+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marc Bircham...

Marc Bircham...

I’ve nothing against his (supposed) appointment as one to assist Neal Ardley in finding new talent.....but do we really believe this narrative?

Marc has spent the last decade or so getting UEFA PRO coaching badges and holding assistant manager positions, I’m, for want of a better word, sceptical as to his real reasons for (supposedly) joining Notts.

It seems like a ready made appointment for someone’s first managerial role if he were to become our manager. I wonder how Neal Ardley would, deep down, feel about such a vague appointment to work alongside him....though I guess football managers aren’t blind to what such appointments really mean.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    I’ve nothing against his (supposed) appointment as one to assist Neal Ardley in finding new talent.....but do we really believe this narrative?

Marc has spent the last decade or so getting UEFA PRO coaching badges and holding assistant manager positions, I’m, for want of a better word, sceptical as to his real reasons for (supposedly) joining Notts.

It seems like a ready made appointment for someone’s first managerial role if he were to become our manager. I wonder how Neal Ardley would, deep down, feel about such a vague appointment to work alongside him....though I guess football managers aren’t blind to what such appointments really mean.
    Do we know whether or not NA might actually have selected him for the role, if indeed there's any truth to the story at all?

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Do we know whether or not NA might actually have selected him for the role, if indeed there's any truth to the story at all?
    No, not at all....would be nice if Neal had been given the choice to bring someone in though.

In all honesty. I'm not too worried about Ardley's future. If he gets a period of time to prove himself, it's more than he's earned or deserves. Praps Bircham may well be there to keep an eye on him, ready and waiting, in the background like a coiled spring. Spare the Bircham..............
    Last edited by countygump; 22-05-2019 at 05:03 PM.

No, not at all....would be nice if Neal had been given the choice to bring someone in though.
    Why? That appointment is a club decision not a managers decision. Do you think Maurizio Sarri is upset that Petr Cech is apparently going to be Chelsea's new sporting director? It's a position above Ardley's head so it shouldn't really matter what he thinks really, like when Paul Hart was here I would imagine it's a role that is meant to be continuos regardless of who is the manager to bring some stability and reinforce an overall club strategy/philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    It's a position above Ardley's head so it shouldn't really matter what he thinks really,
    I'd be very surprised if Talent Scout was considered to rank above First Team Manager

Would a Non-league side actually need an assistant Manager?

The assistant manager would be Neil Cox. I'd imagine Bircham's role would be a mix of recruitment and maybe taking over Chettle's role of overseeing the development players?

From the description in the NEP it's more like a chief scout roll and not based at ML.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Why? That appointment is a club decision not a managers decision. Do you think Maurizio Sarri is upset that Petr Cech is apparently going to be Chelsea's new sporting director? It's a position above Ardley's head so it shouldn't really matter what he thinks really, like when Paul Hart was here I would imagine it's a role that is meant to be continuos regardless of who is the manager to bring some stability and reinforce an overall club strategy/philosophy
    I was coming from more of a stance that it would illustrate the new board are willing to give Neal Ardley the time and resources to turn Notts around instead of going for a new manager.

It may be an unpopular decision to stick with him, but I do feel in this instance it is the right one. There is a good manager in there somewhere and next season, especially with the lift the take over will bring, I expect a decent to strong season rebuilding and a push for a return to the football league the following year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast