+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite old ground/stand

Your favourite old ground/stand

.. that is no longer standing.
    I can't really think of an old ground I've been to that I particularly miss except Millmoor.
    I used to really like the away end at Burnley. The section of terracing on the side, it was huge and a small following could really make some noise.
    Also Blackpool's old away end, a section of the huge open terrace behind the goal. It was a rare privilege to be able to watch a match from that high up when you were used to modest millmoor.
    Old Wembley was also a better atmosphere than new Wembley

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    .. that is no longer standing.
    I can't really think of an old ground I've been to that I particularly miss except Millmoor.
    I used to really like the away end at Burnley. The section of terracing on the side, it was huge and a small following could really make some noise.
    Hazza, I agree with your thoughts on Millmoor. Blades ground was always odd staring out at a dark void during a night match. Thought I might die once at Burnley in that away section: went to watch Burnley against West Ham. Trevor Brooking was playing and WH led 2:0 but Burnley won 3:2. Missed most of the goals ducking down to avoid the rain of bottles. The West Ham fans were absolute w*nkers. Agree with you about Bloomfield Road. Anfield is still standing but I went on the Kop a few times in the early 70s. Very unpleasant and first time I'd seen dozens of guys taking a p*ss on the terraces during the game. Went in the pub after (The Anfield, I think) and couldn't get served for ages as I didn't have a Scouse accent.

Deepdale away end back in early 80’s.

Very steep grass bankings and a few concrete steps. Trying to stand up in rain was bloody hopeless. Recall having to stand up under a corrugated tin shed with the coppers. S.hite ground great atmosphere though...

Got to mention it though still standing. Accy Stanley’s ground. So quaint, so old, so outdoors and even by today’s standard, stood outside getting p.iss wet through.... nowt finer.

Oh, and don’t forget the chippy on the top road.... first class grub. Looking forward to it again....

Burnley came to mind straight away!

I enjoyed the getting off the train straight intot he ground at Hull.

York was always a good day out.

The Blades game was in Sept 1969, a night match in League Cup in which Utd beat Luton 3:0. Only time I ever saw John Tudor, Tony Currie and Alan Woodward live.
    Frog, talking of train stations, I also remember another game at Burnley, with me fleeing through terraced streets to the station pursued by a gang of young Burnley hooligans!

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    The Blades game was in Sept 1969, a night match in League Cup in which Utd beat Luton 3:0. Only time I ever saw John Tudor, Tony Currie and Alan Woodward live.
    Frog, talking of train stations, I also remember another game at Burnley, with me fleeing through terraced streets to the station pursued by a gang of young Burnley hooligans!
    A Burnley fan once bleeted at me whilst I was walking to the ground. Funny how they see us that way yet we don't them

I think I posted on another thread a while back that once Brentford move to a new ground, more than half the venues where I have watched professional football will be closed. Probably a combination of my age and the fact that I've been away for 20 years now!

The three grounds I visited on many occasions and have fond memories of, not because they were particularly spectacular stadia but just because they hold memories for me, are the 3 sided County Ground at Northampton, Barnet's Underhill and Maine Road Manchester.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post

The three grounds I visited on many occasions and have fond memories of, not because they were particularly spectacular stadia but just because they hold memories for me, are the 3 sided County Ground at Northampton, Barnet's Underhill and Maine Road Manchester.
    Your last paragraph is replete with unstated mystery. I keep thinking "Why?" and what memories could they possibly hold for Cam? You are the Jason Bourne of MM sir.

Your last paragraph is replete with unstated mystery. I keep thinking "Why?" and what memories could they possibly hold for Cam? You are the Jason Bourne of MM sir.
    First and last are probably covered here:- http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38234751

Middle one is the only place I've seen an RUFC game with one of my daughters. Took her as a 4 year old just before we crossed the pond. Lifted her over the turnstile and sat in their Family Stand with their players WAGs who spent most of the game looking after her for me (colouring book, Barbie dolls etc) whilst I watched the game. We lost 4-2

We did beat Northampton 4-1 on their ground on Boxing Day 1976, and the pub next to the ground used to brew its own beers. Remember us getting five and later four goals in different games at Underhill, but there were some awful Millers performances there too. Maybe CAM saw those wins too?
    Last edited by mikemiller; 24-05-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast