrace in Kilnhurst in 1963 and then a year or so later moving back to Rotherham to The Bridge Inn. They were very good friends of the couple who ran The Stag. They had no kids but for all practical purposes had "adopted" a nephew of my age and I went over to be his playmate.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    H

It's a small world, CT. I have often walked past Allendale Road (but probably not down it), my sister and her husband are members at Sitwell Park and we had a meal there a couple of years back.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    The fields are now called Valley Park and the football pitch has been developed as The Lanes. The houses along the top of the pitch were I think Broadway. The pair of semis closest to the photographer were on a continuation of Farnsworth Road, those below along Cawthorne Close. Right in line with the photographer out of sight to the right are houses on Lockwood Road and there was a little ginnel there which I bet he used to access the spot.
    I can concur that all that has been stated is correct. My old hunting ground, East Herringthorpe. As the small path joins the woods, this we called the little wood but as you progressed it took you into Gibbing Greaves wood. Many a tarzan swing put up in that I can tell you.

Bottom row is Cawthotne Close next row up is Farnsworth Road. If you climbed the hill to the top on the right, you could cut through a garden or two and come out on Lockwood close, just around the corner from my old home of Lockwood Road, which sadly to say is now demolished.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast