+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RUFC top survey

Finally we win something!

Long-ball masters.

FC Honka great name for a team too.

If we were smart we'd replace Warne with FC Honka manager Vesa Vasara and we'd have some entertaining football to watch.

And people were calling Pulis a dinosaur in that Middlesbrough thread, what is Warne then, a young dinosaur?
    Last edited by great_fire; 21-05-2019 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo88 View Post
    Surely it just shows our lads are able to kick it to a team mate further away than those weak duffers at PSG and Barcelona - if you can pass accurately why not do it over long distances? ��
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Finally we win something!

Long-ball masters.

FC Honka great name for a team too.

If we were smart we'd replace Warne with FC Honka manager Vesa Vasara and we'd have some entertaining football to watch.

And people were calling Pulis a dinosaur in that Middlesbrough thread, what is Warne then, a young dinosaur?
    I think that Warne got the most out of his players and Pulis didn't. Imagine what Warne would do if he had the same budget as Pulis I don't think that we'd be playing 4-5-1

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    We really have to be less sensitive to perceived criticism. This is an interesting survey. I don't see it as criticism; it merely points out that we used a long ball approach last season. At one stage in football history gurus argued that was the way to go and it may well come back into fashion.
    I'm not sure how you have perceived any sensitivity, as no personal emotion was implied nor given.

Something else which may be interesting or not...Rotherham over achieved last year (when compared to our average league position over the last 50 years).
    https://www.skysports.com/football/n...years-revealed

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I think that Warne got the most out of his players and Pulis didn't. Imagine what Warne would do if he had the same budget as Pulis I don't think that we'd be playing 4-5-1
    Interesting perception of PW there frog, with regards to him not playing 4-5-1if he had the budget that Pulis had, because I'm not so sure.
    I think all managers find a way of playing that they feel is best for them, and works for them, and then looks for players to fit that system.
    I can't think of one manager ,ever, who was a long ball manager reverting to producing a team that suddenly played fluent and good quick passing attacking football, for instance Pulis and Allardyce. Nor can I think of a manager who had his teams playing attacking passing football reverting to long ball, even if only for one game.
    I'm not even knocking the long ball managers, because it's been a joy to watch our team this season, so I personally think if PW had a bigger budget, we'd probably get similar type players who were better than what we've got at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    Interesting perception of PW there frog, with regards to him not playing 4-5-1if he had the budget that Pulis had, because I'm not so sure.
    I think all managers find a way of playing that they feel is best for them, and works for them, and then looks for players to fit that system.
    I can't think of one manager ,ever, who was a long ball manager reverting to producing a team that suddenly played fluent and good quick passing attacking football, for instance Pulis and Allardyce. Nor can I think of a manager who had his teams playing attacking passing football reverting to long ball, even if only for one game.
    I'm not even knocking the long ball managers, because it's been a joy to watch our team this season, so I personally think if PW had a bigger budget, we'd probably get similar type players who were better than what we've got at the moment
    I don't think he had a choice in playing Ronners. The players we had could only produce the football we did and any changers in the style of play wer curtailed by injurie.

I think that we'll play 4-4-2 next season and I honestly believe that the back four are good enough to play the ball out of the back. The one thing that has stopped any sort of fluid play this season past were the wingers and the lack of another centre forrud that could play with Smith.
    The play from our most creative wingers in Williams and Taylor was based on them getting hold of the balls and running up the pitch as far as possible to try and win a free kick, throw in or a corner. Our best two wide players are Newell and Forde but they're not wingers.
    If we can play another forrud with Smith then we get better out wide because I think that it would give us that extra second or two to get further up the field and keep posession without it being a dead ball.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I don't think he had a choice in playing Ronners. The players we had could only produce the football we did and any changers in the style of play wer curtailed by injurie.

I think that we'll play 4-4-2 next season and I honestly believe that the back four are good enough to play the ball out of the back. The one thing that has stopped any sort of fluid play this season past were the wingers and the lack of another centre forrud that could play with Smith.
    The play from our most creative wingers in Williams and Taylor was based on them getting hold of the balls and running up the pitch as far as possible to try and win a free kick, throw in or a corner. Our best two wide players are Newell and Forde but they're not wingers.
    If we can play another forrud with Smith then we get better out wide because I think that it would give us that extra second or two to get further up the field and keep posession without it being a dead ball.
    I do think that for a club like us on a low budget at championship level it was probably the right way to play, because trying to play our way up the field could have been catastrophic, and the first day hammering at Brentford seemed to haunt PW for the rest of the season.
    There were games I feel he should have been more expansive in his formation, Ipswich and Bolton away are 2 of them, but all that's in the past so let's see who comes in and goes out so we can make an informed decision on how we think we'll do next season.

the first day hammering at Brentford seemed to haunt PW for the rest of the season.
    Unfortunately, it looks like it could be for the rest of his career - but let's hope not! If you go into any away fixture against one of the division's more fancied teams, with a half-assembled squad and an inexperienced player at full back who is being played of position, you are unlikely to win with any formation. Not sure that Warney views it that way, though.

SE and Chiropodist didn't rely on 4-5-1 for EVERY game, and they managed to keep us up.

Long ball experts recurring pattern

1. Rotherham United (ENG) - 23.42m religated

2. Livingston (SCO) - 23.38m
    4th bottom

3. Stromsgodset (NOR) - 22.64m
    2 points above religation

4. Cardiff City (ENG) - 22.44m religated

5. Birmingham City (ENG) - 22.40m
    mid table

6. Bolton (ENG) - 22.01m religated

7. FC Hermannstadt (ROU) - 22m. 3rd bottom religated

8. Hamilton Academical (SCO) - 21.98m 3rd bottom

I do think that for a club like us on a low budget at championship level it was probably the right way to play, because trying to play our way up the field could have been catastrophic, and the first day hammering at Brentford seemed to haunt PW for the rest of the season.
    There were games I feel he should have been more expansive in his formation, Ipswich and Bolton away are 2 of them, but all that's in the past so let's see who comes in and goes out so we can make an informed decision on how we think we'll do next season.
    You're right and I can't wait! We should be more attacking with better football played through the midfield next season. Wiles and Crooks look an exciting duo in there from the snippets we've seen the last season.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast