+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why we failed this year and will again next year?

Why we failed this year and will again next year?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48158693

I think this article is an excellent read about Salford and how they go about running the club, the total focus they have and perhaps explains why we have just swapped leagues with them. The quote below is from the piece and is from Salford co-owner Gary Neville
    "The year we didn't go up was my fault (4 out of 5 years) because I went away with England and we delayed our recruitment by two weeks.
    "We started our recruitment for this next league two months ago and on 8am on Monday (that’s 13th May) morning we will get those players in (their new signings!)

An important ingredient but far too simplistic just to put it down to early recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    An important ingredient but far too simplistic just to put it down to early recruitment.
    True, early recruitment is made much easier when you can offer far more cash than the rest of the division.

Could it possibly be to do with having a billionaire owner? I wonder?

Just as a matter of interest, didn't we get last season's recruiting done really early? That worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, didn't we get last season's recruiting done really early? That worked out well.
    Look, I'm saying there's more to it than just recruiting early, and EP - we were one of the high spenders too.

We just recruited the wrong players and had the wrong manager and an incoherent playing style. Otherwise we'd have romped it.

Oh, and credible owners help too even if they were rookies as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    True, early recruitment is made much easier when you can offer far more cash than the rest of the division.
    Absolutely. The ideal is obviously to sign the right type of players - having vetted their personalities and injury records - as early as possible in pre-season, but the key thing is making sure they fit in the playing style you have. We managed to sign a shedload of players last summer, but didn’t replace the target man, goalkeeper and midfield general, and neglected the defence.

Look, I'm saying there's more to it than just recruiting early, and EP - we were one of the high spenders too.
    And I was agreeing with you. It only seemed to work for us with the fake Munto money.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    And I was agreeing with you. It only seemed to work for us with the fake Munto money.
    And a good manager spending it !

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    And a good manager spending it !
    True, but Sven was never going to be sustainable.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast