+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The modern game.

The modern game.

Stopped watching the cup final after an hour on Sunday. Is it me or is there something wrong when a team beats another team in the top half of the Premier League 6-0. All our major trophy successes came after hard fought campaigns and battles and it sickens me when I see one top journalist crowing how Man City are the best English team of all time when they only had one English player on the field. Unfortunately the only benefit of promotion is the cut from the money swilling around the top league. The top teams hoover up the promising young talent which is then loaned out various lower league clubs in order to stop any other teams from playing them in the Premier League. I hope Sheff Unt and Norwich enjoy the defeats they will suffer every other week in the PL, they can comfort themselves with the cash windfall before they rejoin the most competitive league in the world in the next year or two.

Agree with you about the cup final.Didnt even watch it ..

agree with you about the championship being the most competitive league in the world..

Agree with you about all the young talent being hoovered up by money clubs then being discarded .

Agree with you about the Blunts and Canaries will suffer lots of defeats in the Premier league..

Personally i I preferred to watch the championship,but it's all about the money nowadays.. 120 million or more for finishing 15th in the Premier is all the board are interested in.. Fans put up with it because they are getting to see some of the greatest players in the world down the Turf.. The premier league consists of three mini leagues nowadays..I'm afraid that's the way football is going..

Whatever er you think about the Premier league,I'm sure you would want Leeds to be in it instead of the championship Mick ?

Quote Originally Posted by mick64 View Post
    Stopped watching the cup final after an hour on Sunday. Is it me or is there something wrong when a team beats another team in the top half of the Premier League 6-0. All our major trophy successes came after hard fought campaigns and battles and it sickens me when I see one top journalist crowing how Man City are the best English team of all time when they only had one English player on the field. Unfortunately the only benefit of promotion is the cut from the money swilling around the top league. The top teams hoover up the promising young talent which is then loaned out various lower league clubs in order to stop any other teams from playing them in the Premier League. I hope Sheff Unt and Norwich enjoy the defeats they will suffer every other week in the PL, they can comfort themselves with the cash windfall before they rejoin the most competitive league in the world in the next year or two.
    I can't recall the exact figures that were quoted prematch but it was something like

Transfer Value of the Man Citys subs (not including starting 11) £215 million

Value of the entire Watford squad £47 million.

I think that is a good indicator of what is wrong with modern football.

the rich 6 are ridiculous, the financial figures just dont add up, there has to be some corruption in there somewhere

both man city and watfords teams were seriously lacking in english,. or even british players, i will continue to say it, until something is done, england will continue to be crap

as far as leeds' 15 senior players are concerned, casilla berardi alioski jansson klich and hernandez are all foreign (6), BPF ayling douglas cooper phillips forshaw dallas bamford and roofe are all british (9), good balance between the 2 i reckon

just to add to that, if we ended up with 11 british and 7 foreign in Marcelos senior 18 i don't think thats too unreasonable to be honest, some of the teams even in the championship were more foreignated than that, sickening!

norwich, 14 foreign seniors, its a bad thing to see

apart from the top 6 the rest are more than beatable. Would expect us to be top ten on our eventual return.Obviously we would then go on to win it within 5 years, once we have had chance to put some of that Prem gravy to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by CLIVETHELEEDSFAN View Post
    just to add to that, if we ended up with 11 british and 7 foreign in Marcelos senior 18 i don't think thats too unreasonable to be honest, some of the teams even in the championship were more foreignated than that, sickening!

"foreignated" My word of the year Clive, Thanks for that!

Interesting fact is that had it still been two points for a win rather than the current "pointless" three then Liverpool would have been champions. Also why all the fuss about the "Champions" Leugue? It's a watered down version of the old Fairs Cup and easier to win.

From my point of view, the much bigger problem is "who" was doing it. A team that wouldn't be anywhere near winning without their sheikh. The way that club was built up, throwing ridiculous amount of money at everything and everyone makes me absolutely despise them, along with PSG. And when a plastic club like them wins the Champions League, now that will be a dark day for football...

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)