+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't be arsed with next season thread...

Im reading a book on Scottish managers by Michael Grant (its bloody good too)

It mentions Fergie being annoyed with the inferiority complex that was rife at the club when he came in and he quickly kiboshed it

Inferiority complex is exactly the state our club and fans are in now.

I'm not saying we are going to go on to win the league, no reason we cant and we have had the chance. What I am saying is I would like to see a club/manager with more belief and ambition and go into games thinking we will win. Something we do not do far too often

At the moment we go again for third. Loser talk

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    I think folk just want to see improvement year on year, which is what you'd expect. The issue I have (which may be the problem others have too) is that there doesn't seem to be a real ambition to improve and a plan or strategy as to how we'll achieve it. It looks from the outside like the club have decided that to improve any further is impossible and we're just content to battle to maintain status quo. You might argue that that isn't the case - but if that's so we need the club to communicate their ambition and strategy a bit clearer to the fans - in the statements that the management make, and in the signings we make.
    I hear what you are saying. But I would actually disagree that it reasonable to expect a year on year improvement for clubs like Aberdeen. I'm afraid constantly losing your best players and expecting them to be replaced by equal or indeed better replacements when our place in the market is what it is is a wee bit unrealistic. There are not many Kenny McLeans available from St Mirren for £200k for example although Ferguson has been a good addition. A lot of it boils down to luck. We were lucky to retain Hayes and McGinn at the peak of their powers. Ask any Hibs supporter whether their team has improved from 2 years ago.
    We do have an overly cautious manager and anticipating Masons standard retort involving McGhee I would be careful for what you wish for . I am hoping for a good season and a decent entertaining team. I certainly would not put down the last season as disastrous however.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Im reading a book on Scottish managers by Michael Grant (its bloody good too)

It mentions Fergie being annoyed with the inferiority complex that was rife at the club when he came in and he quickly kiboshed it

Inferiority complex is exactly the state our club and fans are in now.

I'm not saying we are going to go on to win the league, no reason we cant and we have had the chance. What I am saying is I would like to see a club/manager with more belief and ambition and go into games thinking we will win. Something we do not do far too often

At the moment we go again for third. Loser talk
    I'm afraid Fergie was a bit of a one off. As has already been argued ad nauseam the financial disparities between us Utd and the 2 cheeks was nothing compared to today. Majorly we also didn't have the Bosman ruling then. so apples and oranges I,m afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore trout View Post
    I'm afraid Fergie was a bit of a one off. As has already been argued ad nauseam the financial disparities between us Utd and the 2 cheeks was nothing compared to today. Majorly we also didn't have the Bosman ruling then. so apples and oranges I,m afraid.
    That may well be true but adopting the attitude costs nothing.

I hear what you are saying. But I would actually disagree that it reasonable to expect a year on year improvement for clubs like Aberdeen. I'm afraid constantly losing your best players and expecting them to be replaced by equal or indeed better replacements when our place in the market is what it is is a wee bit unrealistic. There are not many Kenny McLeans available from St Mirren for £200k for example although Ferguson has been a good addition. A lot of it boils down to luck. We were lucky to retain Hayes and McGinn at the peak of their powers. Ask any Hibs supporter whether their team has improved from 2 years ago.
    We do have an overly cautious manager and anticipating Masons standard retort involving McGhee I would be careful for what you wish for . I am hoping for a good season and a decent entertaining team. I certainly would not put down the last season as disastrous however.
    Even if it is not possible to win the league we should still be making the statement we hope to challenge. Its all down to the mental side of things. Total loser attitude.

Just my opinion of course and like yourself probably down to me being brought up with Fergie and a supportive board of directors at the helm of the club.
    I'm not for one minute suggesting we make a return to the glory days but I just don't want the club peddling out defeatist guff.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiesd View Post
    Even if it is not possible to win the league we should still be making the statement we hope to challenge. Its all down to the mental side of things. Total loser attitude.

Just my opinion of course and like yourself probably down to me being brought up with Fergie and a supportive board of directors at the helm of the club.
    I'm not for one minute suggesting we make a return to the glory days but I just don't want the club peddling out defeatist guff.
    Apart from the throwaway remark by Barry Einstein Robson (albeit in truth it was realistic as far as the league is concerned ) I would disagree that the club peddle defeatist guff.

I think it is pretty obvious our Chairman has a total lack of ambition in regards to challenging sevco and septic and how Scottish football should be run, he has made that very clear.

That attitude filters through the whole Club and no amount of excuses hides that.

Apart from the throwaway remark by Barry Einstein Robson (albeit in truth it was realistic as far as the league is concerned ) I would disagree that the club peddle defeatist guff.
    Can you point us in the direction of all the examples of the club talking like winners ?

So a will to win a all we are lacking. Simplistic piffle. You really are reeking of unjustified self entitlement aren't you .
    Can you explain what you mean by "unjustified self entitlement" and where that fits with the club winning trophies? I don't think that I'm entitled to winning a league and a couple of Scottish Cups...

If you mean that I think that the third biggest club in Scotland, and really the second biggest for about five years when Rangers died, is entitled to fare a little bit better than winning two League Cups in 29 years then yes I think we should be winning more than that and we, as supporters, are entitled to believe the club should be doing better than that...

If you actually read what I said rather than respond with your simplistic piffle, then I mention that a driven manager backed by an ambition at boardroom level is key to success. It is no guarantee, managers and boards can be ambitious but reckless, however, we aren't emanating signals that we're serious challengers to anything but 3rd place.

Quote Originally Posted by Basingstokered View Post
    Can you point us in the direction of all the examples of the club talking like winners ?
    Our Chairman talked about Scottish football needing a strong team...unfortunately he wasnt talking about Aberdeen FC.

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast