+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RUFC top survey

RUFC top survey

Interesting piece in the MailOnline. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...t-longest.html

Rotherham had the longest length of passes of all teams in 35 European domestic leagues. Not sure what this means but it probably means something.

So we are a long ball team after all.

I wonder how that would be effected if our keeper passed it out instead of hoofing it up the park every time.

Also in defence of The Millers which we know had the smallest budget in the league, the other teams int top 10, how many of the have a simular small budget in their leagues obviously Bolton excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    So we are a long ball team after all.

I wonder how that would be effected if our keeper passed it out instead of hoofing it up the park every time.

Also in defence of The Millers which we know had the smallest budget in the league, the other teams int top 10, how many of the have a simular small budget in their leagues obviously Bolton excluded.
    I don't see it particularly as an attack on our playing style but it does suggest we are indisputably a long ball team.

I thought towards end of season we did pass ball more often instead of hoof ball until we were put under pressure.

I’ve occasionally shouted to players to be quicker in throw ins, goal kick.
    What boils my piss is Mattock who always has his back to the keeper when balls in hand, seriously no defenders should have backs to keeper, you should be ready if he wants to pass you the ball.

Yes I’ve got a moan in

Surely it just shows our lads are able to kick it to a team mate further away than those weak duffers at PSG and Barcelona - if you can pass accurately why not do it over long distances? 😆

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    I thought towards end of season we did pass ball more often instead of hoof ball until we were put under pressure.

I’ve occasionally shouted to players to be quicker in throw ins, goal kick.
    What boils my piss is Mattock who always has his back to the keeper when balls in hand, seriously no defenders should have backs to keeper, you should be ready if he wants to pass you the ball.

Yes I’ve got a moan in
    Some good points. There's plenty more that should be worked on in training too. Yes, the players can kick the ball a long way and run a lot (unfortunately, rarely for the whole 90-odd minutes, and not for the 100-odd minutes needed for fixtures against t'Pigs under football league rules). Now the other skills need to be developed.
    Not sure that rolling the ball out to Vyner would have been a good idea though, and under Stubbsy, Mattock usually looked likely to do something daft too.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 21-05-2019 at 08:01 AM.

When you play 4-5-1 every game, hoofing the ball to the 1 is the dominant tactic ( if you can call it a tactic)

other useful survey suggestions...
    teams with better goal difference are near the top of the league and those with the worst are near the bottom of the league...
    teams with most money...
    teams with most debt...
    teams whom flaunt ffp...

Quote Originally Posted by fc_miller View Post
    other useful survey suggestions...
    teams with better goal difference are near the top of the league and those with the worst are near the bottom of the league...
    teams with most money...
    teams with most debt...
    teams whom flaunt ffp...
    We really have to be less sensitive to perceived criticism. This is an interesting survey. I don't see it as criticism; it merely points out that we used a long ball approach last season. At one stage in football history gurus argued that was the way to go and it may well come back into fashion.

Another stupid fact! Teams who play in red or blue win more games than all the other teams colours put together.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast