+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boris has his Collar Felt

Boris has his Collar Felt

Well, if he is found guilty then plenty of politicians will be very worried.

But....if it results in more honesty in our politics then that is a good thing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48445430

Like the Lib Dems saying they would not raise tuition fees? That kind of honesty do you mean Councillor?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19646731

Some ****wits crowdfunded £200,000 to waste a court's time on this fatuous nonsense ? Could their local foodbanks not have made better use of this money ? I keep saying it, we truly live in a lunatic asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Some ****wits crowdfunded £200,000 to waste a court's time on this fatuous nonsense ? Could their local foodbanks not have made better use of this money ? I keep saying it, we truly live in a lunatic asylum.
    I was never sure whether it was fact or fiction, but listening to Farage and BoJo during the pre-referendum knockabouts I sort of guessed it was made up blarney. If it becomes a criminal offence for telling made up "Porkies," the London jails will be crowded out with our phucking MP's. We are going to hell in a handcart and this BoJo bollox takes top priority? Jesus phucking wept (again!)

The whole point of it was to illustrate that we pay enormous sums to the EU, to do things we are perfectly capable of doing for ourselves, which we could spend on our chosen priorities like the NHS instead, should we so wish. The actual amount is irrelevant, does anyone have an actual figure, it must vary every year, but it worked a treat, the Remainers walked right into the trap, the more they whined about it, the more people became aware of the obscene amounts of money we send annually to Brussels. And that is what really upset them, why the toys are out of the pram, Boris and his bus outsmarted them, made them look like amateurs, and for that he cannot be forgiven.

You have to hope this just another infantile tantrum by Remain snowflakes and it dies a death, before anyone starts poring over what the likes of Osborne and Carney were saying would happen in the event of a Leave vote. Sue, Grabbit and Run could have a field day with Project Fear.

I would dearly love to know how much we actually wire across to Brussels every month?

Attachment 12824

I am very surprised at some of the responses above.

I am making a general point here and not concentrating on the Boris thing.

Wouldn't you agree with me that, if a politician or political party lied to us in order to get us to vote for them then they should be punished? Doesn't matter who, Lib Dem, Tory, Labour, Brexit Party.
    Wouldn't it be great if we had more trust in our politics?

No company in the UK could get away with claims such as, "If you cover your bald head with miracle NoMoreSlaphead you will have a full head of hair within a week". They would be severely punished and we all agree that is right?

So if someone claims that "If we vote leave then we will need an emergency budget" or that "Turkey are joining the EU and millions of Turks will swamp the UK" do you really think they should get away scot free?
    Remember, in a tight situation such claims could tip the balance.

If you disagree with me then where do you draw the line? Should they be allowed a free pass to say and do what they like for personal and party gain without penalty? Does this personal gain extend to lying about their expenses? It could mean the difference between getting elected, and a well paid job for the liar whilst their opponent loses out on the well paid job because their opponent lied to the public.

So yes, I think that all our politicians should be subject to scrutiny and punished if they lie.

I am glad that we are finally doing this and , like I say, if Boris loses then the floodgates will be opened

You may be making a general point 59, but the person behind this court case isn't, it's being brought by an individual well known to be suffering a severe case of BDS, and is specifically aimed at Boris.

On your general point, there is a place where lying politicians are called to account, it's called a ballot box. No need to drag Clegg and the LibDems through the courts over their tuition fee lies was there, the electorate delivered their own verdict in their own good time. Which is the way it should be.
    Last edited by sinkov; 29-05-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Sorry Sinkov, that's not good enough.

It's quite simple to my tiny little mind, if a politician, or political party tells lies that they KNOW to be lies, then they should be punished.
    Like I said, the result could be that the liar wins fame and fortune while their opponent loses the same.
    And for the loser this means that their chance has gone for five years.
    In the case of a referendum, that chance may not come again.
    If you are condoning lying, in ANY walk of life, if you really think that to lie is OK, then you are not the bloke I thought you were.
    And I would say exactly the same whoever the liar was.

But I must take issue with you over the tuition fee thing. Yes, Nick Clegg has been slaughtered by the medis as the worlds biggest liar over this.
    But cast your mind back to the situation in 2010. The country was in the middle of a massive financial crisis. A stable Government was a must. The Lib dems tried in vain to broker a deal with Labour but they weren't interested. I remember Paddy Ashdown coming out of a meeting with Labour politicians where they basically refused to negotiate. Ashdown was fuming and called them "Cowards".

So we HAD to do a deal with the Tories. The Tories had 306 seats and the Lib Dems 57.
    There was no way that the Lib Dems were going to get it's entire manifesto enacted, and the same with the Tories.

Looking back, I am amazed at how much influence the Lib Dems managed to get. £10K starting rate for tax, a good increase in pensions with a built in triple lock for future rises, people premium which helps loads of disadvantaged kids, our green policies resulted in our emissions falling much faster than predicted (although this is no longer the case), blocking the "snoopers charter" and plenty more.

But, as I said, there was no way either the Tories or the Lib Dems could get their full manifestos enacted, and the Lib Dems didn't manage to get their tuition fee policy agreed.

I'm afraid it is good enough 59, I'm perfectly capable of knowing when a politician is lying, I don't need a judge or a so-called BBC Fact Checker to tell me. The idea that any and every politically motivated crank can challenge anything a politician says that he/she deems dishonest, disputable, debatable or contentious in a court of law, is ludicrous even by LibDem standards. I'm amazed thst someone as intelligent and sensible as you clearly are is pushing this nonsense. Or are you on a wind up you little monkey, and I've bit ?

On the Boris bus, I was delighted to see the Remoaners wetting their knickers over it, and decided to do a bit of research myself at the time. It was impossible to pin down a precise figure, it varied by a billion or two depending on which source you used and which year you checked, but it was quite possible to arrive at Boris's figure if you took some of the higher recent estimates. And of course if you want to be pedantic about it, and which Remoaners don't, you could argue that we don't actually send that amount, the refunds and rebates are deducted before we send them the loot, but the general point is still valid, the Boris Bus was simply pointing out the fact that the EU screw us for an awful lot of money, and Remoaners took great exception to this being pointed out in such a spectacularly successful fashion.
    Last edited by sinkov; 29-05-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)