+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Some reflections.......

Doesn't suggest that at all as its not as simple as that, you can't compare County starting with everything in place last season, I doubt they'd have collected as many pts early on with the pressure on all season from us for a start

Also we had three different teams through the season, the one that started under Laszlo, the one we initially went with under Neilson, then that post January team, we are a work in progress, a transition season finished

The chance to build properly, plenty to be enthusiastic and positive about and no we would not be happy to be scrambling about the bottom of the top league for three consecutive seasons like the fun just have, it's much more soul destroying losing most games even in the league above

You'd accept it for a season maybe of finding your feet, but I'd expect its to be a surprise package early on and finish in the 6-9th range first season back

Nothing like being contrary for the sake of it eh?
    County did just fine getting wins regardless of any “pressure” from our results especially towards the end of the season.
    All it is, is an indicative comparison, unscientific but directionally relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Doesn't suggest that at all as its not as simple as that, you can't compare County starting with everything in place last season, I doubt they'd have collected as many pts early on with the pressure on all season from us for a start.
    And also we played County before Robbie took over.

And we played them after as well!
    Jeezus forget it!

The point is, if you are changing our points total before he arrived based on Robbie's subsequent record it would have an effect on RC's, seeing as we played them. So, in fantasy land, we won the Championship. 😂

As interesting as it is, ultimately it makes no difference. Gives us hope for next season though?

That’s all it ever was, an indicative position on direction....
    Not one game here and there specific! There is always the ifs and buts and all that, it is only statistically trending.
    So yes it does say it’s on the right trajectory and we should be enthusiastic and positive and get behind the players manager and owners!
    And by the way in fantasy land as you call it we probably wouldn’t have or possibly could have....its irrelevant. Especially if you try to take single games and such like into consideration.

My second reflection is that we did enough to finish second despite playing some really poor football. We then played very poorly twice against a very average St Mirren side. Why is that? I'm still reflecting on it!

It seems to me that some folk are quick to gloss over the facts in their haste to be optimistic about next season.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    My second reflection is that we did enough to finish second despite playing some really poor football. We then played very poorly twice against a very average St Mirren side. Why is that? I'm still reflecting on it!

It seems to me that some folk are quick to gloss over the facts in their haste to be optimistic about next season.
    That’s what gives me probably the most hope!
    We were rank rotten lots of the time and still finished second, only a couple of wins off top!
    In my blindly optimistic way I’m thinking another 3 or 4 wins next year versus this year could get us up!
    Cue the contrary replies....

I think your are spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerPetric View Post
    69.43 points by my calculations. So where we were. That said it there would have been more pressure on County if we’d been closer to them and who knows how it would have turned out.
    That’s correct. Neilson’s points average over the season was 1.92 so 69 over whole season. Worth pointing out that since deadline day that increased to 2.07 which over 36 games = 74.56 so enough to win the league.

Considering he took over a side that who were averaging 1.37, I consider it a job well done. Start next season as we finished this one and others will struggle to keep up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)