+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: English Football League: Clubs 'reliant on owners', says EFL chief

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Isn’t the name a fictitious character from the old sci-fi series Blake’s 7?
    This tells you all you need to know
    https://blakes7.fandom.com/wiki/Kerr_Avon

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Stop there a moment, Brin. Isn't it worrying that The 6 year plan was freely available in the Rotherham Advertiser for all to see, but you can't find it? I never saw it and I can't find it either. Are you sure that it isn't an urban myth? And if it is a silly dream, why did some supporters apparently buy into it?

I don’t buy into ‘false promise’. The January recruitment did not meet the expectations that many of us held, but 'false promise' suggests dishonesty. I prefer not to believe that. I think it more likely that the club and its manager and owner were just as frustrated and disappointed as you and me. We'll doubtless see if there is a mass exodus.

Kerr and Kerr – there’s a blast from the past - haven’t seen a copy in years.
    Too busy reading the works of Carlo Collodi

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Too busy reading the works of Carlo Collodi
    I see you have a nose for a scoundrel, Exile. I don't disagree with much of what Kerr says on this point and I never took TS's warblings seriously. However, I still find Kerr a complete pain in the rrse. He's like a trapdoor spider: hides away for months then pounces to spout the same old mantra about investment and speculation. He just so obviously has a self-image as a man of reason and sense and it's simply pomposity. A few more like him and MM would die from boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    I see you have a nose for a scoundrel, Exile. I don't disagree with much of what Kerr says on this point and I never took TS's warblings seriously. However, I still find Kerr a complete pain in the rrse. He's like a trapdoor spider: hides away for months then pounces to spout the same old mantra about investment and speculation. He just so obviously has a self-image as a man of reason and sense and it's simply pomposity. A few more like him and MM would die from boredom.
    We are in accord Wendun
    Btw you can say arse

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    We are in accord Wendun
    Btw you can say arse
    I learn something new every day on here!

I learn something new every day on here!
    Wonderful thing is education

I love you too, wendun. You are right that the same arguments are periodically repeated on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Kerr, Iv'e found you this for starters will this suffice for now? I know there's more so will dig further at your request...

'Rotherham chairman Tony Stewart: 'Reaching Premier League remains our target'
    By Daniel Lewis, Senior Reporter | 4y
    Rotherham United chairman Tony Stewart has targeted a place in the Premier League in the near future, less than 24 hours after seeing his side secure their spot in the Championship.

The Millers beat Reading 2-1 at the New York Stadium to condemn Millwall and Wigan Athletic to League One football next season.

Having avoided the drop, Stewart admits that preparations are already in full swing ahead of next season.

"This season has been a learning curve, we can take all that on board and it'll be managed so we can progress," he told Sky Sports News.

"The ambition is always to get into the Premier League and we, like 24 other clubs, will be trying to get to the top – automatic and into the playoffs and that's what will happen next season.
    What are you taking from that quotation, Brin? Stewart was stating the obvious – that every Championship club will aspire to getting into the Premiership. He was also saying that in the following season Rotherham – like the other 23 clubs in the Championship- would be trying to get to the top, which, again, is obvious. He wasn’t making a promise to do so and, realistically, it was extremely unlikely to happen (and, of course, didn’t).

Stewart is not great at PR (although I would suspect that any attempt by him to manage expectations would be met on here with cries of ‘no ambition’ and ‘move aside’ etc.), but I do wonder if the problem that creates is compounded by supporters reading things into his words that aren’t there.

It’s up to you whether you try to find more quotations. I would be interested in seeing them if you do, but I would imagine that you may have other things to do too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    I think January speaks for itself!
    But what does it say?

On the face of it, recruitment did not meet the level that was talked about. The reason for that is unclear, however. The club says that they tried to bring than one player in, but that it didn’t happen for one reason or another. I find that explanantion more realistic than a suggestion that the club deliberately misled its supporters and players – what is the evidence for that and what would be the motive?

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    It would be entirely possible, if a bit pointless, for a club to operate without supporters. If you look at a club like Bournemouth, the funding it receives from matchday revenues is dwarfed by that it receives from broadcasting rights and in loans (which I would imagine are from its owner). They could brick up the turnstiles with very limited impact upon the revenue at the club.

There are bad owners and good owners. There are also owners who get into club ownership with unrealistic expectations and who then find they have bitten off more than they can chew, but who can't find a buyer in order to get out. I would say that most owners, give a shyte to one degree or another or they wouldn’t get into it. Whether protesting fans are justified in their actions, would depend upon the circumstances of the club in question.

I read the line "Fans not happy about the investment that is going into their club. Trust me, without them [the owners], they wouldn't have a club." and thought of some of the postings on here. Essentially, some posters are unhappy that Tony Stewart is not spending enough of his money to meet their aspirations.

I get all that Kerr, the fans that will be unhappy though are them that think their club well owners are not doing the best or are ruining their club, clearly clubs need fans and owners but it was a bit stupid of him to make that statement when some fans have been unhappy and protested about their owners, rightly or wrongly imo

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast