Get your very own personalised Duke's Bar gifts!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 60

Thread: Tony Stewart has his say on last January

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,444
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Really? Do you think every effort was made to preserve the club's Championship status?
    No I donít

    He didnít make same mistake the main mistake he did 2 years ago was buying blackstock on cheap on high wages in a panic buy when better options were turned down earlier, it wasnít lack of funds that year it was him playing Dickinsonís real deal.

    The mistake this year was he didnít even go to the market and decided to send warne to charity shops instead looking for freebies and kept his wallet shut.

    Mistake yes but completely different

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    341
    We have learnt from our mistakes he said. That was the season we went into the championship, and he's saying the same now. We were talking to seven players plus the lad from Millwall later on and we got one over the line. Lot of people on here were saying a couple of loans in the Jan transfer window would probably have kept us up and that we didn't get those players in is down to the chairman.

  3. #23
    What a ridiculous statement to make itís down to the chairman??
    What evidence and not opinion or rumours do you have that it was 100% down to TS?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    What a ridiculous statement to make itís down to the chairman??
    What evidence and not opinion or rumours do you have that it was 100% down to TS?
    As far as I know

    TS is in charge of money

    Trotter scouts players for warne and rob

    PW and rob are in charge of getting players in based on TS money and trotters info

    Douglas sorts contracts and wages.

    Could be wrong but thatís how I think it works

    However with no set budget it leaves Paul warne asking Tony Tony can a get some pocket money

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    27,955
    Look read this like it is. Weíre down, there was NEVER any intention to spend any money to keep us up in January.

    Warne knew to keep quiet and crack on with what he had and he did a great job,

    Maybe, just maybe, heís given Ďsomeí kind of budget to mount a realistic challenge next season.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Look read this like it is. We’re down, there was NEVER any intention to spend any money to keep us up in January.

    Warne knew to keep quiet and crack on with what he had and he did a great job,

    Maybe, just maybe, he’s given ‘some’ kind of budget to mount a realistic challenge next season.

    I think most regular fans accept that the club has to stay within sensible financial spending targets, but equally the same fans are fed up with these “smoke and mirrors” statements the club puts out.

    You’re right about Warne, I can’t see him storming into the chairman’s office demanding transfer money or he resigns. It’s a hand in glove arrangement

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,933
    WOW! jUST WOW!

    Have you lot heard yourselves?

    Why cant you just believe the chairman and that what he says is the truth of the matter? I totally believe that we were let down by the recruitment people and that the chairman was bamboozled by the tech guy with his fancy software etc.

    I feel for Warny even with all his faults but he is learning how to be a manager and everything that comes with it. For me Warny is the way forward for the club and has the potential to become a good manager. Yes he made mistakes but who here does not make mistakes! The trick is to learn from them.

    The club is in a new era where wages and price tags are out of control and value for money has to be taken into account.

    From where I'm sitting the club is in good hands and I am excited about the future.

    UTM!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,735
    Think i read that Scotty was involved in finding Maupay for Brentford, who is now being touted for £10M+, but they paid £1m for him.

    So it doesn't matter who they "find" as long as they're the cheaper option. We won't be risking £1m on anyone.

    Clark-Harris, Bowery, Becchio and Blackstock all wasted a good wage, and TS won't get his fingers burnt again, but that could mean

    we DO miss the next bargain....

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    13,184
    Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    Clark-Harris, Bowery, Becchio and Blackstock all wasted a good wage
    It's easy to see from that assessment. We need to try lower down the alphabet. What's Bobby Zamora up to these days

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    448
    Overall my worry is that Warne isn't manager enough to improve the "Quality" of player and therefore the squad. Most of Warne's men were pleased to be here - coming from lower leagues to a relatively bigger club. No players from big clubs -
    ( Towell - pleased to get a game ) or players with a confident streak - a big "I AM" player - who could actually score for example. We got triers and that's not good enough.

    This would be OK if we had a Clough senior type guru who could create a team that is better than its constituent parts.

    But the management team can't even drill the team to defend effectively - and coming top of the long ball league is ****e.

    My fear is the Nicely Nicely club will reduce this club to also rans long term.

    A manager of self ambition is a good thing for me because I can't see what motivation Warne has now - he's safe BUT he's satisfied whereas an ambitious manager ( like EVO even ) is selfish and makes demands from all concerned that provides the edge we need. He was proud of the boys win - lose or draw. Amateur teams get a *******ing for a reason. "You did your best" is no motivation to a pro player.

    Not attracting Premiership youth a problem too.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    WOW! jUST WOW!

    Have you lot heard yourselves?

    Why cant you just believe the chairman and that what he says is the truth of the matter? I totally believe that we were let down by the recruitment people and that the chairman was bamboozled by the tech guy with his fancy software etc.

    I feel for Warny even with all his faults but he is learning how to be a manager and everything that comes with it. For me Warny is the way forward for the club and has the potential to become a good manager. Yes he made mistakes but who here does not make mistakes! The trick is to learn from them.

    The club is in a new era where wages and price tags are out of control and value for money has to be taken into account.

    From where I'm sitting the club is in good hands and I am excited about the future.

    UTM!

    Thereís a lot of truth in what you say but whilst most fans want to believe what the chairman says his track record for getting signings over the line has been different in the Warne era than it was during Evans as manager.

    Is it down to the difference in ďaggressivenessĒ between Warne and Evans?

    Anyway itís history now, letís see what fish we can land under the new recruitment regime.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    What a ridiculous statement to make itís down to the chairman??
    What evidence and not opinion or rumours do you have that it was 100% down to TS?
    It could well be that paul warne was given money to spend but wouldnt spend it..but whatever the situation, its down to the chairman..

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    As far as I know

    TS is in charge of money

    Trotter scouts players for warne and rob

    PW and rob are in charge of getting players in based on TS money and trotters info

    Douglas sorts contracts and wages.

    Could be wrong but thatís how I think it works

    However with no set budget it leaves Paul warne asking Tony Tony can a get some pocket money
    Not after an argument however still not sure thatís 100% correct.

    Maybe TS gave the money and the player didnít want to come?
    Maybe at the last minute the player then asked for stupid money in wages and we thought it was too much to ask?
    Maybe the club or agents were asking for too much?
    Blackstock anyone ??

    Man City have pulled out of negotiations because of stupid fees wages etc.

    Donít get me wrong Iím not saying TS hasnít played a part in it however to say itís all down to TS imo is unfounded and guess work.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,847
    If TS ever asked my advice on the way forward I would tell him what he probably already knows. Championship football for a club like ours is unsustainable. Even to be competitive in L1 may become increasingly difficult as excessive wage demands and fees are rapidly trickling down inspired in part by short-termist greed of agents. Football seems able to defy economic realities but - at the risk of being proved wrong once again - it can't go on and some external financial shock may see several clubs go to the wall. TS couldn't possibly inject enough money into RUFC to ensure medium term Championship survival so he's doing what he has to do - managing expectations. My hunch is that over the next decade RUFC will establish as a mid-table L1 club with gates of around 7000 and occasional flirtations with both promotion and relegation.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Thereís a lot of truth in what you say but whilst most fans want to believe what the chairman says his track record for getting signings over the line has been different in the Warne era than it was during Evans as manager.

    Is it down to the difference in ďaggressivenessĒ between Warne and Evans?

    Anyway itís history now, letís see what fish we can land under the new recruitment regime.
    This ^^ highlights the point.
    Getting players to sign for the club seemed to be no problem when Steve Evans was manager, in fact it was so easy that several people on here derided the high number of players signed by that manager despite the successes of his era.
    Since then, despite a revamp of the recruitment set up, it now seems to be much more difficult to get players to sign for the club and that failure undoubtedly contributed to the loss of our Championship status which could and should have been avoided.
    TS has been the common denominator throughout both scenarios so what's the underlying problem?

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,847
    mellow, I tried to explain the "underlying problem". TS has simply realised that wages and fees are increasing exponentially and he can no longer p*ss money down the drain. No way could our Championship status have been maintained for more than a season or two.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    What a ridiculous statement to make itís down to the chairman??
    What evidence and not opinion or rumours do you have that it was 100% down to TS?
    in the past we have been in for this player and that player, million pound bids just could not get them over the line, is that because when you pay peanuts you just get monkeys working for you. We could say we have a 300 million bid in for Messi but if you only offer him 5 grand a week he's hardly likely to come. It's bout opinions and mine is its down to the chairman for not pushing for these two players. I've said before bout using the man City Cup money for two good loan players, its money the chairman didn't account for and it could have been the difference between staying up or going down.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19,635
    I was hoping theyíd learnt something season before but no I donít think they did.

    TS has said heís learnt from mistakes in the transfer window, I think they might have and hopefully wonít make that mistake again.
    It will still come down to money though which is quite right, donít feed the greedy

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    Not after an argument however still not sure thatís 100% correct.

    Maybe TS gave the money and the player didnít want to come?
    Maybe at the last minute the player then asked for stupid money in wages and we thought it was too much to ask?
    Maybe the club or agents were asking for too much?
    Blackstock anyone ??

    Man City have pulled out of negotiations because of stupid fees wages etc.

    Donít get me wrong Iím not saying TS hasnít played a part in it however to say itís all down to TS imo is unfounded and guess work.
    I donít think I said that at all I think I just broke down the chain of command

    However by not setting a transfer budget (and he said he doesnít) it leave any manager we have asking for cash rather than getting on with the job.

    Agents players and clubs have a part in it too of course Iím not gonna deny that, but tony needs to set a budget even if itís small

    I defend TS a lot because some people think he does everything himself and is to blame for everything that goes wrong HES NOT, but Iím not gonna lie and say heís perfect.
    Last edited by Silly-miller; 22-05-2019 at 07:50 AM.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,761
    What many will find puzzling is that we had no problem in getting timewasters like Blackstock and Halford "over the line", but we can't get any Premier/Championship reserve player signed, even for just a few weeks until the end of the season. Very strange... and not entirely believable.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 22-05-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •