+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: United v St Mirren 1st leg thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    Eye bleedingly, embarrassing sh1te.
    ON THE 27th of FEBRUARY,i had the massive misfortune to be in your bleak as phuck dank city on business and decided to take in your stroll in the park fixture versus the ACCIES expecting a goal fest.Unfortunately for me it was Eye bleedingly embarrassing shyte but i did see the goal of the season as the ACCIES strolled to victory,FACT.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Apart from the Reynolds header which was well saved by the keeper.
    To be fair they never created a move which broke us down and created a chance. McAllister got inside Robson and fired in but Benji saved it. They looked most likely to score from free kicks launched into our box. We held up well against it. I was happy with the back 5
    The problem was once we had possession we were too hurried and played it long too often. If we can be more patient we will play much better. 2 days rest is a challenge though.

Thought Benji was outstanding.

We were the best team in the 1st half, but after the subs in the 2nd half I felt we drifted out of the game and allowed St Mirren back into the game.

The players all put in a great shift - it's only half time and all to play for.

The match is wide open- there is still a lot of football to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    To be fair they never created a move which broke us down and created a chance. McAllister got inside Robson and fired in but Benji saved it. They looked most likely to score from free kicks launched into our box. We held up well against it. I was happy with the back 5
    The problem was once we had possession we were too hurried and played it long too often. If we can be more patient we will play much better. 2 days rest is a challenge though.
    There is no composure in central defence mate that Reynolds header was one of ST Mirren's bright spots of the night,never once did i see any of them chest a ball down and control it even when there was no attacker within 20 yards of them,they just launch it anywhere.
    The one favour the FUN did us was to allow their non scoring striker to notch a hat trick at Dens,he kept his place tonight and as i suspected he is FN stinking.The class player on the pitch tonight was their left footer McAllister but fair play to him Robson stuck to his task very well.
    Only my opinion but our fullbacks and keeper have at times been slaughtered this season but its the centre backs that look our weakest link in defence,thank phuck ST Mirren do not have a prolific goal scorer or we would have been toast.If we do go up and keep the same partnership in central defence we are going back down,mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by ClashCityRocker View Post
    Thought Benji was outstanding.

We were the best team in the 1st half, but after the subs in the 2nd half I felt we drifted out of the game and allowed St Mirren back into the game.

The players all put in a great shift - it's only half time and all to play for.

The match is wide open- there is still a lot of football to be played.
    I totally agree with the above however its such a pity we started with Sow instead of Safranko because our best creative work was done before the latter got his chance.Early in the 2nd half a great cross got played in that found no one and Sow was cantering in but still outside the 18 yard box,Safranko would have been at least 10 yards nearer the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    I totally agree with the above however its such a pity we started with Sow instead of Safranko because our best creative work was done before the latter got his chance.Early in the 2nd half a great cross got played in that found no one and Sow was cantering in but still outside the 18 yard box,Safranko would have been at least 10 yards nearer the ball.
    Exactly. Was about to post the e same comments. We work the ball out right to McMullan, he makes ground up the right and crosses it at which point Sow hasn't even made the effort to get into the St Mirren box. Completely unacceptable imo.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Exactly. Was about to post the e same comments. We work the ball out right to McMullan, he makes ground up the right and crosses it at which point Sow hasn't even made the effort to get into the St Mirren box. Completely unacceptable imo.
    I am trying to work out our manager's thinking for tonight's game mate and my conclusion is he thought that Sow could outmuscle their defence and be a dominant force.The truth is it would be the equivalent of Jackie playing Brian Graham instead of Ciftci.In my opinion a game of this magnitude needs your top scorer on the pitch and Robbie needed to start him in the home leg of the tie.
    They have conceded loads of goals this season even against us and they would have been delighted to see our top marksman on the bench.

Sow was poor and was out muscled all night but Clark wasn't any better.

Safranko must start on Sunday with either one of the aforementioned players. Not bothered what one.

I thought Sow showed some nice touches, but would trade that for a gamble to get a cross ball and stick his nut where it could hurt. My preference would be to play Sow, Safranko and Clark, maybe dropping Pawlett, who is probably injured anyway.

I think Harkes lost his way a little after taking one right on the bonce. Bouhenna again good with one or two meaty challenges. There was no real difference between the sides, but I think we should have won. Their chances very much from our own mistakes.

We need to be out the traps quickly on Sun or I fear a one shot wonder again will clinch it! C'mon United

BBC OF, Chick Young, Daily Ranger, Glasgow FA, Stephen Thompson, Craigan....(shades of Norway v England!)

My take on last night was as follows:

1. We missed Butcher. He's been great for us in midfield.
    2. Pawlett was disappointing IMO. Plenty of endeavour, but where is that cute touch of skill he has in his locker?
    3. Sow. Not his best game for sure. Get the feeling that if he gets a good goal scoring chance that he will nail it. But, last night, in comparison with Safranko, and what he puts into a game, I would rather have Pav starting.
    4. Nicky Clark. Again would rather have Safranko startibg between the two. Clark didn't influence much last night at all.
    5. Thought both full backs did a good job.
    6. McMullen - brilliant work rate and I fancy him to score on Sunday. Well done wee man!
    7. Benji - well solid. Seems to be growing in stature and confidence.
    8. Harkes - pretty classy at times, and plays a mean pass. Like him.
    9. St Mirren. I'd imagine they will be happy to be leaving Tannadice all square. They performed as expected, and they managed the game well. I think they know we can hurt them. They'll surely be thinking they can finish the job at home. But I imagine they have some nagging doubts there too.
    10. Robbie Neilson. Seems to be quietly relaxed about where we are. But behind closed doors he must be sh****g himself like most of us. I trust him to give it his best shot on Sunday though. And think he's likely a better tactician than his opposite number.

'Mon United - we CAN definitely do this on Sunday!!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)