+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: Tony Stewart has his say on last January

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,220
    Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    mellow, I tried to explain the "underlying problem". TS has simply realised that wages and fees are increasing exponentially and he can no longer p*ss money down the drain. No way could our Championship status have been maintained for more than a season or two.
    That doesn't explain why players didn't want to sign for us in January.
    The "money theory" always gets trotted out but the problem seems to be more fundamental than that.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,933
    The nice guy Warny argument does not sit with me. Not one of us knows what goes on in that changing room before a game after a game or at half time, it's all just guess work from our point of view. We all know what uncle collin is like in a changing room as we have seen it on TV but you very rarely here him pull down his players to the media after a game, he is more like Warny in that respect that he says that he is proud of his players etc that they gave all they had and he couldn't ask for anything more from them.

    Paul will have learnt a lot from good old uncle collin. Lets give Paul the chance to show us what he can do over the next 3 years I know that is what I will want to see from us as supporters.

    The job he trying to do is not one of those jobs where you can pick up everything you need to get the job done from a local builders merchant, it's not that easy I'm afraid.

    UTM!
    Last edited by BigLadonOS; 22-05-2019 at 09:40 AM.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    341
    I do realise our chairman is doing a mainly good job and we would probably be in the brown stuff if it wasn't for him. But I think that most miller's just want honesty.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,847
    BigLad, I always enjoy your contributions and hope we get on well on MM but reading your recent posts I'm concerned that you may have been kidnapped by aliens or something. Is this really the same guy who posted a while back "...we have not learned anything from the last time we were in the Championship!" Of course these sentiments are not mutually exclusive but I did have you down in the past as being a bit more of a critic. Btw, football is a hard master: PW has already had 2 1/2 seasons but now you're suggesting we suspend judgement until he's had another 3!!??

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19,638
    Infrastructure is where money is being spent, getting that sorted is key.

    The pitch at AESSEAL New York Stadium has always been excellent, and whilst the training ground has also been noted for the standards of surface, we have made moves to install some new drainage systems which will vastly improve what was already an impressive area.

    “We made significant investment in facilities back in 2017, and this is the next stage in the development. We are striving for the best, and the latest investment at Roundwood will take it onto the next level. Work is already underway, and when completed we'll have some of the best training pitches, not just in League One, but in The Championship.”

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    34,727
    If we look at what we've said that we fans wanted from our club a few years back we'd have said

    We want a stable finacial footing because of what had happened in the past.

    We want to play in the Championship.

    We want a youth system that developped players so that we could see them play int first team.

    We want to be able to develop the players that we had and sell them on for profit so that we can get better.

    We don't want to be lied to.

    We ant the pork pie and orange sausage roll back.

    We want a good run out song

    The list goes on depending who writes it but the fundemental things that make a football club are there to be seen. We have had 2 people who work at the club get gongs for work they have done for the community.

    We are in a good place and to stay there we need to get better. Before you can get better you need to identify what is wrong and that has been done and it keeps on being done and we are getting better!

    Paul Davis has done his job by interviewing TS and TS has answered the questions. Jees it wasn't so long ago that TS was banning certain local newspapers from the stadium.

    If we don't like what he's said then it's tough titty we don't get a choice other that buying a ticket or not buying a ticket.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    448
    It's not our call "The BOSS" has changed his business plan and decided that organic growth is the best way ( it is ) and Paul will get his chance to fail.

    Forgetting that Paul has had more chances than any cat has lives already the theory is sound. Alas the only problem is that the root stock must be capable of achieving the growth required.

    Is it ?

    To achieve in the championship we need men with an edge - a winner - will someone like that pass the PW tests. If not we are in essence limited.

    I watched a programme about racehorses this week and the head trainer was preparing his prise possession - a winner - and the trainer said the the horse knew he was good - even a bit arrogant....even horses - so such as Dom Ball who was undoubtedly talented ( Spurs thought so ) at least good enough to become something better via a good coach. He soon lost interest in being a Rotherham player. He wanted out when a good coach left - the bad apple is bull - he just thought he was a thoroughbred. And we need them.

    They still need a firm hand and to be pushed to achieve their best BUT to freeze thoroughbreds out instead of coaching them leaves us with the likes of Yates.....and I know which one I'd choose - but only my opinion.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,847
    Frog, I'm clearly missing something. Firstly the media aspect is at least debatable and my own view is the relationship is rather too cosy . If TS has "answered the questions" I've missed it because anumber of questions haven't even been asked imo. And how on earth do you conclude that the club has identified what is wrong and put it right and continues to put things right? What did we do wrong and what are we now doing differently?

  9. #49
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    34,727
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndEarly View Post
    It's not our call "The BOSS" has changed his business plan and decided that organic growth is the best way ( it is ) and Paul will get his chance to fail.

    Forgetting that Paul has had more chances than any cat has lives already the theory is sound. Alas the only problem is that the root stock must be capable of achieving the growth required.

    Is it ?

    To achieve in the championship we need men with an edge - a winner - will someone like that pass the PW tests. If not we are in essence limited.

    I watched a programme about racehorses this week and the head trainer was preparing his prise possession - a winner - and the trainer said the the horse knew he was good - even a bit arrogant....even horses - so such as Dom Ball who was undoubtedly talented ( Spurs thought so ) at least good enough to become something better via a good coach. He soon lost interest in being a Rotherham player. He wanted out when a good coach left - the bad apple is bull - he just thought he was a thoroughbred. And we need them.

    They still need a firm hand and to be pushed to achieve their best BUT to freeze thoroughbreds out instead of coaching them leaves us with the likes of Yates.....and I know which one I'd choose - but only my opinion.
    Every manager fails at some point and your obsession of wanting Warne out will one day come true.

    People can be nice family men and have an edge. Our problem has been that the players we've had just weren't good enough. The price of the players determine who we can buy surely. If we don't have the money to pay for a player then the club can't have that player.

    Are you saying you want organic growth which will be at less cost short term to the club or would you prefer TS to spend money that isn't permitted to be spent under the FFP?

    Dom Ball was a player who went out on loan to Peterborough and then was sent back for arguing with the manager because of team selection. Spurs released him because they didn't think he was good enough. They could have sold him but didn't, they just let him go. He's been on the bench at Aberdeen for most of the season and if he'd started a game he'd been subbed. There has been a thread running this season that has highlighted all of our players out on loan.

    I think that what you insinuate about the players not being coachd to preform better is wrong. You could say that Icky, Ajayi, Vaulks, Williams, Wiles, Smith to name a few are better players today than they were a year ago.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    34,727
    Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Frog, I'm clearly missing something. Firstly the media aspect is at least debatable and my own view is the relationship is rather too cosy . If TS has "answered the questions" I've missed it because anumber of questions haven't even been asked imo. And how on earth do you conclude that the club has identified what is wrong and put it right and continues to put things right? What did we do wrong and what are we now doing differently?
    I would agree that it is too cosy and he could and maybe did ask more questions. I think that Paul Davis sees it as a publi relations job sometimes but it does allow him to get close to the club.

    Investement into the youth system that wasn't there and now is and is proucing players.

    Changing the recruitment personel after the last one failed to deliver.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,908
    Whatever he says is open to translation.
    Some people see it one way others see it another.
    Hes in a no win situation.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post
    Whatever he says is open to translation.
    Some people see it one way others see it another.
    Hes in a no win situation.
    Not sure about that Pocket. Without being unkind I think part of the problem is that TS isn't the most articulate person.
    If you compare him with someone like say, Simon Jordan, I think you'd see what I mean.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    I do realise our chairman is doing a mainly good job and we would probably be in the brown stuff if it wasn't for him. But I think that most miller's just want honesty.
    most wouldn't believe it

  14. #54
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,958
    RUFC’s budget, Stadium, Training facilities, belong in L1. There, TS provides a decent base for Warney to compete from and for Millers fans to have some entertaining days
    In the Championship our budget is plainly pants.
    Warney does a good job with the backing there is.
    TS can say whatever he wants to sell STs or for whatever other reason he has for making claims but the fact is he looks unlikely to put more into the club’s finances than he already does.
    RUFC is competitive in L1 at least for the foreseeable but as some have mentioned, more and more money will ultimately be needed to even remain competitive in L1. Perhaps worrying times if that point is ever reached.
    It won’t and can’t change but is it really that bad?
    Just my opinion
    Last edited by PeteWaller; 22-05-2019 at 03:41 PM.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,847
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteWaller View Post
    .
    It won’t and can’t change but is it really that bad?
    Just my opinion
    Your opinion is entirely valid, Peter. As you say it's not bad. It doesn't really matter to me what level we play at. I'd like us to be competitive and my preference is for a progressive, attacking style, particularly at home but I can't see us sustaining Championship football.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,726
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteWaller View Post
    RUFC’s budget, Stadium, Training facilities, belong in L1. There, TS provides a decent base for Warney to compete from and for Millers fans to have some entertaining days
    In the Championship our budget is plainly pants.
    Warney does a good job with the backing there is.
    TS can say whatever he wants to sell STs or for whatever other reason he has for making claims but the fact is he looks unlikely to put more into the club’s finances than he already does.
    RUFC is competitive in L1 at least for the foreseeable but as some have mentioned, more and more money will ultimately be needed to even remain competitive in L1. Perhaps worrying times if that point is ever reached.
    It won’t and can’t change but is it really that bad?
    Just my opinion
    Couldn't agree more Pete. I dare say it would be a pretty boring messageboard if we all agreed (at least we know we're right though )

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,933
    Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    BigLad, I always enjoy your contributions and hope we get on well on MM but reading your recent posts I'm concerned that you may have been kidnapped by aliens or something. Is this really the same guy who posted a while back "...we have not learned anything from the last time we were in the Championship!" Of course these sentiments are not mutually exclusive but I did have you down in the past as being a bit more of a critic. Btw, football is a hard master: PW has already had 2 1/2 seasons but now you're suggesting we suspend judgement until he's had another 3!!??
    Hi wendun.

    You are right of course mate as we did not learn anything of real value from when we were in the Championship last time round BUT! and here is the rub..... TS did at least try to fix some of what went wrong last time. He tried a new way of recruitment. he invested more money in to behind the scenes of the club but it did not work for him or Paul.

    I still think it was more down to Paul's lack of tactical knowledge that we went down rather than the players but he does get a lot right as well and if he can continue learning and understand that what works in league 1 does not work in the Championship I can see him becoming a very good manager for the club. You have to be very lucky indeed for everything to fall into place at the first or even second time of asking. Mistakes will be made but as long as we learn from those mistakes I can see a bright future for all concerned at Rotherham.

    UTM!

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,513
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndEarly View Post
    Overall my worry is that Warne isn't manager enough to improve the "Quality" of player and therefore the squad. Most of Warne's men were pleased to be here - coming from lower leagues to a relatively bigger club. No players from big clubs -
    ( Towell - pleased to get a game ) or players with a confident streak - a big "I AM" player - who could actually score for example. We got triers and that's not good enough.

    This would be OK if we had a Clough senior type guru who could create a team that is better than its constituent parts.

    But the management team can't even drill the team to defend effectively - and coming top of the long ball league is ****e.

    My fear is the Nicely Nicely club will reduce this club to also rans long term.

    A manager of self ambition is a good thing for me because I can't see what motivation Warne has now - he's safe BUT he's satisfied whereas an ambitious manager ( like EVO even ) is selfish and makes demands from all concerned that provides the edge we need. He was proud of the boys win - lose or draw. Amateur teams get a *******ing for a reason. "You did your best" is no motivation to a pro player.

    Not attracting Premiership youth a problem too.
    If you want players from 'big' clubs, try asking the price to buy Carlton Morris.

    The world RUFC is in, we have to find lower league players and develop them.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,513
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    This ^^ highlights the point.
    Getting players to sign for the club seemed to be no problem when Steve Evans was manager, in fact it was so easy that several people on here derided the high number of players signed by that manager despite the successes of his era.
    Since then, despite a revamp of the recruitment set up, it now seems to be much more difficult to get players to sign for the club and that failure undoubtedly contributed to the loss of our Championship status which could and should have been avoided.
    TS has been the common denominator throughout both scenarios so what's the underlying problem?
    But Evans was signing players EVERY month, some he didn't even play.

    With the transfer windows now, we can't operate like that.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,847
    Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    If you want players from 'big' clubs, try asking the price to buy Carlton Morris.

    The world RUFC is in, we have to find lower league players and develop them.
    Good point, Perigord and I make a similar point on the CM thread. Not quite sure what EAE's fear about RUFC becoming "also rans long term." I'm happy to give PW another season and let's see how his approach pans out in the context of a more realistic challenge in L1. He may do very well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •