+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Five years on...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Five years on...

This is a piece I wrote for the old Moulin Rouge fanzine but Rouger (the magazine editor) and I didn't connect for some reason and it missed the deadline. Since it's the five year anniversary of 'that' match, I thought I'd celebrate the anniversary by putting it on here. It's says more about following the Millers from afar than it does about the game itself but I hope it gives some pleasure nonetheless.

FROM THE OTHER END OF THE TELESCOPE (RUFC V LEYTON ORIENT - MAY 25 2014)

There were a number of excellent articles in the last edition of Moulin Rouge about ‘that day’ at Wembley – eye-witness accounts and quirky anecdotal stuff at their best – and, although it’s now several months later, I’m afraid I’m going to be guilty of adding to them; I hope, though, from a different perspective. At the risk of beating the “it’s different for expatriate fans” drum too hard and too often, I want to give you my take on the events of May 25th 2014 from several thousand miles away.

How many of you, for example, as part of your preparation for the great day, chose to sleep in the spare room the night before the game? Not many I suspect (unless, as a male of the species, you came home bladdered, exercised poor judgment by trying to give the missus one she wouldn’t forget and promptly found yourself relegated to the farthest reaches of the house.)

My home on the US West Coast is, inconveniently, eight time zones behind the UK – which means that when the whistle blows for Saturday afternoon football to start in dear old Albion, us Californians are usually still lying in our pits, snoring and farting and barely registering the world. It made a lot more sense, therefore, on this play-offs final day at least, to make the 6.30am transition from old-sleeping-geezer to alert-and-ready-fan as painlessly as possible and with the minimum disruption to the rest of the family. Spending the night in a lumpy bed next to an unused Nordic Track exercise machine was a small price to pay.

So, as you were excitedly taking to your seats in the arena, having paid your extravagant parking charges and walked up Wembley Way, I was drowsily pulling on my dressing gown and firing up the lap-top to get things moving. I invariably listen to matches in my lucky, blue toweling dressing gown which I, perhaps mistakenly, believe brings the club success. I’ve been wearing it for a good few years now and we’ve generally done alright so I continue to work on the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” principle.

With the exception of my oldest son, who occasionally surfaces from endlessly watching the New York Yankees to ask how we’re doing, none of my family has the slightest interest in the Millers – not a shred… I sometimes wish I was from one of those tribes where granddad, dad, dad’s brothers, all the kids and even mum take an interest in the goings on at RUFC but sadly it was never to be – and, in any case, there is something slightly noble and self- denying (and, some might argue, a little ‘precious’) about carrying the torch regardless of the apathy around me. I sit in splendid isolation in the back bedroom….in my lucky blue dressing gown…. with my lap-top on my knees….the sun coming up and beginning its swing towards the Pacific. The match commentary plays out to the background noise of lawn sprinklers and Mexican gardeners mowing the grass and trimming palm trees. It’s a solitary passion following the Millers from this side of the world – but there’s no denying it’s a passion.

I fiddle with the various options to get a live video stream working on the computer. It’s always tricky to know which of the little “x”s I need to click out to get a full screen but eventually I have a picture and sound and we’re off to the races. Well, off to the stuttering races since the picture keeps freezing and rushing forward. I have the feeling that I’m watching an editor at work pulling bits out of the footage and then running on quickly to the next scene. It does eventually settle down but I’m initially struggling and have to resort to Millers Player to get a sense of what is going on.

I won’t spend time talking about the game itself since anybody reading this will have relived it a thousand times already and won’t need reminding of what happened. I cheered and I screamed and I sank to the depths. I waited with baited breath and then I cheered and screamed some more – all on my own. Members of the family put their heads round the door as they got up – to see why their normally controlled relative was behaving so oddly. My wife even brought me a sympathy cup of tea at half time when she registered that my resolve was fading with a 0-2 score line.
    Two abiding emotions still stay with me from that day.

I felt the strongest connection with other Rotherham United fans even with five and a half thousand miles separating us. More than 20,000 of you took the plunge in London and the ripples spread all over the world. There I was right out on the perimeter feeling the impact. There were others out on the rim – further up the coast in Seattle, all across Canada, out in Thailand and in Australia and New Zealand – all connected by this common and all-embracing passion. We may have felt like we were looking through the wrong end of a telescope but in our heads we were there and part of the event.

And what an event….When Collin stretched and saved that final penalty, it felt like a switch had been thrown. Suddenly we were a Championship club again (for the third time for me) with all the honour and prestige that went with it. Until that moment it hadn’t seemed that it would ever be a reality and there was even a feeling of intense guilt that Orient should have been in this position – not us. That passed and the sense of amazement returned. We would be playing clubs every week that had a Premiership pedigree and aspirations to return to the top-flight. We would be living in a completely different world – in fact, living the dream

I got up, pulled the lucky blue dressing gown tightly around me and went to dress and shave knowing that for me the world was a better place. Nobody else for probably hundreds of miles around me gave a rats but my team had won and was entering a new era.

Nice one CT. There are at least two of us who have very similar routines and go through very similar emotions despite the non-participation of all around

Good read is that, but whoooosh, where the feck did those 5 years go?

Good read CT - Memories are made of this.

I know exactly where I was the night before in 2014.
    I'd left the family on holiday on the East coast and was heading back home in the car. With a Pink Floyd CD blasting out and my mind set on the following day I got caught speeding on a dual-carriageway in Grimsby, 40mph when I should have been doing 30mph.
    What a day out it was at Wembley and look where Leyton Orient are now !

Very enjoyable read, CT. Here in Lancashire I'm just as isolated from any interest in RUFC; a football equivalent of perpetual solitary confinement.

Ambitious but brilliant read that CT.

The thread the other day asked what a fan was ?
    There it is a true fan.
    100% commitment and passion.
    Once a miller always a miller.

Obviously it wasn't as important a game as that one but when travelling abroad in the past I've found myself in Internet cafes looking at live updates of our games. Usually they are just league games but important nonetheless

I'd be sat there looking at a screen that doesn't appear to change to others in the cafe and I,m not using the keyboard.
    What's he doing ask the others and then there's the outbursts when we score or the final whistle goes
    Owner of the cafe comes over and asks if everything is ok.
    I always feel the need to explain that it's live football from England.
    In some Hispanic countries i,ve received nods of acknowledgment and understanding.

Then they ask who my teams is.....Liverpool, Man Utd?....when I explain a lower div team near the foot if the table they usually have a blank vacant look on their face lol

CT, my good friend, what a captivating way you describe things. That was a total pleasure to read and see how your day started and eventually panned out.

Mine was a total spin to yours. I was in Benidorm of all places, as I had previously booked the holiday several months before as I did not envisage us getting to any Wembley final that season. DOH!

Having being thoroughly miserable the week previous to going, knowing full well we 'were' going to Wembley, I decided to pack my full Rotherham colours and wear them on the day.

I walk in a bar proudly showing my team's attire and get the odd glancing stare. At the time were several Chelsea, Man Utd shirt wearers but only my team colours matters. naturally, as the game commenced and progressed, the Chelsea fans were following the 'southern' club which shouts of joy when they Leyton, bagged their two goals. A few mumours/low whispers of encouragement came from the Man
    Utd fans.

I was not downhearted even at half time as we sat there losing 2-0. My blades mate who had accompanied me to Spain suggested we retire by our poolside at the hotel, as we were never going to come back from being 2-0 down at half time as no team ever had at Wembley. My quote to him. ' You obviously don't know Steve Evans then!' and we stayed.

Bang! first goal scored to Revs. As for the second goal, I kid you not I transformed into a Tasmanian devil, running around the bar like a total lunatic. screaming, shouting, dropping to my knees with clenched fists, rising and running around again. the bar staff were all cheering me on, my Blades mate sat with his mouth open having just witnessed the superb Alex Revell goal.

I shouted across to the Chelsea fans, in my semi drunken state, 'It's all gone quiet over there, yes it's all gone quite over there'....rather a stupid thing to do but they took it all as banter. Cue the penalty shoot out.....when Collin saved that spot kick I went absolutely stark raving bonkers, akin to my last parade where Revs equalised.

My mate's trying to calm me down but, no chance, we had overcome a 2-0 deficit and now WE were going up, 'I say we are going up, we are going up' I screamed out for I don't know how long. Eventually, I got a semi grip of my senses as I attempted to gulp a mouthful of beer down to celebrate!

On my way out I was asked by a Hull City fan, if I was a real Rotherham United supporter! Dressed in all my full kit, including socks, I replied. 'No pal I've just bought it today to support the under dog in the final!' and staggered off with my mate to complete more celebrations by the pool. What a great day, even if I wasn't at Wembley in person to share all the great feeling with the rest of our fans.
    Last edited by Brin; 26-05-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    CT, my good friend, what a captivating way you describe things. That was a total pleasure to read and see how your day started and eventually panned out.

Mine was a total spin to yours. I was in Benidorm of all places, as I had previously booked the holiday several months before as I did not envisage us getting to any Wembley final that season. DOH!

Having being thoroughly miserable the week previous to going, knowing full well we 'were' going to Wembley, I decided to pack my full Rotherham colours and wear them on the day.

I walk in a bar proudly showing my team's attire and get the odd glancing stare. At the time were several Chelsea, Man Utd shirt wearers but only my team colours matters. naturally, as the game commenced and progressed, the Chelsea fans were following the 'southern' club which shouts of joy when they Leyton, bagged their two goals. A few mumours/low whispers of encouragement came from the Man
    Utd fans.

I was not downhearted even at half time as we sat there losing 2-0. My blades mate who had accompanied me to Spain suggested we retire by our poolside at the hotel, as we were never going to come back from being 2-0 down at half time as no team ever had at Wembley. My quote to him. ' You obviously don't know Steve Evans then!' and we stayed.

Bang! first goal scored to Revs. As for the second goal, I kid you not I transformed into a Tasmanian devil, running around the bar like a total lunatic. screaming, shouting, dropping to my knees with clenched fists, rising and running around again. the bar staff were all cheering me on, my Blades mate sat with his mouth open having just witnessed the superb Alex Revell goal.

I shouted across to the Chelsea fans, in my semi drunken state, 'It's all gone quiet over there, yes it's all gone quite over there'....rather a stupid thing to do but they took it all as banter. Cue the penalty shoot out.....when Collin saved that spot kick I went absolutely stark raving bonkers, akin to my last parade where Revs equalised.

My mate's trying to calm me down but, no chance, we had overcome a 2-0 deficit and now WE were going up, 'I say we are going up, we are going up' I screamed out for I don't know how long. Eventually, I got a semi grip of my senses as I attempted to gulp a mouthful of beer down to celebrate!

On my way out I was asked by a Hull City fan, if I was a real Rotherham United supporter! Dressed in all my full kit, including socks, I replied. 'No pal I've just bought it today to support the under dog in the final!' and staggered off with my mate to complete more celebrations by the pool. What a great day, even if I wasn't at Wembley in person to share all the great feeling with the rest of our fans.
    Nice story, but is it true? are you willing to reveal the name of your blades fan mate.

Brin, you are a dangerous man to have as a friend! I was once on a train when my companion, mightily pissed, decided it would be a good idea to start loudly slagging the several dozen equally drunk Glasgow Rangers fans sharing the compartment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast