+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead positively

Beginning to get my head round the disappointment today. Overriding thought is if we had binned that effing Shambles earlier Robbie would have taken us up with a league win.

I hope Robbie has learned from some of the mistakes he has made, as I believe he is the right man for the job. Massive task for him this summer and next season. Quietly confident we will have a very good season ahead.

Personally looking forward to it already.

PS Excellent OP shedka.

Quote Originally Posted by USArab View Post
    I think once the dust settles and everybody sees it in the cold light of day most will agree with this. Everyone is raw after today.

Tomorrow brings a new dawn, new season and new perspective.
    USArab yes we are all raw, but it is more to do with the manner of defeat from my perspective, too many times we have been found wanting in important games and against average sides.

I thought Harkes was pretty woeful yesterday and Bouhenna didn't play as well as he is capable of; even our preferred strikers were not at the races. Defensively the central pairing were bad as I have seen them. For me apart from GK only Watson and Robson got pass marks.

I think we should have kept Nesbitt as he had something to prove and although a bit light weight, in the games I had seen him he made a positive impact. Pawlett has the history of being a good player but produced very little in both games, notwithstanding injury. Sow, there is a player there but he just doesn't look interested at this level and I suspect he will be gone if a suitable bid comes in.

We need more pace in attack and out and out wingers. Not playing central strikers in positions that are not natural to them. Pav was wasted and did not have the influence he usually has. We need a hungry striker and not a has been a la McDonald. Shankland could have been ours but Ray went for experience.

We couldn't even make a telling pass where it matters.

I dont mind getting beat by teams that are better, but St Mirren weren't/aren't albeit better on the day. I wont be calling for Robbie's head, but he needs to sort out his tactics and game management, which have been found wanting at mainly crucial times. Arguably he MAY have done better had he been brought in earlier, however that said he had enough opportunities to close gaps and even win the league, but he didn't.

I think we need to be out the traps quickly next season and I don't think the league gets any easier and we can make it difficult for ourselves, we could make shopping difficult.

Yes I am raw but more annoyed than anything, however Dundee United is the team i support and will always do so, whatever league we are in.

Quote Originally Posted by NOSCOTCAPS View Post
    I thought Harkes was pretty woeful yesterday and Bouhenna didn't play as well as he is capable of; even our preferred strikers were not at the races. Defensively the central pairing were bad as I have seen them.
    We are all hurting, I understand that. But, did I miss us getting a five goal hammering yesterday? 🤔

While I'm all for giving Neilson plenty time to get things right, it's a damning indictment of his own recruitment if he only deemed 3 of his 11 signings worthy of a start in our biggest game of the season.

Just got to hope our summer recruitment is much better. Liam Smith is a good start, especially with how poor Watson was in the last two games.

Quote Originally Posted by arabmark View Post
    While I'm all for giving Neilson plenty time to get things right, it's a damning indictment of his own recruitment if he only deemed 3 of his 11 signings worthy of a start in our biggest game of the season.

Just got to hope our summer recruitment is much better. Liam Smith is a good start, especially with how poor Watson was in the last two games.
    Just shows how different us fans are as i thought Watson was one of the better players. He might only be a back up next season, but another who can cover a few positions.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    We are all hurting, I understand that. But, did I miss us getting a five goal hammering yesterday? ��
    There was no chance of us getting hammered yesterday as we were set up to contain them,in simple terms the weakness in both teams was the defence so i cannot understand bringing on Safranko and playing him wide.The manager should have gambled and put two up top against their back 3.
    I realise its easy saying that in hindsight but that is what i would have done.If you have defenders who keep launching the ball 60 yards up the pitch at least its 2 against their 3 instead of 1.
    Last edited by GUNBOAT; 27-05-2019 at 11:41 AM.

I think the main beacon of hope is how stable the squad will be next season. We started yesterday's game with 4 centre halves on the pitch and two left backs. Our 3 forward thinking players didn't have their best game but at least one playing out of position. Suggests there is some way to go to get the balance correct (formation/personnel) but already recruitment for next season is positive. I am not keen on criticising individuals for specific performances and actually think we have a decent squad, fair enough substitutions didn't go our way yesterday but easy to criticise in hindsight.

Hoping that with the positivity of a new season we can start going out with an attitude to win rather than not lose. Try use the full potential of the squad in more flexible ways/formations. Hoping the rigid system was a means to an end in the midst of so much change this season.

As is always the way with football, disappointment quickly gets replaced by hope for better to come. Bring on August (July I suppose too)

Quote Originally Posted by arabmark View Post

The squad he inherited was inadequate and required drastic surgery. January is never the best time for getting the right players in due to player availability, time to assess, fitting all the players in quickly etc.The whole infrastructure of the club is being changed and I would hope we will have a more planned out summer.

It is worth remembering the team Laszlo started off the season with against Dunfermline. Its frightening to think the board put their faith in that to get us up.

Rakovan,
    Wardrop,
    Frans,
    Edjenguele,
    Robson,
    Stanton,
    Rabitsch,
    Loemba,
    Barton,
    Clark,
    Curran

Points wise though Robbie would have had us up as champions. Robbie needs the summer. My biggest gripe with him is going in to the play off final far too cautiously when it was there to be won. I hope he learns from his mistakes.

Despite all this positivity and we will come back stronger stuff no-one has answered the question from last night posed by me and Jjufllup, why is it we are unable to string 3 passes together ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Just shows how different us fans are as i thought Watson was one of the better players. He might only be a back up next season, but another who can cover a few positions.

Defensively he wasn't too bad, but his distribution was poor (along with Connolly). Headers out the park and slack passes when there was no pressure on him is not good enough to warrant a regular start in my opinion. He is by no means the main culprit, but offers nothing going forward.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)