+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a real fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    No such thing as a real fan. There’s 2 types of fan. Those with tickets and those without tickets. Neither is better than the other.
    I would always like to have the ticket in hand

There's a big difference between fan and customer even though both pay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    I always differentiate between fan and supporter.
    Fans come and go depending on how the season is progressing and supporters tend to hang around a bit longer in the hope of a promotion.
    There's also the social aspect which imo should not be underestimated. A group of us went to the games and it was a social ritual. After I moved away we lost touch and most stopped going. Then I moved to a village in Lancashire and met a Miller from Greasbro and we started going over to games together. Now he's gone and travelling over and back on my own just doesn't appeal so I only go if I'm visiting Rotherham or the team are playing in Lancashire.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I hardly go but I consider myself as a real fan.
    Plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    Yesterday I got my dad some derby county tickets for my dad, within 2 hours it was sold out. Within seconds of it selling out people took to twitter and Facebook complaining that the tickets should be for real fans. Now it made me wonder what is a real fan?

A season ticket holder who bought his first season ticket?
    A kid who became a mascot or flag bearer?
    A old man like my dad who has been a supporter for 55 years but goes to very few games?

When people are vague it confuses the crap out of me, why can’t people just say they are bitter
    I think it’s just some get upset in not getting a ticket but understandable when some miss out due to mates getting mates tickets who hardly go or even support another a club.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    I think it’s just some get upset in not getting a ticket but understandable when some miss out due to mates getting mates tickets who hardly go or even support another a club.
    I know mate personally I wouldn’t go if it wasn’t for my dad but since he went to Wembley with me last year I’m obligated too. I feel for the fans who didn’t get a ticket I do but no matter what system they put in place you will always get people buying lots of tickets to sell on

And let's not forget that quite recently Premier League Fan of the Year was 79 yo Chinese Granny Liu a fanatical Arsenal fan who had never been to England. For reasons hard to comprehend Arsenal are the most popular league club in China and their most popular national team is Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I hardly go but I consider myself as a real fan.
    Anyone who travels from France and wears a red berry, gets p1ssed down Wickersley Friday night, gets up early the next day to do the same with strange people with the same name from Treeton......definitely a proper fan

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Anyone who travels from France and wears a red berry, gets p1ssed down Wickersley Friday night, gets up early the next day to do the same with strange people with the same name from Treeton......definitely a proper fan
    We'll have to do it again one day! I'll bring Perigord but the only problem with him is that he drinks less but is much funnier!

Rightly or wrongly most clubs look at season ticket holders as a real fan and anyone else as casual supporters. Thats just the way it is.

There may be other schemes etc they take into account but mostly season ticket holders are the ones most looked after.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast