+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stead to Halifax?

Good luck to Stead, always gave his all but always played without a target man which was unkind on him.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    Good luck to Stead, always gave his all but always played without a target man which was unkind on him.
    he's stolen a living for 15 years off the back of a purple patch at blackburn where everything he touched for a month went in the goal.

in my opinion its 'journeymen pro's' like him that have been overpaid and under performed that have been a big part of our downfall, he's far from the only one but 42 goals in over 3 years just isn't what you want from your striker when you're paying top money in league 2.

saying that i'm resigned to the fact that he's gonna get a hattrick against us next year (3 penalties)

Potentially off to league one with Tranmere

Quote Originally Posted by FRT 87 View Post
    Potentially off to league one with Tranmere
    No chance. He wouldn't even find the Mersey Tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Rumour going round he's off to Halifax. Anyone know if it has any truth to it?
    Hope so..at least we will get two clean sheets

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    he's stolen a living for 15 years off the back of a purple patch at blackburn where everything he touched for a month went in the goal.

in my opinion its 'journeymen pro's' like him that have been overpaid and under performed that have been a big part of our downfall, he's far from the only one but 42 goals in over 3 years just isn't what you want from your striker when you're paying top money in league 2.

saying that i'm resigned to the fact that he's gonna get a hattrick against us next year (3 penalties)
    I tend to agree. No doubt he gave it 100% on the pitch, but for the vast majority of his time at Notts, Stead looked off the pace. Pretty much every team we played against in L2 had a big, burly, muscular forward. In comparison, Stead looked like an old man. No doubt he was one of the highest-paid strikers in L2 as well.

We need to stop going for fading 'big name' players who demand above average wages, and instead sign players in their 20s with something to prove.

And yet countless managers have played him during that 15 year period. They must all know less than you. Why are you not Pep Guardiola’s advisor?
    Look, Stead has his limitations. To me he is not quite anything. He isn’t quick. He isn’t a legitimate target man. What he gives is 100%. Some times that was good enough and other times it wasn’t. What I will say in his defence is that we never once played to his strengths. Despite being tall he wanted the ball to his feet, not 3000 yards in a channel to run after or a mile in the air. So in that respect the 42 goal return in 3 years is not a disaster. Would have been 43 had he not blazed over a penalty v Bury 😭😭

Don't worry, we'll just put a cone out to mark him. The cone will still win all the headers 🤣

Was Stead poor in the air or better at winning free kicks high up the pitch? He seemed to go over at the slightest of contact in a aerial battle. Over 3 years under numerous managers I put it down to instruction.

I'm not allowed to reveal my source ( all I'm willing to say is that he sits next to me at every game ) but in other transfer gossip.

Bird said to be interesting Barnsley..... good for the lad but I would be sorry to see him go.
    Enzio said to be interesting Motherwell and Lincoln......good for the lad but I will get over it, very quickly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast