+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The EU strikes again.

The EU strikes again.

British Steel in admin, thousands of British jobs at risk, and what tipped them over the edge ? Well I waited last night for some explanation on BBC news of the reason, but I waited in vain, there were only vague mutterings about Brexit. Of the real reason the plug was pulled, the £120 million payment to the EU Emissions Trading Scheme, which the government has lent them, and they have no hope of repaying, mention was there none. But why could not the government not just give them the money, why indeed could the government not bail them out, why not indeed just nationalise them ? Ah, said the government spokesman, we have done what we can within the law. No one asked which law he was referring to, maybe because the answer would have been, it is EU law that prevents us helping out British Steel and saving those jobs. But they don't want you to know that, if we had left the EU as we should have, those jobs could be saved, but we haven't, so let's just hope there are plenty of food banks over Scunny way. It's quite ironic isn't it, Remainers tell you we need to stay in the EU to protect jobs, tell the British Steel workers that when they ask for government help, and EU law prevents them from lifting a finger.

Thank you EU, thank you M. Barnier, thank you M. Juncker, thank you very much.
    Last edited by sinkov; 23-05-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Morning Sinkov.

Funnily enough, I have just responded to Army on the milkshake thread.

Here it is...

Army, our Government could certainly help out here if it wished. It could nationalise some , or all of the company (like it did with RBS in the financial crisis). This is private company that is in trouble. Same as Jamie Oliver's eating houses or Bolton Wanderers.

If we left the EU there would be very similar rules about state intervention in place from the World Trade Organisation.

But yes, the Government COULD bale out the companies owners (Greybull) if it so wished.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48365241

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    British Steel in admin, thousands of British jobs at risk, and what tipped them over the edge ? Well I waited last night for some explanation on BBC news of the reason, but I waited in vain, there were only vague mutterings about Brexit. Of the real reason the plug was pulled, the £120 million payment to the EU Emissions Trading Scheme, which the government has lent them, and they have no hope of repaying, mention was there none. But why could not the government not just give them the money, why indeed could the government not bail them out, why not indeed just nationalise them ? Ah, said the government spokesman, we have done what we can within the law. No one asked which law he was referring to, maybe because the answer would have been, it is EU law that prevents us helping out British Steel and saving those jobs. But they don't want you to know that, if we had left the EU as we should have, those jobs could be saved, but we haven't, so let's just hope there are plenty of food banks over Scunny way. It's quite ironic isn't it, Remainers tell you we need to stay in the EU to protect jobs, tell the British Steel workers that when they ask for government help, and EU law prevents them from lifting a finger.

I actually came on here to see what your thoughts were on Dawson, but now I'm here I might as well stick my oar in....

There are two main reasons British steel have gone under...
    1. Falling orders on European orders and the weak pound increasing raw materials - all linked to Brexit uncertainty
    2. Trump increasing tariffs on steel imports - just under 10% of their business was to USA before Trump got in

As the poster says below, the UK government could have intervened. They just didn't want to...

The fact that northerners are voting for Brexit, therefore giving more power to the same UK government that has deprived northern towns and cities for decades is baffling....but each to their own.

I fear for the town now... Because the Conservatives don't give two sh1ts about anywhere outside of the South East.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I actually came on here to see what your thoughts were on Dawson, but now I'm here I might as well stick my oar in....

There are two main reasons British steel have gone under...
    1. Falling orders on European orders and the weak pound increasing raw materials - all linked to Brexit uncertainty
    2. Trump increasing tariffs on steel imports - just under 10% of their business was to USA before Trump got in

As the poster says below, the UK government could have intervened. They just didn't want to...

The fact that northerners are voting for Brexit, therefore giving more power to the same UK government that has deprived northern towns and cities for decades is baffling....but each to their own.

I fear for the town now... Because the Conservatives don't give two sh1ts about anywhere outside of the South East.
    Pretty much agree with you Baggy, regarding Dawson keep him!

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post

You pretty much beat me to the drop with this one sinkov. Frankly I cannot see any other way to see this. If we had left on the 29th March, British Steel could have had a cash injection, regrouped, talked some sense into Trump and got on with the job. Why can't the EU shore it up for a while? Answers on a postcard please?

BT - how can you possibly agree with both Sinkov and WBA?

The Government could act and bale out Graybull. They could also act and save Jamie Oliver. Or Bolton Wanderers.

Like I say, they baled our RBS etc.

WBA, unless we lose Tarkowski or Mee then centre half is not a priority for us. We have Gibson and Long as back up.

It sounds like the Baggies are in a financial mess and need to reduce the wage bill considerably.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Dawson or J Rod if I were Sean Dyche.

But I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

The Government could act and bale out Graybull. They could also act and save Jamie Oliver. Or Bolton Wanderers.

WBA, unless we lose Tarkowski or Mee then centre half is not a priority for us. We have Gibson and Long as back up.

It sounds like the Baggies are in a financial mess and need to reduce the wage bill considerably.

But I'm not.
    The Baggy is welcome on here anytime 1959_60, he makes a lot more sense than you ever do!

.....writing was on the wall (street) from the day the Graybull Trust took it from Tata for a quid in 2016 - rape and run !

I'm in total agreement with him BT!

It's you who seem to be blaming the EU for their demise!

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

But I'm not.
    The difference with RBS being there was a personal gain for the government with that nationalisation scam.
    Whereas the steel workers simply aren’t important.

I have a friend who works the stock exchange and when it all blew up last time the RBS farce as well , basically he said the they absolute s—t themselves thinking it’s their fault and they cocked everything up.
    However by tea time he says they were drinking champagne and thanking the government for the best bail out ever.
    Like he says when would that ever happen in any other job anywhere ?
    You’re right IT wouldn’t .
    Jobs for the boys springs to mind.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)