+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tony Stewart has his say on last January

Whatever he says is open to translation.
    Some people see it one way others see it another.
    He’s in a no win situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post
    Whatever he says is open to translation.
    Some people see it one way others see it another.
    He’s in a no win situation.
    Not sure about that Pocket. Without being unkind I think part of the problem is that TS isn't the most articulate person.
    If you compare him with someone like say, Simon Jordan, I think you'd see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    I do realise our chairman is doing a mainly good job and we would probably be in the brown stuff if it wasn't for him. But I think that most miller's just want honesty.
    most wouldn't believe it

RUFC’s budget, Stadium, Training facilities, belong in L1. There, TS provides a decent base for Warney to compete from and for Millers fans to have some entertaining days
    In the Championship our budget is plainly pants.
    Warney does a good job with the backing there is.
    TS can say whatever he wants to sell STs or for whatever other reason he has for making claims but the fact is he looks unlikely to put more into the club’s finances than he already does.
    RUFC is competitive in L1 at least for the foreseeable but as some have mentioned, more and more money will ultimately be needed to even remain competitive in L1. Perhaps worrying times if that point is ever reached.
    It won’t and can’t change but is it really that bad?
    Just my opinion
    Last edited by PeteWaller; 22-05-2019 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWaller View Post
    Just my opinion
    Your opinion is entirely valid, Peter. As you say it's not bad. It doesn't really matter to me what level we play at. I'd like us to be competitive and my preference is for a progressive, attacking style, particularly at home but I can't see us sustaining Championship football.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWaller View Post
    RUFC’s budget, Stadium, Training facilities, belong in L1. There, TS provides a decent base for Warney to compete from and for Millers fans to have some entertaining days
    In the Championship our budget is plainly pants.
    Warney does a good job with the backing there is.
    TS can say whatever he wants to sell STs or for whatever other reason he has for making claims but the fact is he looks unlikely to put more into the club’s finances than he already does.
    RUFC is competitive in L1 at least for the foreseeable but as some have mentioned, more and more money will ultimately be needed to even remain competitive in L1. Perhaps worrying times if that point is ever reached.
    Just my opinion
    Couldn't agree more Pete. I dare say it would be a pretty boring messageboard if we all agreed (at least we know we're right though )

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    BigLad, I always enjoy your contributions and hope we get on well on MM but reading your recent posts I'm concerned that you may have been kidnapped by aliens or something. Is this really the same guy who posted a while back "...we have not learned anything from the last time we were in the Championship!" Of course these sentiments are not mutually exclusive but I did have you down in the past as being a bit more of a critic. Btw, football is a hard master: PW has already had 2 1/2 seasons but now you're suggesting we suspend judgement until he's had another 3!!??
    Hi wendun.

You are right of course mate as we did not learn anything of real value from when we were in the Championship last time round BUT! and here is the rub..... TS did at least try to fix some of what went wrong last time. He tried a new way of recruitment. he invested more money in to behind the scenes of the club but it did not work for him or Paul.

I still think it was more down to Paul's lack of tactical knowledge that we went down rather than the players but he does get a lot right as well and if he can continue learning and understand that what works in league 1 does not work in the Championship I can see him becoming a very good manager for the club. You have to be very lucky indeed for everything to fall into place at the first or even second time of asking. Mistakes will be made but as long as we learn from those mistakes I can see a bright future for all concerned at Rotherham.

UTM!

Quote Originally Posted by EasyAndEarly View Post
    Overall my worry is that Warne isn't manager enough to improve the "Quality" of player and therefore the squad. Most of Warne's men were pleased to be here - coming from lower leagues to a relatively bigger club. No players from big clubs -
    ( Towell - pleased to get a game ) or players with a confident streak - a big "I AM" player - who could actually score for example. We got triers and that's not good enough.

This would be OK if we had a Clough senior type guru who could create a team that is better than its constituent parts.

But the management team can't even drill the team to defend effectively - and coming top of the long ball league is ****e.

My fear is the Nicely Nicely club will reduce this club to also rans long term.

A manager of self ambition is a good thing for me because I can't see what motivation Warne has now - he's safe BUT he's satisfied whereas an ambitious manager ( like EVO even ) is selfish and makes demands from all concerned that provides the edge we need. He was proud of the boys win - lose or draw. Amateur teams get a *******ing for a reason. "You did your best" is no motivation to a pro player.

Not attracting Premiership youth a problem too.
    If you want players from 'big' clubs, try asking the price to buy Carlton Morris.

The world RUFC is in, we have to find lower league players and develop them.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    This ^^ highlights the point.
    Getting players to sign for the club seemed to be no problem when Steve Evans was manager, in fact it was so easy that several people on here derided the high number of players signed by that manager despite the successes of his era.
    Since then, despite a revamp of the recruitment set up, it now seems to be much more difficult to get players to sign for the club and that failure undoubtedly contributed to the loss of our Championship status which could and should have been avoided.
    TS has been the common denominator throughout both scenarios so what's the underlying problem?
    But Evans was signing players EVERY month, some he didn't even play.

With the transfer windows now, we can't operate like that.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    If you want players from 'big' clubs, try asking the price to buy Carlton Morris.

The world RUFC is in, we have to find lower league players and develop them.
    Good point, Perigord and I make a similar point on the CM thread. Not quite sure what EAE's fear about RUFC becoming "also rans long term." I'm happy to give PW another season and let's see how his approach pans out in the context of a more realistic challenge in L1. He may do very well.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456