+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite old ground/stand

Do Halifax still play at the Shay, I remember a cold Tuesday night stood on the hill watching us to a 4-0 victory but can’t even remember the scorers. Going back about 30 years

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolpete View Post
    Do Halifax still play at the Shay?
    Yes, they do. Shared with Halifax rugby league, and owned by the local council. It has been modernised quite a bit in recent times. They had an FA Cup tie live on BBC tv fairly recently.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 24-05-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Given our forthcoming friendlies - anybody been to see the Millers play at the old Park Avenue ground? I've been for the cricket, but not football, and it looked like a mini-Headingly complex or a bit like Feethams. Come to think of it Feethams was quite good. Fairly close to Darlo town centre too.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    A Burnley fan once bleeted at me whilst I was walking to the ground. Funny how they see us that way yet we don't them
    Me and my mates got that coming out of Bolton after a night match (about 1970 I think). Mind you we did all have wellies on and a jar of vaseline each.
    We also got surrounded in a pub before the match and told to f off back to Rotherham. We left

I remember on Match of the Day some camera long shots of the areas around various grounds. When Carlisle Utd. were leading the top division (briefly) they definitely showed sheep grazing fairly near the ground. Also at a couple more - one may have even been Burnley!

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    We did beat Northampton 4-1 on their ground on Boxing Day 1976, and the pub next to the ground used to brew its own beers. Remember us getting five and later four goals in different games at Underhill, but there were some awful Millers performances there too. Maybe CAM saw those wins too?
    Ah yes the old County Ground at Northampton. 3 sided because it was also a cricket ground. That pub was great. They had a game in the tap room which involved wanging a heavy wooden "cheese" at some skittles/pins. Real character

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    Ah yes the old County Ground at Northampton. 3 sided because it was also a cricket ground. That pub was great. They had a game in the tap room which involved wanging a heavy wooden "cheese" at some skittles/pins. Real character
    The County Tavern.

Cheese skittles was just one more life skill that I managed to acquire during my time down there to add to darts, dominoes, cribbage, pool, Space Invaders. It's a great 'sport' for working off some aggression but a bit dangerous after one or two too many.

That pub is still there, and still had real ale the last time that I went (to see cricket), but sadly no longer brews it's own beers. Never had a go on the skittle game, don't think that it is still in there. I've still not been to the "new" football ground yet.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 24-05-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Me and my mates got that coming out of Bolton after a night match (about 1970 I think). Mind you we did all have wellies on and a jar of vaseline each.
    We also got surrounded in a pub before the match and told to f off back to Rotherham. We left
    If you'd have had a snake belt on I'd have been worried

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    If you'd have had a snake belt on I'd have been worried
    Not on that occasion but, if you mean the elasticated belts with the S shaped "snake" buckle - they were obligatory clothing when I was a nipper. I didn't know that they were somehow linked with sheep romancing though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast