+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: O/T Records you wish you had kept from your younger days.

Never looked at sites like popsike before and was amazed at some of the prices. There seems to be a whole industry in different copies of Love's "Forever Changes", for example, with rare mint presses going for thousands of dollars. (I expect my crappy much played original isn't worth a ton but it's got some value nevertheless.)

Things like Procol Harum's first album (which I think is brilliant) seem to sell for an average of about £150 - something I casually bought for a mate for his birthday and ended up keeping for myself because he wasn't that bothered!

I do wish I could get my early Bert Jansch and John Renbourn albums back. Somebody walked off with them after a party in the late sixties and it's near on £200 to replace them now...

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post

I do wish I could get my early Bert Jansch and John Renbourn albums back. Somebody walked off with them after a party in the late sixties and it's near on £200 to replace them now...
    CT, you obviously went to the same kind of parties I did.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    CT, you obviously went to the same kind of parties I did.
    That doesn’t surprise me too much, Wendun - though I’m not quite sure whether you mean parties where acoustic folk blues music was played or parties where records were regularly nicked by other revelers (or, perish the thought, both!)

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    That doesn’t surprise me too much, Wendun - though I’m not quite sure whether you mean parties where acoustic folk blues music was played or parties where records were regularly nicked by other revelers (or, perish the thought, both!)
    The latter! The music was invariably Soul.

I never really lost records due to theft but I lost a load lending them to friends that “forgot” to give them back.

Bought this in a job lot in about 1978 for £30 quid with a few other records. Sold them all one a couple of months later for £45 quid and was very happy :-) it now goes for £500.00 Plus. Not so happy now! lol

I’m a vinyl fan having seen it wane and be reborn.

What makes me smile though is the market for vinyl records that are “mint’ or in some cases in their original shrink wrap ( an American thing) there are even higher prices for the same songs with a different coloured label.

Just what are records for, playing and listening to or for locking away and occasionally being looked at ( not played) like they were the Crown Jewels.

Got a few posters in albums during the seventies, Floyd, Quo etc. First thing I did was bang them up on my wall. Maybe I should have saved them. Might be worfth something to a collector now. But Grist is correct, live for today.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Sold all my vinyl about a year ago as a job lot. Don't really miss it as I hadn't had anything to play it on for over 20 years and it was just extra tonnage every time we moved.
    You old tightwad! You could have bought a deck ffs! I picked up my Dansette for £35 on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    I’m a vinyl fan having seen it wane and be reborn.

What makes me smile though is the market for vinyl records that are “mint’ or in some cases in their original shrink wrap ( an American thing) there are even higher prices for the same songs with a different coloured label.

Just what are records for, playing and listening to or for locking away and occasionally being looked at ( not played) like they were the Crown Jewels.
    I never play LPs, CDs or DVDs but keep them pristine in their original shrink. I then d/l a pirate version to play. Mind you I might be odd as I still have loads of shirts unworn in their wrappers some I bought 20 years ago.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast