+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tranmere v Newport.... what a dire game

Quote Originally Posted by Back of the net View Post
    Anybody who thinks it will be a cake walk next season is deluded.
    However I expect us at the end of the season to be top 3.
    Why ?
    With the squad with a couple of good additions and there is nothing to fear in League 1.
    The championship is so much harder than league 1.
    You know there were times last season at Oakwell when the opposition missed some absolute gifts in front of goal and I always thought we won't be getting away with that in the championship , Shrewsbury had four one on ones in the second half in the crucial Good Friday home game and missed the lot , we scraped home 2-1 by the skin of our teeth .

When I say much of a muchness outside the top 6 the home draws against Wimbledon , Walsall and Plymouth cost us the league , they all put 10 men behind the ball and frustrated us to death which is something clubs at Championship level don't do at Oakwell or the NYS , something else to consider and solve at League One level .

Your patience level is tested to the max against some of these clubs because you feel you should be beating them convincingly when you have a recent history of championship football .

Home points dropped feel like defeats in league one , different dynamics going on .

The bar has to be set somewhere for our two clubs and anything outside the top 6 in league one should be unacceptable and heads should roll if it's not achieved .

At least that's my opinion anyway , we may fall short at championship level but League One offers no excuse .

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    BOTN, I don't expect it to be easy at all as we've yet to see who we're about to lose. Imagine this though if the only top player we lose is Vaulks, then it won't be too bad. Have to say though, 'should' we lose the nucleus of Newell(poor), Taylor (so so), Forde (average),Towell (doesn't do enough) and Williamson, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

The likes of Crookes and Wiles in midfield will be a breath of fresh air and not forgetting our new winger Lamy.

Coupled to that Proctor/Morris up front with Smudge, then I feel we will more than hold our own and make good progress. Exciting times indeed.
    Well I enjoyed it Brin , one of the best seasons we've had .

In some respects it's a shame to go up because you know it's going to be hard and you are going to be turned over not to mention unable to compete financially .

I'm only pointing out league one because of our tenure there last season and I'm not daft enough to think you guys don't know what it's like .

You don't tend to take too much notice of league one when you are in the championship as you've enough on your plate with it .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    You know there were times last season at Oakwell when the opposition missed some absolute gifts in front of goal and I always thought we won't be getting away with that in the championship , Shrewsbury had four one on ones in the second half in the crucial Good Friday home game and missed the lot , we scraped home 2-1 by the skin of our teeth .

When I say much of a muchness outside the top 6 the home draws against Wimbledon , Walsall and Plymouth cost us the league , they all put 10 men behind the ball and frustrated us to death which is something clubs at Championship level don't do at Oakwell or the NYS , something else to consider and solve at League One level .

Your patience level is tested to the max against some of these clubs because you feel you should be beating them convincingly when you have a recent history of championship football .

Home points dropped feel like defeats in league one , different dynamics going on .

The bar has to be set somewhere for our two clubs and anything outside the top 6 in league one should be unacceptable and heads should roll if it's not achieved .

At least that's my opinion anyway , we may fall short at championship level but League One offers no excuse .
    You are correct about not getting away with it in the championship.
    Plenty of home games we should have won but ended up drawing or losing.
    The teams take the chances and it cost us.
    Anything less than a real challenge for promotion won’t be good enough next season.

WBA had four chances and put them all away, no messing about.
    We had chances including hitting the woodwork and a penalty and didn't put any away.
    Lost 0-4 at home and that's the standard
    No complaints about the result

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123