+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oakwell capacity, 23, 287

Oakwell capacity, 23, 287

Given that Rotherham and Doncaster Rovers have respectively 12,240 and 15,000 capacity stadiums why do Barnsley need such a large stadium. Whenever see match day pictures Oakwell always seems half empty. Accepting that your gates are quite good for a 75,000 town at 12,000 it must be soul destroying for the players to play in front of a half empty stadium. One person in six of the townspeople seems a good turn out but nevertheless ? Oakwell’s one of the more generous grounds for away fans, good job eh ?

Yoooo Reeeds

Because Rotherham and Doncaster built brand new stadiums and decided their capacities met their requirements .

We on the other redeveloped Oakwell and felt our potential fan base could be over 20k , the pre Taylor report had the capacity at 36k so in effect we have more realistically reduced our numbers .

Oakwell is so soul destroying nobody's beaten us at Oakwell since March 2018 including yourselves .

Potential fan base over 20,000 big mistake that, already 1:6 people attending. Only averaged 18,000 in the Premier ?

There are about 17000 tickets available for Barnsley fans and as we averaged over 12000 ticket sales to just Barnsley fans in Div 3 that leaves less than 5000 spare seats for Barnsley fans which is not bad. In the Championship this will be considerably less and won’t be far off a sell out at most games for seats available to BFC fans so I don’t get get your point

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Potential fan base over 20,000 big mistake that, already 1:6 people attending. Only averaged 18,000 in the Premier ?
    If the club had redeveloped Oakwell leaving us with a stadium capacity of 12k they would have been strung up by their kn@ckers .

The potential fan base is 20k whether you agree with that or not , difficult to pull off but that's where the bar is set here .

Football clubs can evolve and that's something the club took in to account , it may not happen but if it does we are covered .

It's gonna be so funny watching the faces of that lot at a sell out Bumhole Lane next seaon being spanked week after week...I will watch MOTD avidly next season just for that pleasure.

We averaged 18k in the premiership (17,000 season tickets sold that year) but the capacity of Oakwell back then was just over 18k, this was before the large away stand was built raising the capacity to 23k. I've no doubt that had oakwell held 23k back in 1997/98 we'd have filled it such was the demand. The glory hunters came art in force that year then gradually disappeared after relegation back to the championship. Anyway, who gives a feck. This club, unlike our more illustrious big city neighbours doesn't have small d1ck syndrome where crowds are concerned. We have a good solid hard-core set of fans, always have had whether the stadiums aif full or aif empty. Leave it at that

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    We averaged 18k in the premiership (17,000 season tickets sold that year) but the capacity of Oakwell back then was just over 18k, this was before the large away stand was built raising the capacity to 23k. I've no doubt that had oakwell held 23k back in 1997/98 we'd have filled it such was the demand. The glory hunters came art in force that year then gradually disappeared after relegation back to the championship. Anyway, who gives a feck. This club, unlike our more illustrious big city neighbours doesn't have small d1ck syndrome where crowds are concerned. We have a good solid hard-core set of fans, always have had whether the stadiums aif full or aif empty. Leave it at that
    Exactly Pass the club could have sold over 20k ST's that season had we had the capacity back then .

The big away stand was built with the intention of splitting it between home and away fans as I remember , I remember the Crewe home game in 99/2000 when it was home fans entirely and Alex fans in the West Stand North lower tier only .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Exactly Pass the club could have sold over 20k ST's that season had we had the capacity back then .

The big away stand was built with the intention of splitting it between home and away fans as I remember , I remember the Crewe home game in 99/2000 when it was home fans entirely and Alex fans in the West Stand North lower tier only .

Remember it well mate. Those Crewe fans that day gave some of the most vociferous away support I've ever seen at Oakwell. Fair play to em.

We also did the same against port vale at home that season. I think it was over the Christmas period, filled the north stand with home fans and chucked them in West stand north. We should've done that wi Walsall in that play off match a couple o year back but coppers stuck their beak in as usual and the club lost art on more money

Seeing as our regular visiting 'friend' from Brammall lane keeps on banging on abart the size of our club or our average crowds I thort about doing a bit of research to reciprocate and add balance. Now I do appreciate that he can rack up his figures on our attendances from certain periods in our history but we ain't the ones perpetually giving it large and maasaging our egos at the expense of others.

All attendances at Brammall lane including away support over a 10 year period when they were in the 2nd tier.

96/97 16,638
    97/98 17,942
    98/99 16,243
    99/00 13,718 (low point finished 16th)
    00/01 17,211
    01/02 18,020
    02/03 18,113
    03/04 21,646
    04/05 19,594
    05/06 23,660 (they finished 2nd that year gaining automatic promotion to Premiership, hence the large increase from previous seasons)

Averages art at 18k over 10 seasons with an average of 10,000 empty seats at every home game during that period in the 2nd tier. Lots of empty seats inspiring your players indeed Wardy.

As I say, he could rake up our attendance statistics but to be honest we're not the ones playing the big time Charlie's. I'm getting sick to death of this guy coming on here with his patronizing bullshyte. Bart time he had a reality check. I mean 13k average in the 99/00 season was what all big clubs are made of. I have no further questions your honour.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast