+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max Clayton

Max Clayton

I hear he is without a club, I do hope he is not considering showing his face around these parts again after the way he treated the club.

The way the previous manager treated him (and a few other young players) he can hardly be blamed for wanting away. After the Wembley matches he was barely played, seldom in his best position and didn’t get a run of matches.

I think Clayton would certainly improve the squad. Would not want Inman back, but Guthrie might be a useful signing now Walsall have let him go..

Very little chance Clayton would be fit sadly for him - and he did play a lot apart from his incessant injuries before he left. Didn't know Guthrie was released - he was a good defender for us, but is there any point looking back?

Do we actually need someone in Guthrie's position? Clayton,, I don't know. He was never played in the right way. Mind you, Davies seems not to have been much of a man-manager either. Plus I'm not sure he would want to come back anyway.

For me Guthrie was a member of the calamitous defensive unit of Davies, Ray and Guthrie and thank god we have finally got rid of the last one of that trio. I for one would not like to see Guthrie back In a Crewe shirt a backward step imo. As for Max Clayton no thanks I think his best days have well gone, Bradden Inman was just so inconsistent, unplayable on his day with pace to burn but used to show that far to infrequently.

I think Crewe have a fairly decent squad and with a few shrewd additions (2 or 3) in certain positions a play off push should be possible, although I am hearing that both NG and Kirk are both on their way !! NG to the championship and Kirk to a league 1 club, sadly very little of the income generated by these sales will go back into the first team.

I imagine all ties between the club and Max would have been severed when he left under a cloud. I think its clear SD had man-management issues, it shows when you look at contract renewals...would Jones, Kirk and Ainley have signed those long deals last year under Davis?

I don't really agree with Wartman's sentiment that Guthrie was part of a poor defence so therefore must be a poor player. In fact I remember him being one of our most consistent players in a similar vain to Eddie Nolan now. We conceded 75 goals last year with the same defenders as this year where we conceded 59. This improvement has clearly come about through improved defensive organisation/coaching and a change of mentality rather than personnel-based. I think he'd be a decent re-signing, better than what we've got now and he's a left-footer and as far as I'm aware Hunt, Nolan and Sass-Davies are all right-footed so that would improve the balance back there. He's also 6' 4" and we could do with some experienced height back there now Ray has left (don't think Sass-Davies is quite there yet but I'm sure he'll come more into the fold next season). If not maybe Donervon Daniels or Nathaniel Knight-Percival (released from Blackpool and Bradford respectively) might fit the bill but are not as tall.

Perry and Kirky will probably go and rightly so for how good they both were, they certainly look above L2 level. It will also bring some much needed funds into the club and hopefully boost the budget a wee bit as it has already had to be reduced from last season. Owen Dale looked pretty good, not a ready-made replacement but certainly plenty of potential to be and Luke Offord or Travis Johnson are both promising options at RB although I would like to see us sign Corey Whelan who has been released from Liverpool and have those 3 vying for that position (Offord also able to play CB and LB ).

Oops, that was slightly long winded but hopefully some talking points there. Besides, I need an outlet for my Crewe obsession...I'm afraid there's only so much my old man can put up with!

Quote Originally Posted by luke_358 View Post
    I imagine all ties between the club and Max would have been severed when he left under a cloud. I think its clear SD had man-management issues, it shows when you look at contract renewals...would Jones, Kirk and Ainley have signed those long deals last year under Davis?

I don't really agree with Wartman's sentiment that Guthrie was part of a poor defence so therefore must be a poor player. In fact I remember him being one of our most consistent players in a similar vain to Eddie Nolan now. We conceded 75 goals last year with the same defenders as this year where we conceded 59. This improvement has clearly come about through improved defensive organisation/coaching and a change of mentality rather than personnel-based. I think he'd be a decent re-signing, better than what we've got now and he's a left-footer and as far as I'm aware Hunt, Nolan and Sass-Davies are all right-footed so that would improve the balance back there. He's also 6' 4" and we could do with some experienced height back there now Ray has left (don't think Sass-Davies is quite there yet but I'm sure he'll come more into the fold next season). If not maybe Donervon Daniels or Nathaniel Knight-Percival (released from Blackpool and Bradford respectively) might fit the bill but are not as tall.

Perry and Kirky will probably go and rightly so for how good they both were, they certainly look above L2 level. It will also bring some much needed funds into the club and hopefully boost the budget a wee bit as it has already had to be reduced from last season. Owen Dale looked pretty good, not a ready-made replacement but certainly plenty of potential to be and Luke Offord or Travis Johnson are both promising options at RB although I would like to see us sign Corey Whelan who has been released from Liverpool and have those 3 vying for that position (Offord also able to play CB and LB ).

Oops, that was slightly long winded but hopefully some talking points there. Besides, I need an outlet for my Crewe obsession...I'm afraid there's only so much my old man can put up with!
    I agree with everything you say about Guthrie (who could also pass the football more accurately than most L2 CBs) and Davis’ lack of empathy with younger players - by all accounts even with his own son! I would have Max back, under our terms and maybe a 6 month deal to prove himself if nobody else will take the plunge. They are the only ex-players released this summer I’d have back - wouldn’t touch Inman or Waters with yours and we can’t afford (or need) Cooke. We need CB, possibly a RB and a striker.

I think Perry is Championship standard already, but reckon Kirk could use another season with us or he might end up like Cooper - warming the bench and not developing. But good luck to the pair of them whatever happens.

In view of the speculation about Charlie and Perry, a ybody any ideas about where they might be going???

In view of the speculation about Charlie and Perry, anybody any ideas about where they might be going???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast