+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dwight Gayle: West Brom opt not to make Newcastle United striker's signing permanent

Dwight Gayle: West Brom opt not to make Newcastle United striker's signing permanent

Well interesting stuff:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48316397

Not sure how I feel about that. I think this is tied in with Rondon? Any thought guys.

Strange one this,Gayle was their leading goal scorer.
    Perhaps they are thinking that Rondon is the better option,he scored very few goals when he was last there though,in fact I remember WBA fans saying he would not score for us in the Prem.

I can see exactly where W.B.A are coming from. Basically they can't afford premier league wages added to the fold.
    The gulf in wages between the premier league and the championship (barring those players caught on contracts after relegation) is massive.
    The financial rewards for a season in the championship are slim pickings, unless you get promoted.

I would imagine they'd take Gayle if Gayle was willing to forsake his last two years salary at Newcastle to drop down to championship wages.
    I sincerely doubt Gayle would entertain that unless he had a gun to his head.

Like I said before. I believe he's a premier league player and still has a lot to offer, even for us, in the right system.
    I don't think Rafa's ideals suit him but any club in the premier league willing to play to his strengths, I think they have a potential 15 goal striker as a minimum.

He's above championship level, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I can see exactly where W.B.A are coming from. Basically they can't afford premier league wages added to the fold.
    The gulf in wages between the premier league and the championship (barring those players caught on contracts after relegation) is massive.
    The financial rewards for a season in the championship are slim pickings, unless you get promoted.

I would imagine they'd take Gayle if Gayle was willing to forsake his last two years salary at Newcastle to drop down to championship wages.
    I sincerely doubt Gayle would entertain that unless he had a gun to his head.

Like I said before. I believe he's a premier league player and still has a lot to offer, even for us, in the right system.
    I don't think Rafa's ideals suit him but any club in the premier league willing to play to his strengths, I think they have a potential 15 goal striker as a minimum.

He's above championship level, in my opinion.
    He scored 24 goals for them in all competitions this season so they must be really skint if they can't afford him.

Who knows what his wages are. I doubt they are much higher than Rondon's.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post

I think W.B.A are caught in a trap, wages wise due to relegation.
    They have a fair few players on similar and even higher wages than Gayle.
    I don't think they can sustain adding Gayle's wage.
    It would be a different story if Gayle was like the rest and had a contract they had to honour.

The biggest issue W.B.A have is trying to offload their players to clubs willing to match or better the wages they're already on.
    And let's face it, most clubs in the premier league cannot afford the wages some of their players are on.

This wage issue is fast becoming a major stumbling block for a lot of clubs, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Gayle, just over £2 million https://www.spotrac.com/epl/newcastl...t-gayle-22936/

Rondon, £3,120,000 https://www.spotrac.com/epl/free-age...ch-albion-f.c/

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)