+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Clarke confirmed as Scotland manager

Quote Originally Posted by nice1simmy View Post
    I thought Kenny Mclean was Scotland'a best player last night,he kept posession well and put in decent challenges,didn't look out of place in international football and i think he will improve next season playing in the EPL
    He couldn’t have kept it that well we only had 29% of the posession

To be fair I don’t think he has let himself down in the games he has played so far and there are a lot worse players than him so maybe I was being harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Biggest issue I see with youth football in Scotland is that the managers of youth teams are far more focussed on winning at all costs than development of players.
    This means that more often than not, the game is played at a fast pace trying to outrun or over power the opposition.
    The game is played at 100% all the time in this country, whereas having only listened to the game last night, it was evident that Belgium were patient and played with changes in tempo as required.
    We need to adopt that more and focus on being in more control of possession, work the spaces and slow the game down so that when we inject that burst of speed, it's more effective.

There's no doubt that the coaches determination to win trumps all other considerations - namely developing kids into better players. Bigger players are used rather than skillful ones, massive scores are allowed to be run up, kids are taken in from other areas rather than giving local kids a chance to play. Part of the problem is the SFA/Malky Mackay-led Project Brave. My grandson played with a premier league team at under-12 level. This necessitated 3 nights training and - at times - a 7 am departure from home and 8 pm arrival back for a weekend match in Ayrshire. The whole idea behind PB is to take the cream of the talent and allow it to develop by playing against similarly skilled players in other parts of Scotland. In reality, the commitment can discourage many, the emphasis on winning encourages size over skill and a win-at-all-costs mentality which manifests itself as harsh criticism.

Give every kid that wants to play the game a chance to play the game. Travelling 8 hours on a weekend not to get a game when your team wins 7-0 is not the way to build a sound pyramid.

Project Brave. Malky Mackay.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    He couldn’t have kept it that well we only had 29% of the posession

To be fair I don’t think he has let himself down in the games he has played so far and there are a lot worse players than him so maybe I was being harsh.
    Well 28% of that was down to Mclean

Quote Originally Posted by nice1simmy View Post
    I thought Kenny Mclean was Scotland'a best player last night,he kept posession well and put in decent challenges,didn't look out of place in international football and i think he will improve next season playing in the EPL
    Agree with this. I've got a feeling he will become the first pick in midfield and will do well in the EPL. He looks comfortable on the ball and his team mates don't hesitate to give it to him in tight situations because they know he's good enough to take care of it.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910