+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Players you would wish to remain next season.

Players you would wish to remain next season.

Notwithstanding the wage implications, existing contracts and of course loan-player contracts, herewith my list of the 2109 squad with whom I would be comfortable, if they stayed with us in the Championship next season.

Hegazi,
    JRod,
    Gayle,
    Barry,
    Gibbs,
    Phillips,
    Dawson,
    Johnstone,
    Holgate,
    Edwards
    Field,
    Johansen,
    Harper,

Have I missed any obvious candidates, or indeed included any dire choices ?

The club have released Barry Prando but have said any new manager can go back to him with an offer if they wish.

I agree with many of your choices but I think we’ll struggle to retain Dawson,J Rod,Holgate and Gayle.

Personally I’m sorry we’ve let Morrison go,I know this won’t be a popular view......I guess I just don’t like too much change and I do think he still has something to offer but it’s unlikely he’s ever going to be fit enough for long enough.

I’m glad Brunt is staying albeit he cost us the Villa tie along with Gayle.

I’d like to see us sign Joe Hart and another experienced keeper.

J Rod I could live without.

I don’t watch as much football as I used to so I’m not as aware as I once was of other clubs players but I was impress with the lad Taylor ( I think ) who plays up front and was top scorer for Charlton this season.

I’d certainly like to see us use the loan system better next year,like BB suggested yesterday it’s wiser to use loanees from top 6 clubs who are unlikely to get recalled like Barnes was!

Whatever happens we need more pace throughout the midfield and out wide and more of a target man up front in a “big man/small man” combination or at the very least a target man as an option rather than J Rod all the time.

I fear the squad could be decimated more than we anticipate.

I thought Kyle Bartley looked the real deal in the play off games after a poor season. He won't be going anywhere, hopefully he will do the business next season.
    Barry isn't being offered a new contract from what I've read.
    Not convinced on Johnstone though he also performed well in the play offs.
    I doubt Holgate or Johansen will return. Hopefully Gayle will.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    Notwithstanding the wage implications, existing contracts and of course loan-player contracts, herewith my list of the 2109 squad with whom I would be comfortable, if they stayed with us in the Championship next season.

Hegazi,
    JRod,
    Gayle,
    Barry,
    Gibbs,
    Phillips,
    Dawson,
    Johnstone,
    Holgate,
    Edwards
    Field,
    Johansen,
    Harper,

Have I missed any obvious candidates, or indeed included any dire choices ?
    Barry's been released. Everton say Holgate still remains part of their plans. Johansen's just renewed his deal at Fulham who probably see him as a key player in their push for promotion next season. JRod and Dawson may be romanced again by Burnley, Gibbs could look to move on. Hegazi would make a decent squad player for an average Prem Club or a starter for the likes of Sheffield Utd or Derby (hoping for the best there). Other than that a good shout

Quote Originally Posted by Albionmad View Post
    Barry's been released. Everton say Holgate still remains part of their plans. Johansen's just renewed his deal at Fulham who probably see him as a key player in their push for promotion next season. JRod and Dawson may be romanced again by Burnley, Gibbs could look to move on. Hegazi would make a decent squad player for an average Prem Club or a starter for the likes of Sheffield Utd or Derby (hoping for the best there). Other than that a good shout
    You’ve just run a bulldozer through 8 of 15 of Prando’s wish list mate :-))

To be fair, I would also be surprised if my ‘wish list’ became fulfilled!
    Still not comfortable with Bartley. Undoubtedly a much sounder performance against the Vile and indeed looked better in his preferred central role. However, I need convincing that his constant gesticulating will stop!
    Interesting no one disappointed to see the absence of Livermore ?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    You’ve just run a bulldozer through 8 of 15 of Prando’s wish list mate :-))
    I forgot Gayle.

I know Prando and the rest of us life long Baggies hope for the best.

However I'm resigned to several years of obscurity.

Until we have an owner and a board with joined up thinking (it's a cliche I know) we'll be hopping from red hot coal and sharp pebble for a long time

I still maintain that we were severely let down the season we finished 10th in the Prem under Tony Pulis. We didn't Kick on and spend the money to push further due to a total lack of Ambition from the board. For those who hate Pulis, we could have changed managers then and given him a wad of cash to buy who they want............but no. The rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    I still maintain that we were severely let down the season we finished 10th in the Prem under Tony Pulis. We didn't Kick on and spend the money to push further due to a total lack of Ambition from the board. For those who hate Pulis, we could have changed managers then and given him a wad of cash to buy who they want............but no. The rest is history.
    The problem is even if any Manager at that time had been given money the problems are
    1) would our recruitment department have identified any decent players
    2) would we have been able to convince any quality players to join us?

Plenty have had money and failed, I am far from convinced that if we had invested that the outcome would have been any different.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Why did we not kick on Boingy and invest?
    Answer - the bald c unt had already decided he was not investing zero and wanted to find a sucker to buy the club at the highest possible price.

Summary - along comes a little yellow sucker who knew sweet FA about football. The bald
    c unt lives happily ever after in his Jersey mansion!! 😭

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)