+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New rules for next season

New rules for next season

https://tinyurl.com/y5vnbl2c

What do we think?

Certainly the free kick and penalties ones seem designed to give the benefit to the attacking team, which is no bad thing? Mind, with VAR, you'll probably not be able to celebrate a penalty save too wildly as I'd imagine most of the ones you see would be retaken under the new rules.

Not particularly keen on the yellow then red card for managers, mind. Seeing a manager totally lose their shit on the sidelines all adds to the drama, imo.

I think we'll see more penalties harshly given for handball, too and I think players will deliberately target (or at least try to) players hands/arms and then you'll have the dunces who pass as pundits saying 'ah, he's been clever there'...or 'he's given the referee a decision to make there'...

The sub thing is good but I wish they'd do something about the cheats who go down when they're not injured to either waste time or break up play. Maybe make them wait on the sidelines for a certain amount of time if they have to go off....ok, ok, I know that wouldn't work as it would penalise a genuinely injured player twice...I'm really just thinking out loud. Dunno...certainly as far as the 'timewasting' aspect is concerned, maybe stopping the clock if the physio comes on?

The yellow for taking your shirt off for a goal celebration is absolutely ridiculous and always has been.

Anyway...thoughts?

I think the free kick rule alteration makes sense where the attackers have to stand away from a three or more man wall.

A few times last season our defenders have been dragged down when they had a fair chance of getting to the ball and a goal has resulted and i can't recall it happening to our advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    i can't recall it happening to our advantage.
    It was ever thus...

I suppose we just have to get on with it and let the ref's do what the ref's do best, depending on which teams they want to aid best.
    Having said that, I think the yellow card for the shirt off is spot on.
    I don't see any reason why a player needs to take off his top and I especially don't understand why players still do it when they know they get a yellow, which could possibly see them getting a red with a silly foul or whatever, further in the game.

I'd fine my players if they took off their tops. I'd make it as clear as day that they do not do it and give the ref the opportunity of leaving them walking a tightrope.

I'll tell you what should be brought in.
    No substitutions after 90 minutes. If a sub isn't on the pitch in a swap within the 90 minutes then the sub is forfeited, regardless of whether the player going off is injured.

Also I think a player trying to con the ref by simulation or whatever should receive a half yellow and half red card.(These will need to be made ).
    One of these should be shown in the event of simulation, etc which means the ref yellow cards the offender in the game which allows him to play on but the red bans that player from the next game.

This would go a long way in cutting out this type of cheating.

As for handball, I think all players should have to have both arms amputated just to be sure.
    They earn enough in the game to warrant them accepting that triviality.

I think the free kick rule change favours the defending team and IMO is to stop attacking players standing in the wall or stopping the wall from setting up where the keeper wants it to. Good change I think.

I like the one where the substituted player has to leave the pitch by the shortest route so we don't have to watch players walk (slowly) the width of the pitch with the minutes ticking away at the end of the game. Pure sportsmanship and highly tedious to watch for the neutral and supporters of the team that need another goal.

I don't like the new hand ball even if it's not deliberate rule.Sometimes you can't get out of the way if the ball is struck close to you.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    I think the free kick rule change favours the defending team and IMO is to stop attacking players standing in the wall or stopping the wall from setting up where the keeper wants it to. Good change I think.

I like the one where the substituted player has to leave the pitch by the shortest route so we don't have to watch players walk (slowly) the width of the pitch with the minutes ticking away at the end of the game. Pure sportsmanship and highly tedious to watch for the neutral and supporters of the team that need another goal.
    Agree on both of these points, was what i thought as well.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)