+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Really?

Really?

I have supported Leeds for 50 years (scary)
    Those of a similar age please answer honestly!

Did you ever feel confident that we would go up?
    Even in the 1970's we had a self destruct button.

We only won when we were expected to lose!

I also believe that it is not just self destruct but almost a curse.

Champions League in Turkey was a disgrace. I don't think we every really recovered from that, I know i didn't want them to play the match and the powers that be showed themselves to be money grabbers.

But really who thought we would win?

Quote Originally Posted by ahgoon View Post
    I have supported Leeds for 50 years (scary)
    Those of a similar age please answer honestly!

Did you ever feel confident that we would go up?
    Even in the 1970's we had a self destruct button.

We only won when we were expected to lose!

I also believe that it is not just self destruct but almost a curse.

Champions League in Turkey was a disgrace. I don't think we every really recovered from that, I know i didn't want them to play the match and the powers that be showed themselves to be money grabbers.

But really who thought we would win?
    before Christmas was sure we would - ever since then became increasingly less sure even though the hope was there.

to be fair the only season I genuinely got a sense we were destined to go up was under Sgt Wilko

Been Leeds since 1972, and no I didn't ever think they would go up, tried hard to convince myself they would, but deep down knew just knew that somehow they would contrive to mess it up, Sunderland, Bayern Munich, it all came flooding back.

Deep down I guess I'm always expecting us to f_uck it up, but this time it was spectacular, I'd even started believing after the first leg, but no, they never fail to let you down in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Really started following from afar in 2004. A horrid year to get get behind them but never a dull moment. The run in League one starting with a 15 point deduction is still hard to believe to this day. The promotion to Championship, the victory at Old Trafford in the FA cup and the start 2 seasons ago and the start this year were all really good times.

I was sure we'd win auto by Christmas but did worry about the depth of the squad and how hard MB trains and pushes them. However, it was such beautiful football that I really thought we'd hold on. I knew that if we didn't win auto we'd stay in the Championship.

I didn't bet against them in the playoff but figured we'd lose at Wembley.

I hate to say it but the chemistry seemed to go awry when we swapped out BPF. Losing Roofe was just as bad for us. Saiz checked out in November and Hernandez wore out.

worry about keeping our key players. I think Shackleton is a future star, BPF will leave and Alioski will leave if MB leaves. Jannson, Hernadez and Klich are also very vulnerable.

will be interesting to see if MB leaves. would love to see Carlos promoted but suspect we'll end up with a retread.

Don't forget, we've 14 superstars to come back from loan spells, de bock, sacko, ideguchi, anita etc

Please god no, we don't want any loan players back, they all went for a reason, cos they were crap

1st game 1957 (don't remember it much cos I was only 5) Leeds through and through as are all my family on Dads side (Mums side is Scottish and most are Dundee United)

Started going to matches properly in 1963/64 and truth be known I fear for them in every competition. I hope, always hope, we do well and am ecstatic when we do and desolate when we don't. After so many years of Ups n Downs, Highs and Lows I now tend to cross my fingers and pray.

It has been said that we were cursed and I know Don Revie brought in a Gypsy to remove the curse. Maybe Andrea should bring another one in just in case the curse came back.

I thought (hoped) we would do it this year but as the injuries piled up and the loss of Saiz followed by the Daniel James debacle it became clear that we would struggle.

Having said all that, this season has been fantastic. The Club seems to have re-engaged fully with the fans. We have an owner, a CEO, a Head Coach and all the coaching staff all the way through to the Office Junior who really get what we are about and it's been a long time since we could say that.

I hope we keep Marcelo and all the coaching staff, if we do I think we will hold on to most if not all of our players and young starlets and hopefully they will take on board the experiences from this season and come back stronger next season.

As the saying goes "We Are Leeds"

Quote Originally Posted by wortleygirl View Post
    1st game 1957 (don't remember it much cos I was only 5) Leeds through and through as are all my family on Dads side (Mums side is Scottish and most are Dundee United)

Started going to matches properly in 1963/64 and truth be known I fear for them in every competition. I hope, always hope, we do well and am ecstatic when we do and desolate when we don't. After so many years of Ups n Downs, Highs and Lows I now tend to cross my fingers and pray.

It has been said that we were cursed and I know Don Revie brought in a Gypsy to remove the curse. Maybe Andrea should bring another one in just in case the curse came back.

I thought (hoped) we would do it this year but as the injuries piled up and the loss of Saiz followed by the Daniel James debacle it became clear that we would struggle.

Having said all that, this season has been fantastic. The Club seems to have re-engaged fully with the fans. We have an owner, a CEO, a Head Coach and all the coaching staff all the way through to the Office Junior who really get what we are about and it's been a long time since we could say that.

I hope we keep Marcelo and all the coaching staff, if we do I think we will hold on to most if not all of our players and young starlets and hopefully they will take on board the experiences from this season and come back stronger next season.

As the saying goes "We Are Leeds"
    Said I was going, and I Aam, I have much more real world matters to attend to, but as a parting shot.....

Our owner who "gets what we are about" but is quite happy to charge the highest ticket prices in the Championship and even more for visiting supporters than in the PL.

Our owner thought nothing of screwing up the possible acquisition of Daniel Janes if the alternative wa to threaten his other business interests.

Our coach, despite all of his inarguable talents, has shown himself to be stubborn and unwilling to exploit those players that sit outside his own personal view of who is playable and who is not.

We have a group if players who, with relatively few exceptions (given the entire 1st team and U23 squads) don't "get it" in the slightest and who I suspect will b gone like a puff of smoke in the transfer window if there is a sniff of an offer.

This last season has been the best and the worst in the 55 years I have supported Leeds United.

The best because, similarly when we were relealgated to League 1, for a time (even longer thanthat dire time), we exemplified the principle of side before self, and showed that with an inspirational leader, anything was possible.

The worst because having shown to all who had eyes to see and ears to hear that Leeds United were indeed the sleeping giants that all feared and (nearly) all hoped would awaken, the same players who had fostered hope and expectation failed, failed spectacularly, catastrophically and consigned that sleeping giant to years more in the meat grinder of the second tier of English football.

55 years is enough, and other things require my attention. Those who populate the heady heights of professional football have no appreciation of real life or the sacrifices required of normal people to follow their chosen club. The performances of Leeds players in the latter part of this, probably the most significant season in a decade, speak volumes.

I hope all who post here avoid the devil's bullet.

I first watched Leeds in the mid-50's taking the train from Dewsbury with a scohoolmate and his father. They struggled, Revie arrived, they struggled a bit more then blossomed. What a team that was to watch and they would have won more if it were not for the Footballing "Authorities", blind bias by referees driven by Hardacre et al and putting every obstruction they could in the way. Playing a decisive game at Wolves (another bent referee) game to be champions on the Monday after a Cup Final when they beat Arsenal and other nonsenses that should never have happened. But they still won through and. despite all, taking trophies and building a genuine CLUB.

Don's only weak spot was Sprake. I often wonder how many trophies we would have won had Gordon Banks been our keeper. However now, failure seems to be writ large on the walls at Elland Road and God knows how it will be removed. A club this size should never languish in this division and every year we watch nonentities go up, usually viewing from mid-table, and what is the thrill of say Norwich v Liverpool compared to Leeds v Liverpool or Man U v Sheff Utd as opposed to Man U v Leeds. Not the same at all. Come on lads, get it together next season just for once please, I am getting too old for this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)