+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oakwell capacity, 23, 287

In my opinion the two tier East stand was a mistake a single tier would have been adequate. Also the 6k capacity north stand was a mistake too. A single tier east built so that an extra could be added later if required would have been a better option. We could have had the entire ground (including the west stand) built back then with a capacity of around 18k, each stand should have been built with the ability to add tiers at a future date, like Cardiff did when they built their new ground. In fact many of the new build stadia do it this way, they have a basic structure that can be added to.....makes sense for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonTyke View Post
    In my opinion the two tier East stand was a mistake a single tier would have been adequate. Also the 6k capacity north stand was a mistake too. A single tier east built so that an extra could be added later if required would have been a better option. We could have had the entire ground (including the west stand) built back then with a capacity of around 18k, each stand should have been built with the ability to add tiers at a future date, like Cardiff did when they built their new ground. In fact many of the new build stadia do it this way, they have a basic structure that can be added to.....makes sense for me.
    I think the east stand was tremendous when it was built, it still is of course. It housed the 1st executive boxes and cooperate facilities out of any club in Yorkshire at the time. Although I take your point it was perhaps too big at the time I also think it showed great ambition as to where the club wanted to go and we got there a few years later. Considering the old brewery stand that preceded it with its open air pyss oils, it was a big statement by the club and took us to another level of thinking. I agree about the north stand, it's a bit of an eye sore on match days and has been underused since its completion. However, think big, build big. Think small and build small you stand still. John Dennis in building the academy and the redevelopment of Oakwell did tremendously well and it's a constant reminder of what he achieved as chairman.

My kind of owner wo John Dennis. Just got on wi things wiart all the media hype.

Nardays the owner/CEO ez only to fart and the club's Media Dept are breathing it in, praising it in Press Statements, mekking videos abart it, claiming it to be the most successful ever etc. etc

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    My kind of owner wo John Dennis. Just got on wi things wiart all the media hype.

Nardays the owner/CEO ez only to fart and the club's Media Dept are breathing it in, praising it in Press Statements, mekking videos abart it, claiming it to be the most successful ever etc. etc
    That’s more a reflection on the world today, if Dennis was in charge now it’d be the same

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    There are about 17000 tickets available for Barnsley fans and as we averaged over 12000 ticket sales to just Barnsley fans in Div 3 that leaves less than 5000 spare seats for Barnsley fans which is not bad. In the Championship this will be considerably less and won’t be far off a sell out at most games for seats available to BFC fans so I don’t get get your point
    " far off a sell out for most games" So you're saying there will be almost 17,000 Barnsley for " most games" ? With increased away support you should be looking at almost 20,000 per match ? Given that you've only achieved 15,000 + average five times since WW2, I think it's unlikely.
    Unless you're looking at the mythological 25,000+ average that you had throughout the 1950s, which animalspittle seems to have conjured up in his fertile brain

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Because Rotherham and Doncaster built brand new stadiums and decided their capacities met their requirements .

We on the other redeveloped Oakwell and felt our potential fan base could be over 20k , the pre Taylor report had the capacity at 36k so in effect we have more realistically reduced our numbers .

Oakwell is so soul destroying nobody's beaten us at Oakwell since March 2018 including yourselves .
    Even with a big away support the home sections of the ground looked deserted during our match

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Seeing as our regular visiting 'friend' from Brammall lane keeps on banging on abart the size of our club or our average crowds I thort about doing a bit of research to reciprocate and add balance. Now I do appreciate that he can rack up his figures on our attendances from certain periods in our history but we ain't the ones perpetually giving it large and maasaging our egos at the expense of others.

All attendances at Brammall lane including away support over a 10 year period when they were in the 2nd tier.

96/97 16,638
    97/98 17,942
    98/99 16,243
    99/00 13,718 (low point finished 16th)
    00/01 17,211
    01/02 18,020
    02/03 18,113
    03/04 21,646
    04/05 19,594
    05/06 23,660 (they finished 2nd that year gaining automatic promotion to Premiership, hence the large increase from previous seasons)

Averages art at 18k over 10 seasons with an average of 10,000 empty seats at every home game during that period in the 2nd tier. Lots of empty seats inspiring your players indeed Wardy.

As I say, he could rake up our attendance statistics but to be honest we're not the ones playing the big time Charlie's. I'm getting sick to death of this guy coming on here with his patronizing bullshyte. Bart time he had a reality check. I mean 13k average in the 99/00 season was what all big clubs are made of. I have no further questions your honour.

Lies dam lies and statistics. I never claimed United had mega support, but I do like to puncture the grandiose bullploppy that I read on here. You're very selective with your stats. Our support in the 3rd tier for example was pretty good considering.

Next season will be the third in a row that we have bettered our local MASSIVE rivals, not a concern for Barnsley fans I accept

Oh, and you need to calm down
    Last edited by Wardy; 21-05-2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Lies dam lies and statistics. I never claimed United had mega support, but I do like to puncture the grandiose bullploppy that I read on here. You're very selective with your stats. Our support in the 3rd tier for example was pretty good considering.

Next season will be the third in a row that we have bettered our local MASSIVE rivals, not a concern for Barnsley fans I accept

Oh, and you need to calm down
    Am perfectly calm thanks. Just stating fact that's all, based on your observations about Oakwell I felt it was only fair to reciprocate. Paint as many pictures as tha wants abart selective statistics, or make us aware of you're superior support to Wendy's, crowds in lg1, whatever. The facts are that you're ground is on average, at least third empty over a period of at least 25years.

It's BCSD syndrome Pass , all abart size , there Lass iz embarrassed , all that fuss abart size an arr big ! "The littul todja " ' enny chipoyles rarnd ere Roma" al just pull mi clarts up fust , thanks fo tunneet , Alevta gerroam nar , cellar doowar gets locked at mid neet ,,

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    We averaged 18k in the premiership (17,000 season tickets sold that year) but the capacity of Oakwell back then was just over 18k, this was before the large away stand was built raising the capacity to 23k. I've no doubt that had oakwell held 23k back in 1997/98 we'd have filled it such was the demand. The glory hunters came art in force that year then gradually disappeared after relegation back to the championship. Anyway, who gives a feck. This club, unlike our more illustrious big city neighbours doesn't have small d1ck syndrome where crowds are concerned. We have a good solid hard-core set of fans, always have had whether the stadiums aif full or aif empty. Leave it at that
    Yer reight.
    We have lost a lot of fans during the Patrick era as we never seemed to move forward.
    Just bounced about bottom of the Championship or near the top of League 1.
    No fault of Patrick but he just didn’t have the money to compete.
    Nothing got built on or off the field.
    What we see of the stadium and training facilities was all built by John Dennis.
    So these owners have a big task on their hands to move Barnsley in the right direction after 14 long long years of being in limbo.
    What these owners have is a club in Barnsley that can easily be a Watford or a Burnley type of club - it’s up to them now to make it happen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast