+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Max Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    I agree with everything you say about Guthrie (who could also pass the football more accurately than most L2 CBs) and Davis’ lack of empathy with younger players - by all accounts even with his own son! I would have Max back, under our terms and maybe a 6 month deal to prove himself if nobody else will take the plunge. They are the only ex-players released this summer I’d have back - wouldn’t touch Inman or Waters with yours and we can’t afford (or need) Cooke. We need CB, possibly a RB and a striker.

I think Perry is Championship standard already, but reckon Kirk could use another season with us or he might end up like Cooper - warming the bench and not developing. But good luck to the pair of them whatever happens.

Yeah Cooke would be expensive but I reckon Garratt or Ray would have been on similar to the wage he would command. Much better than Inman for sure. I would go in for him if Kirk leaves as we'd need to replace his goals and assists and I think he'd be very effective at LW as an inside forward cutting in onto his stronger foot.

I have to admit I was pretty gutted when Waters was let go by Davis. He scored 3 and assisted 1 in 18 games which is a decent return for a player trying to establish themselves. Looking at how he has fared since leaving he didn't set the world alight in L1, far from it (19 games, no goals or assists) but he has a decent goalscoring record in L2. He seems to have found his level so I wouldn't have him back.

gazan - I've not seen/heard any concrete rumours, Championship-wise I heard Wigan are interested in Perry, also seen him linked with Portsmouth although that was one of those "5 right-backs Pompey could sign if so-and-so leaves" articles so I wouldn't read too much into that. Wigan would be a decent move for him. Not seen anything for Kirk but with 11 goals and 7 assists in 42 league games I'm sure he'll be on a few L1 team's radars.

I agree with everything you say about Guthrie (who could also pass the football more accurately than most L2 CBs) and Davis’ lack of empathy with younger players - by all accounts even with his own son! I would have Max back, under our terms and maybe a 6 month deal to prove himself if nobody else will take the plunge. They are the only ex-players released this summer I’d have back - wouldn’t touch Inman or Waters with yours and we can’t afford (or need) Cooke. We need CB, possibly a RB and a striker.

I think Perry is Championship standard already, but reckon Kirk could use another season with us or he might end up like Cooper - warming the bench and not developing. But good luck to the pair of them whatever happens.

Yeah Cooke would be expensive but I reckon Garratt or Ray would have been on similar to the wage he would command. Much better than Inman for sure. I would go in for him if Kirk leaves as we'd need to replace his goals and assists and I think he'd be very effective at LW as an inside forward cutting in onto his stronger foot.

I have to admit I was pretty gutted when Waters was let go by Davis. He scored 3 and assisted 1 in 18 games which is a decent return for a player trying to establish themselves. Looking at how he has fared since leaving he didn't set the world alight in L1, far from it (19 games, no goals or assists) but he has a decent goalscoring record in L2. He seems to have found his level so I wouldn't have him back.

gazan - I've not seen/heard any concrete rumours, Championship-wise I heard Wigan are interested in Perry, also seen him linked with Portsmouth although that was one of those "5 right-backs Pompey could sign if so-and-so leaves" articles so I wouldn't read too much into that. Wigan would be a decent move for him. Not seen anything for Kirk but with 11 goals and 7 assists in 42 league games I'm sure he'll be on a few L1 team's radars.

Perry linked to Wigan is the only rumour I've heard. Not heard owt about Kirky but with 11 goals and 7 assists in 42 league games he is bound to be looked at.

I would go in for Cooke if Kirk was to go. I think he'd be very effective at LW cutting in onto his stronger foot.

I remember being pretty gutted when SD let Billy Waters go, he scored 3 and assisted 1 in 18 games. Not setting the world alight by any means but not a bad return for him at that stage. Saying that he didn't do anything in L1 and he has a decent goalscoring record in L2 but not prolific. Wouldn't have him back but wonder what might have been if he'd been kept on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12