+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tranmere v Newport.... what a dire game

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Well as I've stated previously on this board , five or six teams will be significantly better than the rest just as it is in the PL .

The bigger questions for Millers is are you good enough to be amongst the top six ? and are you going to be good enough to finish above at least four of them ? .

I take it as read you are better than Tranmere Rovers .
    Cheers animal, I value your opinion, and whilst the div 2 play off final wasn't a great game, nobody can judge one match on how the following season will go.
    We will definitely be one of the favourites to go up, and whilst I fully expect us to be up there, we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    Cheers animal, I value your opinion, and whilst the div 2 play off final wasn't a great game, nobody can judge one match on how the following season will go.
    We will definitely be one of the favourites to go up, and whilst I fully expect us to be up there, we will see.
    I sincerely hope you will be ronners but I feel some fresh new blood would greatly enhance your prospects .

Dangerous thing to say animal. Trannie could make some great signings over the summer and get rid of the fatties.Likewise we could buy a load of fatties/ crocks and be much worse than them next year. The new blood is the key for us as you say and it needs to have some quality.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Dangerous thing to say animal. Trannie could make some great signings over the summer and get rid of the fatties.Likewise we could buy a load of fatties/ crocks and be much worse than them next year. The new blood is the key for us as you say and it needs to have some quality.
    I've seen Tranmere 3 times over the last fortnight in high pressure football and having watched the vast majority of our home games last season I'd have them down to finish lower mid table next season , possibly fighting the drop should Norwood leave and not effectively replaced .

Tranmere have a limited budget with all due respect to them and having just got back on track I don't see them putting that in danger and spending what they clearly won't have within FFP .

A decent budget goes much further at league one level than it does in the championship where more or less everyone has a bob or two , Accrington and Wycombe etc couldn't afford Cauley Woodrow's left leg but practically everyone in the championship could .

A relegation , a promotion and another relegation suggests to me the squad needs a overhaul , players have given as much as they can but there's a danger the intensity could decrease and the stomach for a promotion dog fight may not be there , every player has a shelf life .

Someone will miss out tomorrow at Wembley , personally I want Charlton to win but if I was a Miller then it would be Sunderland , Charlton could easily fall away next season if they fail tomorrow but I suspect Sunderland's fifth place finish this season is possibly their rock bottom and next season they may be difficult to catch .

Just my opinion guys and I could be way off the mark with my assessment .

Charlton have sold over 38,000 tickets so the atmosphere will be bouncing. A good friend of mine is a Charlton fan but he will miss out tomorrow as he will be in the Isle of Man for the TT. I would like them to win as all his family are Addicks.
    I fancied Charlton before the play offs started but I thought they were poor v Doncaster. They still have major off the field issues & I now fancy Sunderland to win this game.
    Last edited by Nardendee; 25-05-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Tranmere - all clubs (well, except one! ) significantly strengthen their squads when they get promoted

Sunderland - John Motson said on the radio yesterday that Maguire is a "match-winner" for them. He obviously never saw him play for us (16 appearances, 0 goals). Did Maguire ever actually play in a Millers team that won a game?!?

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Tranmere - all clubs (well, except one! ) significantly strengthen their squads when they get promoted

Sunderland - John Motson said on the radio yesterday that Maguire is a "match-winner" for them. He obviously never saw him play for us (16 appearances, 0 goals). Did Maguire ever actually play in a Millers team that won a game?!?
    Read the other day that Lincoln City aren't in the greatest financial position and unable to provide the budget the Cowley brothers feel they need to kick on in League One .

Both Lincoln and Tranmere have overcome real tough times to get themselves back in to the football league and kick on but clearly Lincoln are wary of over stretching themselves and you can see the logic in that .

Going to be very competitive at the top of league one next season , Ipswich Town will have a decent enough budget and pull for this level , Peterborough are generally there or there abouts , Coventry if they can solve their issues have a very decent young side , Sunderland will be there again if unsuccessful today and you'd imagine they'd probably kick on next season given the size of the club , pull and budget .

Charlton could be a threat if unsuccessful today but there's a question mark for me and a number of their top talent could well leave , you'd imagine Pompey will challenge again although Lowe and Clarke are set to leave , decent money mind so it depends on how they reinvest .

Donny may kick on if they can keep hold of Marquis however their better players were all loans , Wilkes and Kane and will be back at their parent clubs , under the radar are Burton Albion and Oxford United who both had a very good second half of the season .

Much of a muchness with the rest and it's a case of not dropping too many points to the lesser clubs .

90 points plus for the automatics will be needed , 80 plus will guarantee a play off spot with 6th requiring 75 to 80 I reckon .

Some good business done this sumner and a good start to the new campaign should see the Miller's amongst the top 6 .

Anybody who thinks it will be a cake walk next season is deluded.
    However I expect us at the end of the season to be top 3.
    Why ?
    With the squad with a couple of good additions and there is nothing to fear in League 1.
    The championship is so much harder than league 1.

animallittle3, let's hope all you've posted falls into place for us next season and good luck to your lads and club. Different pace, set up and game in the championship and, unless you too don't invest, you'll also find it hard to compete with a lot of teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    Anybody who thinks it will be a cake walk next season is deluded.
    However I expect us at the end of the season to be top 3.
    Why ?
    With the squad with a couple of good additions and there is nothing to fear in League 1.
    The championship is so much harder than league 1.
    BOTN, I don't expect it to be easy at all as we've yet to see who we're about to lose. Imagine this though if the only top player we lose is Vaulks, then it won't be too bad. Have to say though, 'should' we lose the nucleus of Newell(poor), Taylor (so so), Forde (average),Towell (doesn't do enough) and Williamson, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

The likes of Crookes and Wiles in midfield will be a breath of fresh air and not forgetting our new winger Lamy.

Coupled to that Proctor/Morris up front with Smudge, then I feel we will more than hold our own and make good progress. Exciting times indeed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast