+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 Golden Rules To Rebuild Our Club By...

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Any even crazier stat is that in 19 of the last 25 seasons we've won less than half our home games.
    This one is really mystifying. We have a first-class stadium (for Leagues 1 & 2) and have had excellent home support and increasing attendance yet we find dominating visiting teams almost impossible, and you can't blame Alan Hardy for that, he's only been here for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    I've mentioned some of this on other threads, but following our relegation I'd really like Notts to take this as a chance to rebuild and create the kind of identity that you see sustain other successful smaller clubs.

Here's some of the kind of rules I'd like to see us implement as soon as possible:

1) A SENIOR SQUAD OF NO MORE THAN 25 PLAYERS
    This season our squad of 40-odd helped take us down. We've been doing this for seasons now. Never again!

2) GIVE OUR YOUNG PLAYERS A CHANCE
    Stop stockpiling journeymen in front of them. Bird, Etete, Crawford, Patching and Osborne all need regular squad places next season. Young loanees from the leagues above us can work too, but it's a better idea to give our own a chance first.

3) BRING IN PLAYERS ON THE WAY UP
    Scout hungry players from the leagues below us. Not has-beens on the way down.

4) INSTALL A FAIR WAGE CAP & BALANCE
    If Vaughn was on £5k a week this season then there will have been players who played more games for us than him on a fifth of his wage. That kind of disparity just breeds contempt between players and kills team spirit.

5) PRIORITISE FITNESS
    There's really no excuse for professional sportsmen to be in such bad shape as ours were this season. Do we have a fitness coach at the club? And if we have doubts about the fitness of potential signings, then don't sign them!

6) PRIORITISE SCOUTING
    Do we have people out there looking for the best talent in the two leagues below us? And have them looking for people specifically in the positions we need, rather than signing 18 centre-mids because someone recommended them.

7) WORK TOWARDS AN EVEN BALANCE SHEET
    This one will kill us if we don't get it right soon. If Accrington and Exeter can do it, why can't we? With Hemmings, Enzio & Kellet etc still on the wage bill we probably can't get there for a season or two. But we can work towards it.

8) TRY AND SET CONSISTENT FORMATIONS ACROSS THE 1ST TEAM, RESERVES AND YOUTH
    We may already do this? But if our manager next season wants to play 442 or 433 or 352 then we should get the other teams to adopt that format too. It's less important for the reserves and youth teams to win games than it is to breed 1st team ready players.

9) DON'T ABANDON SENIOR PLAYERS AFTER A FEW BAD GAMES
    Vaughan, Kellet, Dennis, Enzio - all expensive signings and yet barely a full season between them. If they have a bad game or two, stick them on the bench and give them 15mins here and there to get their mojo back.

10) GIVE US SOMETHING TO CHEER AT HOME
    Our fans were brilliant this season, especially towards the end. But we saw so little fight in so many games at home. We need and deserve more at Meadow Lane next season.

What other rules would you like to see installed as part of the fabric of our club?
    Other than 9 ( those players were stuck with except Vaughn who didnt deserve it) the others werent fit enough I think I would like to see you send that to the South Africans via Scoop who is now best mates with them.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    An important factor in our demise is that only 9 seasons in the last 25 has a manger been in place for the whole season.
    In fact get rid of the manger and the straw. Modernise the set-up with a cradle from IKEA

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    In fact get rid of the manger and the straw. Modernise the set-up with a cradle from IKEA
    Strong and stable plan.

It'll never work without three wise men though.

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    It'll never work without three wise men though.
    Two wide men might help too.

Some things I'd add

- Have a style of play in mind and look to bring in a manager that plays that way. Incase if things don't work out, the next manager will still be able to utilise the players we have.
    - Managers to be given at least a full season - (Unless absolutely catastrophic)
    -Look to build positive relationships with larger clubs in our region, so we can recruit their best young players on loan deals.
    - Have a decent level of aerial ability in the squad to help at set pieces
    - Avoid signing injury prone players

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    2) GIVE OUR YOUNG PLAYERS A CHANCE and 3) BRING IN PLAYERS ON THE WAY UP make 9) DON'T ABANDON SENIOR PLAYERS AFTER A FEW BAD GAMES irrelevant. I think 9 is the ony one I disagree with. People have to earn their place, keeping senior players happy has relegated this club.
    I hear you. I guess what I want us to avoid in future is to bring in expensive players like Kellet and then only give him 3 lots of 3-4 games over a year. Which we did this season.

He's still fairly young and clearly got some talent. But I think he's stuck between a rock and a hard place on a big contract with a club that don't want or know where to play him.

We need to avoid carrying passengers like this in future, but then if the other rules were followed about fitness, recruitment and a system of play we probably wouldn't be doing that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jscarr View Post
    Some things I'd add

- Have a style of play in mind and look to bring in a manager that plays that way. Incase if things don't work out, the next manager will still be able to utilise the players we have.
    - Managers to be given at least a full season - (Unless absolutely catastrophic)
    -Look to build positive relationships with larger clubs in our region, so we can recruit their best young players on loan deals.
    - Have a decent level of aerial ability in the squad to help at set pieces
    - Avoid signing injury prone players
    Yep. I agree with all these too.

Actually have a scouting network

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast