+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite match ever ...

Favourite match ever ...

With not many United matches to watch at the moment I was thinking what would be my favourite ever United match

For me the 1994 Cup final would be the one.

Great to beat rangers prior to them going out of existence

It was a wonderful day for the likes of Malpas and his side to enjoy Hampden glory

The way Brewster’s goal fell to him, the way we played and the celebrations were a joy

Another favourite might be League cup win against Hibs in 97 I remember. Chic Charnley missed a penalty and we ended up winning 2-1 with an electric atmosphere.

Third favourite the play off win over Partick - I’m too young to have attended the European glory days

I’d be interested to hear of any special nights at Tannadice for atmosphere, or great matches for how we played or what we achieved

Everyone must have a personal favourite that encapsulates what United are about
    Last edited by LSArab; 19-03-2020 at 12:31 AM.

Scottish Cup just streamed this match in its entirety on their YouTube chennel last night. Was a wonderful watch. What a day that was!!

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Scottish Cup just streamed this match in its entirety on their YouTube chennel last night. Was a wonderful watch. What a day that was!!
    I watched it on the YouTube channel as well, I was at the game and I've watching it back a few times, but not in a long time.

How well did we play in the first half? Daily & Brewster were excellent, Welsh had the game of his life and Petric just strolled through the entire game.

Tactics throuout were excellent. Up and at them in the first half and had them rattled, then after the goal sat back a bit and looked to hit on the break.

How did we get relegated the season after this?!

Great watch last night, hopefully get a few more United games like that on the channel. Or is there other full games already there??

The league cup final v Aberdeen. United's first major trophy. Full dens park and a brilliant atmosphere, especially if you were a Utd fan.

Quote Originally Posted by DUFC4EVER View Post
    I watched it on the YouTube channel as well, I was at the game and I've watching it back a few times, but not in a long time.

How well did we play in the first half? Daily & Brewster were excellent, Welsh had the game of his life and Petric just strolled through the entire game.

Tactics throuout were excellent. Up and at them in the first half and had them rattled, then after the goal sat back a bit and looked to hit on the break.

Great watch last night, hopefully get a few more United games like that on the channel. Or is there other full games already there??
    THAT save by Van de Kamp from Mihailicenkos shot in the 2nd half. Match winning.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    THAT save by Van de Kamp from Mihailicenkos shot in the 2nd half. Match winning.
    Aye, his face after Guido saved it as well. He couldn't believe it lol

Quote Originally Posted by DUFC4EVER View Post

Because for every 1994 and 3-0 at Ibrox, Golac’s teams produced some right guff. Don’t get me wrong, he is still a legend and maybe the right man for the right time when it came to laying to rest the Hoodoo, but (controversially I know) a lot of the time otherwise he could be a clueless halfwit.

Asides from the obvious ones, the game I would love to re-live would have to be the 5-1 Scottish Cup massacre of the Funny Lot in 1980 with four goal Wullie P and all that. That was the night that the Baton Of Superiority was (if not already) passed from one side of the divide to the other. And it’s remained Tangerine ever since.

11th September 1965. Didn't realise it at the time but looking back that after promotion this 5-0 victory was the next big step towards taking over as top club in Dundee. Didna even notice the bloke making his debut for the Fun that day (James Y McLean) Dossing (what a striker he was wonder what he'd be worth today) hatrick Lenny Wing pen and Oor Dennis. Bus hame later Bluenoses pusses tripping them. Telt we were 'lucky arab *******s' couldna care less aff the bus walking on air to meh hoose. Couldna wait on the Sporting Post coming in. Musta been tears in DFC Thompsons that night.

Quote Originally Posted by GFLower View Post
    11th September 1965. Didn't realise it at the time but looking back that after promotion this 5-0 victory was the next big step towards taking over as top club in Dundee. Didna even notice the bloke making his debut for the Fun that day (James Y McLean) Dossing (what a striker he was wonder what he'd be worth today) hatrick Lenny Wing pen and Oor Dennis. Bus hame later Bluenoses pusses tripping them. Telt we were 'lucky arab *******s' couldna care less aff the bus walking on air to meh hoose. Couldna wait on the Sporting Post coming in. Musta been tears in DFC Thompsons that night.
    ^^^ This tied with Dundee Utd 2 Barcelona 0 1966. Was like a dream.

Been lucky to live through what will probably end up being the greatest ever period in our clubs history. So many outstanding players,performances & results. There was a time in the 80s when I expected United to be able to beat any team at any level. Man Utd,Monaco,Anderlecht,Barca. Made no difference Utd could & would put them to the sword. But for me the one that tops them all was Borussia at Tannadice. 2-0 down from the first leg I still turned up full of confidence & right from kick off united produced the most attack minded performance I have ever witnessed. They were relentles & lethal right from the kick off that night & it was all topped off by the most magical goal scored by my all time favourite United player(clues in the name). A glorious rapier of a run from the halfway mark leaving the opposition in his wake. Final score 5-0 (5-2 agg) & it could have been more. Glory Days indeed & sadly unlikely to ever be seen again. Thanks for the memory United & especially the mighty Mr. Bannon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)