+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Really?

Thanks Spaldy and I agree with your comment regarding the size of the city, the fan base etc. when you see other cities like Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield etc. having one or more clubs in the prem. even if they are not always there permanently.

I am sure once up there Leeds will build and become a force but come on please be there soon as in next season. Even so I look back at the Derby game and think how the ball just didn't run for us, the stupidity of the first goal, the one that came out from the underside of the bar etc. Please ye gods of football smile on us for once.

Saw this thread and thought I would give me 10 peneth as I won't be posting much till next season.

Did I think we would bottle it?..absolutely..writing was on the wall after the QPR/ Wigan game and Sheffield United could smell the fear coming out of our arses..we blew it/bottled it/gifted the auto's away.

So when it came to playing fragile franks lot in the play-offs I had this feeling the whole spygate/piss taking would come back and bite us on the ass and it has..but the way we gifted them the game at ER was a total shambles..one of the worst bottle jobs I think I have ever witnessed.

Stating the obvious but this season was shafted in the January transfer window.
    Last edited by Rev72; 18-05-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Manchester, Birmingham and Sheffield are three big cities that enjoy the vibrancy and energy of cross team rivalry, not to mention football histories that date back more than a century.

Contemporaneously why would anyone think Leeds are more deserving than Norwich and the Blades ? Why are Leeds, absent from the top flight for a decade and a half, any bigger than Brighton or Leicester ? Some of you really do need to snap out of your fever dream and realise your club's a frog, not a prince.
    Last edited by Katchouro; 18-05-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchouro View Post
    Manchester, Birmingham and Sheffield are three big cities that enjoy the vibrancy and energy of cross team rivalry, not to mention football histories that date back more than a century.

Contemporaneously why would anyone think Leeds are more deserving than Norwich and the Blades ? Why are Leeds, absent from the top flight for a decade and a half, any bigger than Brighton or Leicester ? Some of you really do need to snap out of your fever dream and realise your club's a frog, not a prince.

“A frog not a prince” ha I like that. Most LEEDS fans I know and most on here put there hands up and concede that we know where we are, this bigging it up along with dirty LEEDS just happens to be in vogue with the LEEDS haters.
    Dirty LEEDS......Alf btw.......a name put on us by the dog Schmitt manc and London press. Well done to them, the name stuck. Don’t you get the irony of living in the past mate

I threw my hand in after the Wigan so called game well pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchouro View Post

strange then why you and others are so obsessed with Leeds. I suspect part of the reason you keep coming back is because we don’t really care about other teams just our own tribe.

Amazing how fans from other forums come on here, I rarely look on other forums, let alone write on them, when I have looked they are mostly empty.

Maybe its because leeds are a massive club and should be in the Prem, i hope we make it at your ecpense because you would have beaten us at Wembley and that not me taking the P, leeds are what i call a proper club like villa and these plastic glory hunting Man City type clubs do not impress me, if there owners did one they would crumble, its all about money. If we fu ck up at wembley then i hope we both go up as 1 and 2 next year And lets kick fu ck out of the prem.
    Anyway, good luck for next season. UTV

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    before Christmas was sure we would - ever since then became increasingly less sure even though the hope was there.

to be fair the only season I genuinely got a sense we were destined to go up was under Sgt Wilko
    after those comebacks vs Villa and Blackburn when we were top after Christmas I though we'd do it but then as I saw our performances drop I doubted but I still never saw us bottling it to the level we have against Wigan (the game that ultimately cost us) and then Derby

Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    Maybe its because leeds are a massive club and should be in the Prem, i hope we make it at your ecpense because you would have beaten us at Wembley and that not me taking the P, leeds are what i call a proper club like villa and these plastic glory hunting Man City type clubs do not impress me, if there owners did one they would crumble, its all about money. If we fu ck up at wembley then i hope we both go up as 1 and 2 next year And lets kick fu ck out of the prem.
    Anyway, good luck for next season. UTV
    Cheers fella..hopefully see you there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    H... Apart from calling them "Dirty Leeds" a name they deservedly earned in the seventies which has always stuck with them,I don't have a problem with Leeds Utd as a team and club.. I hardly ever knock the players or staff apart from the odd wind up.. It's the arrogance of the fans I usually have a go at.. So I will continue to treat Leeds with the respect they deserve H..I hope you have got over the disappointment of the play of mate and are looking forward to next seasons challenge..I'm certainly looking forward to the Clarets fight against relegation again..
    Dirty Leeds is a dirty lie! Read the FACTS:

The tag ‘Dirty Leeds’ was invented by newspapers but, importantly, confirmed by the Football Association in the summer of 1964, as Leeds United prepared to play their first season in the First Division since Don Revie became manager.

The FA’s official journal published an article about increasing ill discipline besmirching the beautiful game, saying foul play was threatening soccer’s future. It wasn’t enough to make a general point; the article included a table of disciplinary points with Leeds at the top, leaving readers in no doubt about how the FA already viewed Revie’s Leeds: as an affront to their game.

Of course the table didn’t tell the full story, and Revie put the FA straight. It included points incurred by the club’s junior and schoolboy teams, accounting for the vast majority of United’s offences; we can only imagine now what the level of aggro was in the Leeds schools’ leagues in 1963, compared with, say, Buckinghamshire. The first team had been one of the few in the Second Division not to have a player sent off, and only one Leeds player had been booked often enough to be suspended; Billy Bremner, obviously.

“We would point out that we have only had two players sent off at Leeds in the last 44 years,” said Revie. “We maintain that the ‘dirty team’ tag which was blown up by the press could prejudice not only the general public but the officials controlling the game, and, to put it mildly, could have an effect on the subconscious approach of both referee and linesmen, to say nothing of the minds of spectators, especially some types who are watching football today. It could lead to some very unsavoury incidents.”

Revie was right. As a Second Division team there had been no television coverage and scant newspaper attention to Leeds United’s play, other than the London press’ increasing condemnation of their physical approach. Nobody had seen them play, but the reports in the papers and in the FA’s own journal meant the First Division expected war. Few teams at that time regarded themselves as shrinking violets, so when Leeds took to the pitch, they faced sides that were determined to get their retaliation in first, so that before Albert Johanneson could dazzle on one wing, Johnny Giles work craftily on the other, or Billy Bremner control the game with intelligence and skill, Bremner, Norman Hunter and Jack Charlton had to stamp their authority on opponents determined to quell Leeds’ reputed violence before it started. ‘Dirty Leeds’ had been an unearned tag bestowed by the media and the authorities, and it became, as Don Revie predicted, a self-fulfilling prophecy.

How long that endured, and how much it influenced what followed for Leeds, remains a source of debate, that is still relevant now. Leeds, meeting Italian teams first in friendlies and then in the Fairs Cup, had felt they had no choice but to take the game to the limits of the rulebook if it was to compete with them; and with the entire First Division out to get them, they adopted the role of villains, so easily that perhaps even they forgot they were acting. The unfairness of that initial report, blaming Hunter and co for the actions of some twelve year olds in the school age teams, became the start of a plague of injustice against Leeds, from Peter Lorimer’s disallowed goal in the 1967 FA Cup semi-final, to the European Cup final in 1975, to the linesman who declared Wes Brown’s own goal offside in 2001, denying a win over Manchester United that would have taken Leeds back into the Champions League.

So leave the gutter press to get on with it and read the truth.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)