+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Five years on...

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Wendun, I sort of knew when to stop goading the Chelsea fans, considering they had one or two drunks in their mob. mind you, I was on my own so they must have took pity on me. My blades mate did suggest though that I shut the f***
    up before they mauled me....
    I was once with the missus in a pub outside Euston Station when suddenly dozens of Chelsea fans came in and we were completely surrounded. They were all swearing and going on about how they'd sorted the Watford fans out. Then a big guy leaned over, apologised for the swearing and said they always got a bit boisterous after a game. We had a pleasant 20 minutes before heading off for our train back north.

Brin, the wonders of the internet. The game was on Saturday 27 September 1980 and Chelsea won away at Watford 3:2. We'd gone down to have a look round the museums and do a bit of shopping.

CT, my good friend, what a captivating way you describe things. That was a total pleasure to read and see how your day started and eventually panned out.

Mine was a total spin to yours. I was in Benidorm of all places, as I had previously booked the holiday several months before as I did not envisage us getting to any Wembley final that season. DOH!

Having being thoroughly miserable the week previous to going, knowing full well we 'were' going to Wembley, I decided to pack my full Rotherham colours and wear them on the day.

I walk in a bar proudly showing my team's attire and get the odd glancing stare. At the time were several Chelsea, Man Utd shirt wearers but only my team colours matters. naturally, as the game commenced and progressed, the Chelsea fans were following the 'southern' club which shouts of joy when they Leyton, bagged their two goals. A few mumours/low whispers of encouragement came from the Man
    Utd fans.

I was not downhearted even at half time as we sat there losing 2-0. My blades mate who had accompanied me to Spain suggested we retire by our poolside at the hotel, as we were never going to come back from being 2-0 down at half time as no team ever had at Wembley. My quote to him. ' You obviously don't know Steve Evans then!' and we stayed.

Bang! first goal scored to Revs. As for the second goal, I kid you not I transformed into a Tasmanian devil, running around the bar like a total lunatic. screaming, shouting, dropping to my knees with clenched fists, rising and running around again. the bar staff were all cheering me on, my Blades mate sat with his mouth open having just witnessed the superb Alex Revell goal.

I shouted across to the Chelsea fans, in my semi drunken state, 'It's all gone quiet over there, yes it's all gone quite over there'....rather a stupid thing to do but they took it all as banter. Cue the penalty shoot out.....when Collin saved that spot kick I went absolutely stark raving bonkers, akin to my last parade where Revs equalised.

My mate's trying to calm me down but, no chance, we had overcome a 2-0 deficit and now WE were going up, 'I say we are going up, we are going up' I screamed out for I don't know how long. Eventually, I got a semi grip of my senses as I attempted to gulp a mouthful of beer down to celebrate!

On my way out I was asked by a Hull City fan, if I was a real Rotherham United supporter! Dressed in all my full kit, including socks, I replied. 'No pal I've just bought it today to support the under dog in the final!' and staggered off with my mate to complete more celebrations by the pool. What a great day, even if I wasn't at Wembley in person to share all the great feeling with the rest of our fans.
    Nice story, but is it true? are you willing to reveal the name of your blades fan mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemiller View Post
    Nice story, but is it true? are you willing to reveal the name of your blades fan mate.
    Archie, Nowt to lie about at all. Yeh no problem they call him Ken Moore. Ironically, I’ve just got back yesterday, from another week in Benidorm with him and he’s still there for another one. 😉

Archie, Nowt to lie about at all. Yeh no problem they call him Ken Moore. Ironically, I’ve just got back yesterday, from another week in Benidorm with him and he’s still there for another one. 😉
    You're surely fibbing now mate. Kenneth Moore died in 1982 (a delayed reaction infection due to having both legs amputated for a film role - that's a serious commitment to his art!)
    Seriously though I went to school (Thrybergh juniors) with a "Kenny" Moore. Would be 67 (ish) now. Unlikely to be the same bloke I suppose?

Here's a useless fact, Kenneth More and myself have the same birthday.

( no Brin not the same year)

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    You're surely fibbing now mate. Kenneth Moore died in 1982 (a delayed reaction infection due to having both legs amputated for a film role - that's a serious commitment to his art!)
    Seriously though I went to school (Thrybergh juniors) with a "Kenny" Moore. Would be 67 (ish) now. Unlikely to be the same bloke I suppose?
    Wrinkly, the very same person Sir! He went to Thrybergh Comp. I'll let him know you've been in touch with me and that you know him.

Omg brin. You just come back from benidorm. Is this the same place you spoke to the unhappy miller's player?
    Geez maybe kempoo was right. TS only pays in peanuts 🥜

Wrinkly, the very same person Sir! He went to Thrybergh Comp. I'll let him know you've been in touch with me and that you know him.
    Wow! small world. He may not remember me as I went to Maltby after junior school but you never know - after all I remembered him.

Archie, Nowt to lie about at all. Yeh no problem they call him Ken Moore. Ironically, I’ve just got back yesterday, from another week in Benidorm with him and he’s still there for another one. ��
    Ken Moore....think thats very unprofessional of you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast