+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Stewart has his say on last January

As you know I always look from the opposite direction of many...but I'm sure this has been mentioned before that when we hire true professionals - long term trusted pro's within their fields be it management or back room they leave after a while and we bring "mates" in.

I'm with the pro's in this respect - I can see all those past managers who we attracted here with promises and the fifa bashing PC using player guru just leaving in disbelief. Even players of past quality - with experience of big clubs - simply loosing respect / interest for the club.

Could it be that "Toy Town" really isn't an insult any more - it's a fact. PW being the only "manager" we could get now....hope the course goes well. Kick and run football and Yates still respected as a player.....gawd elp us.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndEarly View Post
    As you know I always look from the opposite direction of many...but I'm sure this has been mentioned before that when we hire true professionals - long term trusted pro's within their fields be it management or back room they leave after a while and we bring "mates" in.

I'm with the pro's in this respect - I can see all those past managers who we attracted here with promises and the fifa bashing PC using player guru just leaving in disbelief. Even players of past quality - with experience of big clubs - simply loosing respect / interest for the club.

Could it be that "Toy Town" really isn't an insult any more - it's a fact. PW being the only "manager" we could get now....hope the course goes well. Kick and run football and Yates still respected as a player.....gawd elp us.
    That final statement is a bit strange, I think the majority on here and at RUFC have recognised he's probably not good enough for where we aspire to be but as a local lad wish him well wherever he lands.

As for managers, we have had 4 permanent ones since the SE days, one is still with us, one hasn't been seen in management since, one just failed with a healthy budget to get Portsmouth out of League 1 and one was an unmitigated disaster with us and again when he returned to management. I'll leave you to guess who's who?

I agree that many on MM have at long last identified Yates as not up to scratch but that's not PW. The contract extensions were extraordinary at the time they were made and spent our wage budget on two players that should not have played in the championship at all.

The managers all left stating that all was not as it seemed at Rotherham. I understand your references but I say MM rewrite history but I don't. The periods you refer to were a disaster area for any manager to cope with - and Warnock left a vacuum of players and highly paid old players. That's just a happily forgotten fact for some. That preseason / summer was appalling before any manager even got to the club....we ended up with a conscripted Paul Warne. His naivety cost us two championship relegations when a true pro manager "might have" saved us. Open to debate / opinion but history ( all of it mind you ) leans towards PW culpability - and that hurts.

I agree that many on MM have at long last identified Yates as not up to scratch but that's not PW. The contract extensions were extraordinary at the time they were made and spent our wage budget on two players that should not have played in the championship at all.

The managers all left stating that all was not as it seemed at Rotherham. I understand your references but I say MM rewrite history but I don't. The periods you refer to were a disaster area for any manager to cope with - and Warnock left a vacuum of players and highly paid old players. That's just a happily forgotten fact for some. That preseason / summer was appalling before any manager even got to the club....we ended up with a conscripted Paul Warne. His naivety cost us two championship relegations when a true pro manager "might have" saved us. Open to debate / opinion but history ( all of it mind you ) leans towards PW culpability - and that hurts.
    Largely agree with Kempo, let’s hope we get some good signings pre-season

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    Last time we were total sh*t,this time we were just not good enough,and he`s probably wasting the kids inheritance.
    TS is the one who said that lessons had been learned from the last time we were in the Championship and that the same sort of mistakes wouldn't be made again.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    TS is the one who said that lessons had been learned from the last time we were in the Championship and that the same sort of mistakes wouldn't be made again.
    Really?
    To be fair he didn’t repeat same mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    Chairmans full of the brown stuff.
    What would you expect him to say? Last January was fine, we have no ambition as a club?

You hit the nail on the head earlier managers leave and Paul warne and his mates took over because of dedication they had, problem is even if we got a good manager who could push us to mid table of championship he will most likely bugger off as soon as he could, do you think shef u would have been promoted in championship under someone else? I doubt it. Even Man U have gone for dedication rather than talent. I have many questions about how the club is ran. Like how could we trim down our wage budget and have less money than when we went down last time? Where did promotion money go?
    You can’t deny that The backing Paul warne got compared to Evans and Stubbs has been dismal.

The one issue I have with TS is him not giving the manager a budget and he’s said we don’t have a set budget too, I mean come on every club iv seen apart from ours gives the manager a set budget at start of the season and if he needs more he has to request it from the board members and owner, if they don’t use all the money the money then goes into next year’s budget. This is how Huddersfield got promoted they saved bit by bit until they was in a good place to get promoted then they spent a lot in one season.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    What would you expect him to say? Last January was fine, we have no ambition as a club?
    Might have been nearer the truth 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    To be fair he didn’t repeat same mistake
    Really? Do you think every effort was made to preserve the club's Championship status?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast